Forums

Help › Forums

Ping (L59) vs Max Precision (L45)

Mon, Jul 13 2020 9:34 AM (8 replies)
  • Veraps
    240 Posts
    Fri, Jul 10 2020 1:35 PM

I know most recommend getting the Pings at 59, but has anyone tried the Max precision set?  Attributes are comparable (same forgiveness, high trajectory.  Better precision and spin for the Max, better meter speed for Ping).  

Just wondering if I should wait 14 more levels for the Pings or pull the trigger on the Max now if they are comparable. 

Any thoughts? 

• TeslaNole
    8 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2020 5:27 PM

Have you done a free rental of the Max Precision clubs? I did, and found them impossible to manage due to the fast meter.

I waited for the L59 Pings and have had them a little over a week. Adjusting to them was a little bit tricky at first but I think I have a pretty good feel for them now. I mapped them several days ago and that really helped.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2020 6:01 PM

Veraps:

I know most recommend getting the Pings at 59, but has anyone tried the Max precision set?  Attributes are comparable (same forgiveness, high trajectory.  Better precision and spin for the Max, better meter speed for Ping).  

Just wondering if I should wait 14 more levels for the Pings or pull the trigger on the Max now if they are comparable. 

Any thoughts? 

That meter speed on the Max Precision irons could really be problematical. Yes, the forgiveness is the same for both sets, but the fast meter on the Max irons would be a killer for me.

If it were me, I'd wait for the Ping irons, which are generally considered the best bang for the buck of irons under Level 85. By the way, I always felt the Ping irons were more forgiving than they're rated. But that could just be me. 

• Veraps
    240 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2020 6:56 PM

I did just finish with the rental (after I posted this).  And yeah, that meter speed is NOT going to work for me lol.  Wayyyy to fast.  I was all over the place with those clubs.  I still have the starter irons and hate waiting until 59, but I have a ton of credits and no other needs right now so maybe i'll purchase something around 2k with a slow meter and then upgrade to the Pings soon enough. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2020 10:52 PM

Veraps:
    Just wondering if I should wait 14 more levels for the Pings or pull the trigger on the Max now if they are comparable

They really aren't that comparable when you look at the shorter iron length and faster meter. All you're really getting is a little more spin but that meter is going to take a more expensive ball to slow it down or some seious getting used to.

I'd wait, personally. You're right to be looking at the High lofted clubs but paying more for a lesser set because you want that loft now isn't the best move, IMO. Wait.  :-)

• beerstine
    665 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2020 3:16 AM

I rented them a few levels ago and that meter level is insanely faster than anything else I've tried.  On the rare occasion when I came close to the line, they were straight, but it's certainly not worth a premium price for an almost unplayable set.  

I also tried the Max Meter set which offers good meters and forgiveness at some expense of accuracy.  Cheaper than the Pings, but lower trajectory and harder to control.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2020 6:43 AM

beerstine:

I rented them a few levels ago and that meter level is insanely faster than anything else I've tried.  On the rare occasion when I came close to the line, they were straight, but it's certainly not worth a premium price for an almost unplayable set.  

I also tried the Max Meter set which offers good meters and forgiveness at some expense of accuracy.  Cheaper than the Pings, but lower trajectory and harder to control.

Here is the comparison. I don't like the meter on those Max Clubs

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2020 9:05 AM

15 yards difference between PWs is the biggest difference, IMO, you'd be affecting the wedge setup unless you commit to a HB and just 2 wedges. Not good advice.

5.0 precision is nice but with that meter speed it's a trade-off. Hit the ding if you want that precision otherwise the forgiveness is no different. You can make Legend easily with the 59s, a 3w and 3 good wedges. With the 45s you'd have to compromise, pay an extra 400 credits for them AND outgrow them sooner. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2020 9:34 AM

YankeeJim:

15 yards difference between PWs is the biggest difference, IMO, you'd be affecting the wedge setup unless you commit to a HB and just 2 wedges. Not good advice.

5.0 precision is nice but with that meter speed it's a trade-off. Hit the ding if you want that precision otherwise the forgiveness is no different. You can make Legend easily with the 59s, a 3w and 3 good wedges. With the 45s you'd have to compromise, pay an extra 400 credits for them AND outgrow them sooner. 

Yes it would be a lot to make up.

RSS