Help › Forums

Poor Marketing by WGT

Thu, Oct 15 2020 11:29 AM (65 replies)
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2020 3:52 AM

pdb1:

DonCaron:
     I have Golf Club 2, Golf Club 2019 and I just bought Golf Club 2K21. This game is much easier. 100's of courses though

Yes . I never tried it . Those clips are old . But they were new when I saved them . I've never had a machine that could play something like that .

It uses a PS4 or XBox Controller which is what throws all us WGT'er off.

No VEM

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2020 4:04 AM

pdb1:

I think that just about any new platform that comes out . As in better than PCEA . Even if it isn't . Will still be likely to have to be supported by a game engine . STEAM or something like STEAM .

I think that originally the magnificent effects and precision of WGT's Flash PC game . May have been the Flash that allowed it to be a stand alone launch .

The key is the Steam Servers

pdb1:
      There is no doubt that WGT has done some serious good work . To first create the Mobile platform . So similar to the original . Then 10 years later create a PC version of the similar Flash game .

Yes WGT is trying hard. They constantly are improving

pdb1:
      Does the original PCEA launcher still work at all ? I wonder why that is . Has it been turned over to STEAM ? Eventually to be only available through STEAM ?

Yes, Standalone is still active and its already on steam. IDK if they are going cancel the launcher or not any time soon.

pdb1:
    IDK . It doesn't bother me . But I do know that at this point . My overall golf game would actually suffer more . If I played PCEA . I am not happy enough with my game in the Flash yet . Better forget about that word " yet " .

I gave the PCEA-3 Weeks and I'm still not Comfortable with it

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2020 5:46 AM

pdb1:

DonCaron:

It uses a PS4 or XBox Controller which is what throws all us WGT'er off.

No VEM

What does ? The cost of the console and accessories ? Or the use of a controller ? Controllers are fairly easy to learn to maneuver . I have only a little experience with that . Playing TW a few times .

Using a Controller instead of a mouse Click.

pdb1:

I get the impression " The Golf Club " takes everything to new levels .

Is it worth the investment Don . What is it that you prefer WGT ? Or do you ? Don

Hardly any investment really. $69 for the game and a Controller. 

Course Designer and 100's of courses. I spend way more than $69 here a month.

Balls and Clubs are free and you earn better clubs as you advance as part of the advancement.

I'm still way better on WGt than any of those games, its just the challenge.

• JDGHOST
    6,775 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2020 6:49 AM

pdb1:
    For me it was a very dramatic change . I cannot seem to get past that . So for me it will be Flash or nothing . As far as playing online golf .

Same pdb....Call me stubborn ..Call me "old fashion" thick headed whatever....Point being "For me" its NOT about the playability of the new version I have played it and can score!...I don't sit there getting frustrated over the "scoring" and say to myself "ah man get me off this crap and back over to flash.... I can't make a dam putt!!!" Not at all it's simply the "Look /feel and mickey mouse attributes"  The robotic swing of the avatar even the ball flight ...the thud of it hitting the ground... the way it rolls out on fairways Everything just looks so darn cheesy and fake like a Nintendo golf game from 1998....

Now I realize how that will sound trivial to most and I will get laughed at and people will say "DUDE IT IS A GAME get over it" And for some (even most) that's fine ...But what flash offered was the best "look and feel of real life golf (short of virtual goggles and a real simulator) on the planet!! It was a joy to sit and play "Especially" for someone like myself that can't play the real game anymore...And (for me) that joy is simply lost in the new version...

But I digress...And am at my end talking about NV and how I feel about it lol...I will continue to update on new options and ways to continue on flash as I won't give up hope...

JD

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2020 9:18 AM

JDGHOST:

pdb1:
    For me it was a very dramatic change . I cannot seem to get past that . So for me it will be Flash or nothing . As far as playing online golf .

Same pdb....Call me stubborn ..Call me "old fashion" thick headed whatever....Point being "For me" its NOT about the playability of the new version I have played it and can score!...I don't sit there getting frustrated over the "scoring" and say to myself "ah man get me off this crap and back over to flash.... I can't make a dam putt!!!" Not at all it's simply the "Look /feel and mickey mouse attributes"  The robotic swing of the avatar even the ball flight ...the thud of it hitting the ground... the way it rolls out on fairways Everything just looks so darn cheesy and fake like a Nintendo golf game from 1998....

Now I realize how that will sound trivial to most and I will get laughed at and people will say "DUDE IT IS A GAME get over it" And for some (even most) that's fine ...But what flash offered was the best "look and feel of real life golf (short of virtual goggles and a real simulator) on the planet!! It was a joy to sit and play "Especially" for someone like myself that can't play the real game anymore...And (for me) that joy is simply lost in the new version...

But I digress...And am at my end talking about NV and how I feel about it lol...I will continue to update on new options and ways to continue on flash as I won't give up hope...

JD

I agree JD, We have played for so many years on Flash that we have a feel for our shots.

Thats missing on the new game.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2020 1:39 PM

pdb1:

JD:

DonCaron:

You both hit it so right on .

Thanx for the gumball MICKEY !

Thank you Don for confirming that this isn't an issue of cost . But rather that damn HOOK , or HOOK's . That mesmerized us and sucked us in . To our hearts delight . For a good many years . Amazing simply the coolest . So sad to see it fading . Not just for myself . But what a universe we had huh ?

JD, Don, Paul.

I respect and understand your viewpoints regarding the new game, but I am not in complete alignment with them.

It was a bit of a shock to my system too when I first started playing the PCEA version, but I quickly realised that I could not keep playing both that and the flash game as I ended up being terrible at both. So I've exclusively been playing the EA version since January and now it is the flash version that seems strange to me.

JD, in contrast to you I actually prefer the swing motion of the avatar in EA. It's too large and the resolution is poor, but the swing is more complete and realistic to my eye. The flash avatar has a ridiculously fast through swing that would break the sound barrier in real life, whereas the EA one is smoother. maybe if the avatar itself was smaller it would look less cartoon-like, but that's a resolution issue.

Anyway, my point is that I chose to persevere with EA because I saw enough that was similar to make me want to try and get the better of it, and so I'm not grieving the end of flash any more. I'm not saying I prefer it, just that I made the choices that I needed in order to be able to play on, and although it took a few months I can say that I'm close to as happy with EA as I was with flash now. It's a trade-off - some of the annoyances of flash are gone, and EA brings new ones to replace them.

Each to their own but speaking just for myself, I have put enough time, energy, brain-power and yes money into playing and learning the flash game over the last 10 years that I simply wasn't prepared to abandon it because I dislike and resent some of the changes that are being forced upon us.

I hope to go on playing this for many years to come because even in the EA version the photo-realistic courses are unmatched by any other game out there, and I revel in that. I too have recently been playing other golf games, and they bring amazing things to the table....but to my eye they still don't look as good. And that's also why having a course designer in WGT will never work in my opinion. Any new (real or fantasy) course designed that way will look different, just like Cabo and Whistler look low-res and poor to me. I enjoy them, but they are not a good fit among the rest of the WGT course portfolio.

So if you have the energy and will to give the EA another more concentrated look then my experience is that it may pay off in the long run. But you'll have to really concentrate and pretty much play it exclusively, because regularly switching between the two versions just muddies up the experience of both.

For me, perseverance is worth it. For others, it is apparently not. That's each player's choice.

Nigel.

RSS