Forums

Help › Forums

Creative ways to lower one's scoring average?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 19 2020 10:54 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • papapotato
    120 Posts
    Tue, Aug 4 2020 1:30 PM

I'm confused. As a fairly new member who plays daily and is trying to climb up in rank, I see a lot of Legends and Champions with amazing scoring averages in the 50's. However, when I look at their stats and scores, they don't seem to score much better than I do - many of their recent rounds are 32's, 33's etc. like mine.

Am I missing something here? Not expressing sour grapes but would like to know the trick. lol.

• 6lennn
    17 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2020 2:42 PM

Cut n paste from the FAQ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier. Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won't matter. Please note that scores from the Best of Par 3 stroke play course will not be counted towards your Tier ranking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Dave33200
    2,932 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2020 6:03 PM

Once you saturate your ranked rounds within your current tier, your higher score’s no longer count towards your average. Only the lower scores will count to the average. Once you move up in a tier the average is reset and it starts all over again till you once again get saturated in the new tier.

The below list does not count for coin room players. I have no idea how that works. :)

• Robbob1970
    113 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2020 8:35 PM

Not missing much there bro. There are many many good players that have spend hours upon hours playing the game, mapping clubs/course, spend $$$ on equipment and deserve their status and handicap. But there is also a group who's clubs make easy tournament with standard greens, no wind and hitting of the easy tees. False champs. You will know them when you come across them and enjoy beating the pants off them in their alternate reality.  

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2020 12:47 PM

Robbob1970:
    But there is also a group who's clubs make easy tournament with standard greens, no wind and hitting of the easy tees. False champs.

I'm just curious. You consider standard greens to be an advantage?

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2020 2:28 PM

Wutpa:

rather ridiculous not to think that.

Slower greens have less break.

Recovery shots have less roll.

Can ram putts even harder without worrying about how far past the hole they go.

Now if you're used to playing 12s or 13s or whatever else and that's 95% of what you play then dropping down to 7.9 is going to cause you to miss putts. 

But that's because you aren't used to reading the lines.

if someone is hammering out red tee rounds one after the other they will get the break down on those greens and will score better than on 12s on certain courses. Kiawah  and Merion are good example os this  and those are the two most common that's used for that.  others it doesn't matter that much.

Mobile players are used to bouncing around different green speeds each round but even then quite alot of us don't like 7.4s. (tendency to over read the break)

BUT as i said if that was all i played they'd be the easiest

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2020 11:04 PM

Mythanatos:

Wutpa:

rather ridiculous not to think that.

Slower greens have less break.

Recovery shots have less roll.

Can ram putts even harder without worrying about how far past the hole they go.

Look. I asked an uncritical question because I was curious about someone's opinion and I don't need you saying it is ridiculous if I don't necessarily think standard greens are automatically advantageous. I didn't just start playing this game yesterday you know and I fully understand how different green speeds affect break. By the logic of your explanation the slowest greens would be the easiest of all. 

Your tone is condescending, which is completely unwarranted.

• Robbob1970
    113 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2020 4:56 AM

Personally, I like 20,man they duck you up. But its great fun and we'd all be lucky to break 70. I call constant speed an advantage. But as old m8 said and you took offence to, would you rather be hitting into the 5th at Merion on 9 or 13's, if you're objective is to drive down a false handicap. Maybe move those warm up rounds back to the car-park

• DanL24
    61 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2020 5:31 AM

If you are used to playing on 12 or 13 greens all the time, playing a round on 7.9 or 7.4 is just brutal as the break on putts is impossible.  But if that's all you ever play it is probably quite easy to get used to every putt being straight.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2020 8:11 AM

Wutpa:
    By the logic of your explanation the slowest greens would be the easiest of all. 

yes. that's why the sentence at the end of my post is there. 

• PAGES
RSS