Forums

Help › Forums

No search bar

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 27 2020 8:42 PM (40 replies)
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2020 2:12 PM

Do you think that the search box has something to do with flash?

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2020 8:02 PM

DonCaron:

Do you think that the search box has something to do with flash?

Wouldn't think so. The right navigation column, including search, displays with my iPad. 

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 1:18 AM

Robert1893:
    I pieced together a couple of screen shots to show how this page displays on my iPhone. Note that the left navigation column is completely missing. It's just white space.

Been like that for a long time now. When reading the forums I am missing friend invites because of this. I play on my laptop.

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 4:25 AM

Left Side Column
    - On most Mobile devices the left side column will not show any info because it is Flash based and there is no Flash in mobile web browsers, this is especially true with Apple products because Apple (Steve Jobs) hated Flash.
    -  On a PC/Laptop it will not show on all pages because it will not work with secured pages (Https) but will show on unsecured pages (Http) Unfortunately WGT pages are a mix of secured and unsecured pages. It should show your friends list on the main WGT home page and your personal profile page (and maybe a few others)   
    -There is a sort of workaround and you can get the Friends List to load on some pages by deleting the "s" in the Https for the page in the URL bar.

Right Side Column
    - This area is not Flash based and should easily show up. I personally use an iPhone that is fully up to date and it is there on mine. As I said earlier there have been some instances on the main forum page where it does not show up but if I just hit the refresh screen button in the URL bar it shows up.
    I however have not had the RH column missing from my pages to try refreshing or been able to recreate that on the actual post pages such as this one. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 7:06 AM

@MarchieB

But here's the thing. On my iPhone, the ads in the left column do display. On the iPad, the ads don't display. 

And as I mention above, the whole right navigation column does display on my iPad. But the ads on the left don't. 

It's hinky. It could just be a Safari issue. I haven't tried other browsers.  

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 8:08 AM

I've been having a look in the dev tools over this issue and it appears that the 'CommonSidebar' ( the area that some of you are not seeing ) has a styling attribute applied to it which removes it from the page when the browser width is below 760 pixels. You can test this on a page where the sidebar is showing, by squishing your browser window until it is less than 760 pixels wide, at which point the sidebar should disappear. (Browser zoom will affect this width, set to 100% for accuracy). VIDEO

Maybe if you look at the page in landscape mode (sideways) the missing bit will reappear, provided your landscape mode gives you more than 760 pixels.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 8:19 AM

@scott

On the iPhone, I had tried viewing in both portrait and landscape. In both, it displayed the same. 

Edit: I tried a different browser than Safari. Using Opera Mini, the right navigation column displays when I select view "desktop site." On Safari, it still doesn't display when desktop site is selected. 

So, I'm more convinced it's a browser issue and not a WGT issue. But I could be wrong.

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 8:32 AM

Thanks Rob, I'm just looking at the stylesheets now...

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 8:35 AM

👍

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2020 9:06 AM

There appear to be two style attributes controlling the visibility of the sidebar. One shows it, the other hides it. Both are active when the device/browser are greater than 760 pixels wide, but the 'show' attribute takes precedence.

When the device/browser is less than 760 pixels wide, the sidebars 'show' attribute becomes deactivated and the 'hide' attribute takes over. If the device has a screen width of less than 760 pixels, the sidebar never appears.

Does that concur with your situations?

RSS