Forums

Help › Forums

Balls

Sun, Nov 13 2022 7:47 AM (28 replies)
  • atc86
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2020 10:09 AM

Hello,

I'm pretty new the WGT, I've been looking for a decent golf game to play for a while and after trying a few alternatives I think this is the best one for me.

Now I play a fair few "free to play" games so I know generally how the pricing goes and hey if I enjoy a game I have no issue dropping some money in to it. I've already bought the fairway pack the wedges pack and the putter pack from steam. 

When I bought the fairway pack I got 6 titleist balls, I never thought much about it and just started to use them. After a day or so all my balls had ran out and was back to the standard ball and the insane meter speed which took me a good few hours to adjust back to. So I thought yeah balls are probably something I'll need going forward. 

I checked the price of the balls I used and they are like 1200 credits for 3 balls!!! Now I wouldn't mind if my balls didn't die after a few rounds or I only lost them if my ball went in the water or OB or something but the pricing of balls is cray! I spend less on balls in real life. 

Is there any other ways to win balls or credits to buy balls? The price in the store is outrageous and this is coming from someone who will happily drop $30 on a driver. I just don't see any justification for this insane price am I missing something?

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2020 12:55 PM

@atc86 

I think you're missing a couple of things.

First, there is a whole range of prices between the free balls and those extremely expensive balls. WGT offering expensive balls is no different than any other company offering an expensive product along with cheaper versions of the same product. That's just business. It's neither insane nor outrageous. 

And second, a player doesn't need super expensive balls to compete. Many players are able to compete just fine with lower-level balls. 

Personally, I don't see anything outrageous about the pricing. They simply offer premium balls for those who want them or think they need them. Now, if WGT only had balls costing around 1,200 credits, then there would be a good argument that the pricing is insane or outrageous. But that's not the case.

At your level (and especially) with that equipment, I would play the Callaway Level 33 ball. It's only 250 credits a sleeve. I played them until I got to Legend and did well with them. And after I got to Legend, I've played (almost exclusively) the Level 81 ball, which is 550 credits. I never saw the need to get anything more expensive. 

tl;dr: You don't need to buy balls costing 1,200 credits. Buy something cheaper. Your choice.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2020 2:43 PM

Robert nailed it. What a ploy, give the best ball available to a newcomer and make them think that's what they have to have .Heh, I've been here over 11 years and there's no way in hell I'd ever spend 12 bucks on golf ball that gets used up like they do. Leave those to the high level players that know how to play them and have the equipment to justify their use. As it is I do pay 975 for a sleeve of 3 Titleists but they're still cheaper than a single night out on the town. And given the current situation, there isn't much out on the town anyway. LOL

Those 33 Callys are an exceptional value by comparison-you get 15 of them for the same price (almost.) Not to mention they're more than enough ball to get you good at this game and carry you to whatever level in the game you want.

An even better value is the TourSD (GI-SD if you want meter help) ball. Enough spin and distance to help a lot and after using them for a while, you'll be able to appreciate what the more expensive balls have to offer.

I played the Tour SD ball until I reached my potential with it and and moved to the 33 Callaway. I use the Titleist ball now because I can play up to it. Give yourself some time to get there and save a few bucks.  ;-)

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2020 2:51 PM

they covered the ball info.

the other question on making credits.

you can make 150 credits each day watching videos on the mobile or PCEA version.

• atc86
    2 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2020 6:43 AM

I also tried the cheaper balls.... Totally pointless I might as well stick to the standard one. I understand that they are a company that needs to make money but when a virtual item costs more than it would in real life I stand my original statement of outrageous.

If you feel that 3 digital golf balls for $12 is a good deal, each to their own I guess.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2020 9:39 AM

atc86:
    I also tried the cheaper balls.... Totally pointless I might as well stick to the standard one.

Clearly, that's your choice. Others (many others) have played cheaper balls and have found them worthwhile. But that's sorta the point of capitalism. Offer a product and if people find it valuable, they'll purchase it. If they don't find it worthwhile, they won't purchase it. 

atc86:
    I understand that they are a company that needs to make money but when a virtual item costs more than it would in real life I stand my original statement of outrageous.

Again, I disagree. But here's a question: do you find the pricing of the drivers, woods, irons, wedges, and putters equally outrageous? They clearly do not reflect the cost in real life. Or is it fine when that's the case and the equipment is much cheaper than real life? 

atc86:
    If you feel that 3 digital golf balls for $12 is a good deal, each to their own I guess.

Literally, no one in this thread claimed they're a good deal. In fact, I would guess none of us think they're a good deal. I'd bet not a single on in this thread purchases those balls on a regular basis. The reason? They're not a good deal. 

Again, there are choices. You are simply choosing to focus on one of the most expensive items while (apparently) ignoring that excellent balls can be had for a lot cheaper (and much more in line with real-life pricing, if not cheaper than real life). 

Finally, you also realize that there are different versions of the Titleist Pro V1x in the Pro Shop, yes? Are they all more expensive than what you would buy in the store?

In other words, how much do you pay for a sleeve of Titleist Pro V1x balls? 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2020 10:05 AM

atc86:
    I also tried the cheaper balls.... Totally pointless I might as well stick to the standard one.
    Not at all!

In fact, any custom ball slows the meter of custom clubs down, so there's a point in the cheapest B-ES @10 cr!

Fact #2, to make the top balls work you must have top equipment. In your case, over 200 cr per sleeve would be wasted, IMHO.

My 2 Pfennig call for you to check out the balls from cheap to expensive and look for some ball that you like!

atc86:
    I understand that they are a company that needs to make money but when a virtual item costs more than it would in real life I stand my original statement of outrageous.

I advise not to compare the original prices. You might rather see the ball costs as an entry fee to the advanced part of the game. Good thing is, WE decide on the amount to pay, from Zero to Outrageous!

I 4 1 have played the Tour-SD (64 cr) before turning Legend. Now I play the L33 Callaway @250 cr.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2020 11:24 AM

@alosso

Well said! 

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2020 12:18 PM

Robert1893:
    At your level (and especially) with that equipment, I would play the Callaway Level 33 ball. It's only 250 credits a sleeve. I played them until I got to Legend and did well with them. And after I got to Legend, I've played (almost exclusively) the Level 81 ball, which is 550 credits. I never saw the need to get anything more expensive. 

+1

I played with the same balls mentioned above for a long time.  I've been spending more for the lvl 87 Titleist lately as I feel I score better with it in ready go competition and that more than covers the price difference.  Find a ball you like at a price point you like and then get used to how it plays.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2020 12:31 PM

hes only level 42. so really the only thing that's decent for his level is the 33 callys and there is quite the difference between the ones he was given and the 33s.

Sure the 81 ball he'd probably be ok with but he's not there yet. Maybe even the 51 i think Volviks would make him happy. But also he isn't there yet. 

at 42 he has so much to learn i wouldn't bother inundating him. He either pays attention to the basic stuff or he quits in a few weeks.

RSS