Forums

Help › Forums

Game Forfeits

Sat, Mar 25 2023 5:19 PM (35 replies)
  • pwb19699
    1 Posts
    Tue, Aug 4 2020 3:39 PM
    Please update the game so that players who forfeit the game, get penalised even more for doing so. I’m sick of some of the higher tier players in particular who forfeit each time they’re going to lose a game, so their stats as to the number of games won (and whatever else it benefits them in doing so). One of the most annoying aspects of the game and until these players are penalised for doing this, they’ll continue to do it.
  • SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2020 11:52 AM

pwb19699:
    Please update the game so that players who forfeit the game, get penalised even more for doing so. I’m sick of some of the higher tier players in particular who forfeit each time they’re going to lose a game, so their stats as to the number of games won (and whatever else it benefits them in doing so). One of the most annoying aspects of the game and until these players are penalised for doing this, they’ll continue to do it.

This has been brought up many times. Unfortunately nothing has been done, it’s an online video game, some players just don’t think about others.  

• Farrell61
    5 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2020 5:10 AM

Fully agree (that and they need to fix the glitchy swing meter).  There are legitimate reasons to forfeit (urgent phone call, someone at door, etc) but too many forfeit when they are about to lose.  Perhaps they could block a player from playing for 10-15 minutes after a forfeit?  They need to do something.

On the other hand, kudos to those players who stick with the round when losing.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2020 9:55 AM

Farrell61:
    Perhaps they could block a player from playing for 10-15 minutes after a forfeit?  They need to do something.

oh sweet this discussion again.

Initial info I rarely forfeit because I usually am in it until the last green and putts don't count for ball hits.

However. This stuff about being offended and then being whiny is just asinine. And childlike.

First and foremost: In what way are you hurt by someone forfeiting? Answer none. I mean feel free to come up with something but the answer is none.

Someone always mentions win loss rate. No one cares about their win loss rate other than as a ballpark to compare to other months. No one sees my or your win loss rate other than each person themselves.  no one else knows if i'm having a good or bad run other than me.

Why do most forfeit? Biggest reason is: It's time. If they are doing  an apparel run then it's about maxing out rounds in that 30 minutes. If it's a turf war get the next round going for a potential win.

So let's say i gamble and hit my tee shot on Olympic 1 and it catches that tree and dumps it in the rough. Is it worth it to kill 5 minutes for 1 hole or 15 minutes for 3 holes when I'm probably going to lose anyway. 

If it's an apparel run if i jump out i can get 1-2 more potential wins than if i stayed for a measley 3 apparel points. 24-130 potential points vs 3...  hmm...

let's say i Look at my timer on my apparel run and start a round with 3 minutes left and i dump the tee shot.. hit in water. bad rough. can't reach green etc etc etc. I know that im probably going to lose if i play it out. and then the timer is over. If i forfeit out. i can get another round going that I'm more likely to win.

So bottom line. It's not ego. There is quite literally no reason to finish out a match that you can't win. Ever watch a match play game where people concede holes and the match????

Anyway. Yet again. to anyone that complains about forfeits. Use your brain and be offended less. 

• arkage57
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2020 3:48 PM

Mythanatos:

First and foremost: In what way are you hurt by someone forfeiting? Answer none. I mean feel free to come up with something but the answer is none.

I fully agree. 

Except for when I was playing in Showdown and my opp rage quit on the first hole, and because of that I was assigned 2 bogeys in the Elimination round. 

But yeah, there is no legitimate reason to complain about forfeits, ever.

Ark

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 9:24 AM

arkage57:
    my opp rage quit on the first hole, and because of that I was assigned 2 bogeys in the Elimination round.

The only way this hurts you badly is if they do it before anyone hits a tee shot on hole 1 during a showdown. This one does suck. there is nothing you can do if this happens. (also why many won't pay the 1000 entry fee for expert. due to this risk)

There is also the occasional bug where they forfeit out and the game won't let you resume.

you have two options.

Retry and cancel.

NEVER HIT CANCEL.

if retry doesn't work and it almost never does when it pops up during a showdown, instead of hitting cancel. force close your game out and restart the app.

