Forums

Help › Forums

Creative ways to lower one's scoring average?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 19 2020 10:54 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2020 9:40 AM
    Top rated players , on here have bad days too. Just like the pros on tv, it happens, I've seen tiger, Spieth, and lots of others shoot scores of 5 or more over par. Most of the higher scores your probably looking at, are clash scores. Reminds me of an old quote, something about judging a book ?
  • Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2020 11:02 AM

Robbob1970:
    But as old m8 said and you took offence to, would you rather be hitting into the 5th at Merion on 9 or 13's, if you're objective is to drive down a false handicap.

If you're referring to me then I can clarify that I took no offence whatsoever to the suggestion that playing standard-speed greens all the time is an advantage. From my own experience I don't see it that way, but that's why I asked the question. I did however take offence to the response that it was "rather ridiculous not to think that". 

Robbob1970:
    Maybe move those warm up rounds back to the car-park

And again, if you're referring to my club and 'The Weekly-Warm-Up' tournament that we have, then you are off-base if you think it is meant as an average-buster. We don't do those in our club and the vast majority of all our many club tournament rounds are 18-hole, single-play and from the tips. The Weekly Warm-Up is meant exactly as it's titled, a chance to play something short, easy and warm up your clicking fingers before playing one of the competitive club tournament rounds. Half the time those warm-up rounds are on Best Of or Custom Courses anyway so the scores have no effect on a player's average. 

• Robbob1970
    113 Posts
    Tue, Aug 11 2020 5:43 AM

Wutpa:
    If you're referring to me

Luckily for the rest of us it's not about you. See the OP wanted to know about the creative ways to lower the average. Here, we have demonstrated that to them.

Champions are champions because of the effort they have put in over many many hours. However, their skill might not always be reflective in their average if that effort has been applied to club "warm-up", "handicap smashers", "average tamers" call 'em what you like.

And it shows when you met them in virtual life or they start playing tournaments. Rest easy cobber

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Aug 11 2020 11:58 AM

papapotato:

I'm confused. As a fairly new member who plays daily and is trying to climb up in rank, I see a lot of Legends and Champions with amazing scoring averages in the 50's. However, when I look at their stats and scores, they don't seem to score much better than I do - many of their recent rounds are 32's, 33's etc. like mine.

Am I missing something here? Not expressing sour grapes but would like to know the trick. lol.

Actually there is no trick . Some players think that a low 50 average is impressive or should I say intimidating to other players .Shooting low 30`s -or lower takes time and skill from the real players .Some players manipulate their averages by playing cc rounds set up from the easy tees . 

Now if you want to tier up what you can do is set up a tournament in your cc . Hit from your respective tees using regular green speed and low wind setting . Always play from your normal tees that way you can improve your game play . Playing from easier tees will only hurt your playing in the long run .

As others have mentioned its easy to reach a higher tier . But when you meet a real player at that level then you will find out , just how much you will have missed out by trying to take short cuts to the top .

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Tue, Aug 11 2020 12:36 PM

Robbob1970:
    Luckily for the rest of us it's not about you. See the OP wanted to know about the creative ways to lower the average. Here, we have demonstrated that to them.

I wrote a reply to this but....whatever. Life's too short, so I've deleted it. I have my opinion about what you wrote but I'll keep it to myself and leave it at that.

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2020 12:04 AM

lonniescott711:

papapotato:

I'm confused. As a fairly new member who plays daily and is trying to climb up in rank, I see a lot of Legends and Champions with amazing scoring averages in the 50's. However, when I look at their stats and scores, they don't seem to score much better than I do - many of their recent rounds are 32's, 33's etc. like mine.

Am I missing something here? Not expressing sour grapes but would like to know the trick. lol.

Actually there is no trick . Some players think that a low 50 average is impressive or should I say intimidating to other players .Shooting low 30`s -or lower takes time and skill from the real players .Some players manipulate their averages by playing cc rounds set up from the easy tees . 

Now if you want to tier up what you can do is set up a tournament in your cc . Hit from your respective tees using regular green speed and low wind setting . Always play from your normal tees that way you can improve your game play . Playing from easier tees will only hurt your playing in the long run .

As others have mentioned its easy to reach a higher tier . But when you meet a real player at that level then you will find out , just how much you will have missed out by trying to take short cuts to the top .

Well said Lonnie!!!

• jacktrade51
    10,896 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2020 7:54 PM

papapotato:

There is no trick here.  It is a lot of practice and a lot of learning about holes.  To pick an easy set, BP 10-12, how many yards does one add to each shot.  I can give you that answer, although I do not always execute correctly.

I agree with above comment about 12 or 13 speed ... then any 10 speed or below is a challenge.

Tom.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2020 5:14 AM

yep.  At Lone Stars, we have a series of tournaments that are average droppers.  low to moderate winds, 10 greens, usually 1 tee box before the parking lot.  You still have to play well to score well.  If you don't, you'll be looking at a 31 or 32 9 hole score.

We also have tournaments routinely set up with 13 greens and nasty winds.  Yes, your average may go up, but you will be a better player.  In this is our season long "PGA Tour."

I know exactly who you mean.  You play a TC with a 51 average, you look at their score history.  You know within 2 holes if that's legit.  If we are playing moderate winds, and they have 125 to the hole, and are outside of 12', barring a misshit, you know that they are a paper champ.  Someone with a 51 average does't put their ball outside of 12' regardless of wind.  It happens...occassionally, but i highly doubt it's more than 4 times over an 18 hole round.

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2020 10:54 PM

papapotato:

If you want to be competitive, earn credits, and actually know what you’re shot is going to do then you’ll need to get out there and take notes, mental or paper. Chart your clubs from any and every situation, Bc getting out of a bunker or fescue to get a birdie is one of the best feelings when you are prepared for it. Having a low average is just numbers on your profile, and as people have said above, does you no good when your opponent beats you within the first 2-3 holes. Several holes across various courses don’t play true to the numbers, as such this requires the player to adapt.

A lot of the top guys don’t make very many mistakes, and if it does happen, they know how to recover from it whether it be short game or with the putter. Most of your top players are very good putters, but to help facilitate this you need to be able to get your shots on target.

Cheers,

BABZ 

• PAGES
RSS