You will have to redo that particular set of three holes but this is better than getting bogeys. I've had instances where this has occurred and i did better than i was doing prior and also where i've done worse. just a current bug in the game.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 11:50 AM

arkage57:
    Except for when I was playing in Showdown and my opp rage quit on the first hole,

This is why WGT should find a way - such as creating a showdown ONLY coin room where you are matched up against other showdown players... quitting will have the punitive effect of awarding bogies...

Look it does not even matter who your opponent is or what room you play in.   All that matters is the score you post...

You already see severely outmatched low level players being matched up against some Experts in the 100k room that may end up forfeiting on them, whereas a rookie.. even if outmatched can't forfeit without getting hit with bogies--

So why does it matter if the Expert is playing a lower tier opponent or even matter what room they play... They have Experts playing off easy tees with jacked up sponsor apparel as if that makes the game harder.. it is just silly.

Everyone can access the Showdown until the qualification ends - but once it does WGT locks that room / tab from being entered... but they don't block random players from playing other showdown players even when they are not entering through the showdown.

Why not create a room specific coin room that can only be accessed if you have entered or qualified for the showdown?  This would eliminate all random matchups with players who are not penalized for forfeiting.

It may not resolve all the issues or problems but I can foresee how it could eliminate some of them.  -- Along with placing a timer on the amount of time you have to wait for a matchup to be made so you don't accidentally back out of a room, which some have done.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 12:17 PM

el3n1:
    such as creating a showdown ONLY coin room where you are matched up against other showdown players... quitting will have the punitive effect of awarding bogies...

The problem with this is finding matchups. 6 different sets of 3 on each of the last two rounds.

the order is random. 

Let's say there are 200 people in the room.. You still need to find one doing the showdown that hasn't done whatever your remaining sets are.  Might be impossible without waiting hours on the last morning.

Be easier just to fix the stupid bogey bug on first tee. and the occasional round hangup. (at least there is a workaround for the latter albeit not a great solution. )

• arkage57
    2,816 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 12:51 PM

The entire Showdown needs to be scrapped and restructured. Every bit of it is flawed. 

I'm not risking any credits on forfeits by my opps that cost me strokes, so I'm only playing cheap Rookie division. I know for a fact, that this is the case right up the skill level ladder. 

The prize structure does not lend itself to anyone risking credits.  I win balls that I do not use. I win apparel that I do not use. I win more worthless coins that I do not use. 

As I said I play in Rookie. Yes, I get "matched" vs Hacks, Amateurs, etc etc. But it's not really me vs them, it's each of us vs the course.  So, why in Rookie division are there heavy winds on St Andrews, Chambers Bay, Pebble Beach.... AND 12 greens???/ Shouldn't the conditions be in line with the tier of the division? 

How about a benefit from playing that comes back to the country club? Like a TW or Clash, it would incentivize more participation. 

I don't know why I keep doing it. It's a complete waste of time, and it just causes more aggravation.

Give me the option of just forfeiting my coin room fee, let me play my holes solo and be done with the rage quitting.  (I couldn't blame my opp- we're on Merion with 12 greens and he's only a Pro level. How is he supposed to figure out those breaks?)

Anyway....

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 1:06 PM

Mythanatos:

The problem with this is finding matchups. 6 different sets of 3 on each of the last two rounds.

the order is random. 

Not necessarily...I was not suggesting restricting each room to only those participating in the showdown within each division... so expert does not have to wait on expert they could play one of the hundreds or thousands of Rookies. 

And even if you waited a little longer - knowing you would be less likely to get forfeited on... I think most people would be willing to make that tradeoff - knowing if their opponent forfeits they would end up with bogies on their card.

I don't anticipate seeing a change either way... it has been over 8 months and the same issues remain.  But I am aware it is an ongoing concern so there have to be options or things that could possibly be done...

But I also acknowledge, WGT is not always completely at fault... when there are people out there intentionally trying to cause the glitch to take coins from an opponent, even when they are losing...  because they have discovered they have won by doing the rage quit in the past... so they end up trying to replicate it... 

I think WGT has possibly tried to reduce that happening as well... but believe it too continues. 

It gets old reporting the same issue and these type of issues have gone on for years ... long before the showdown even started.  It could easily have been a foreseeable problem that needed to be sorted out beforehand.  They have taken some steps to allow players to continue with their round, but it does  not always work unfortunately.  

RSS