Forums

Help › Forums

Putting is Killing Me

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 5 2021 4:17 AM (8 replies)
  • Jubsnut7
    3 Posts
    Sat, Jun 6 2020 1:52 PM

I really need putting lessons. I get on the green easily and can't sink a putt if my life depended on it. The videos I watch don't help. Please help

• NrEighteen
    956 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2020 3:26 AM

I feel you....I spent some time at the practice green, that's helpful to understand the pace and undulations. Still, the clicking at the right time part is my bigger challenge...

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2020 4:36 AM

Putting in my opinion is the hardest part of the game , but there is no substitute for practice. Go to the practice putting green , you then set the speed and difficulty yourself and just keep practicing . The putter pal might help you , but in tournaments as you progress you can’t use that anyway , so try and get a feel for putting without it . Good luck , after years of playing it is still my biggest problem. 
    in addition learn to chip, pitch and flop so with your approach to the green you get close enough for putting to become easier.  

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2020 4:53 AM

bossbird:
    The putter pal might help you , but in tournaments as you progress you can’t use that anyway

Just for clarification, the green bar, putting meter "helper" is not Putter Pal. Its is called "Putting Power Tip". That would be what to turn off in the options. Putter Pal is just the scale added to the putting meter.

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2020 5:35 AM

A couple of quick questions. Do you putt from the reverse angle? Do you use a calculator to determine the distance to hit the ball?  Are you playing on the  old flash player or on the PCEA or on Steam? I have found that putting from the reverse angle will give you a better idea of how the ball will break as it approaches the hole. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to use a calculator to figure the distance you need to hit the ball. This will vary depending upon the green speed at the time. There are many charts , formulas that talk about distance to hit your putts and percentages to add or subtract depending on the particular putt. You may find Putter Pal to be helpful when deciding how hard to hit the ball. Although this is something that I don't use but many players find helpful. There are subtle differences between the " old version " and the new PCEA or Steam version. It seems to me that you need to allow for more break on the newer version and also I like to view the forward angle before switching to the reverse angle to hit my putt. The ball seems to react more quickly right off the putter blade as soon as it is struck.  But the one and only single thing you need to do to improve your putting is PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE.  I hope that I have been some help and not just added to the confusion. 

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2020 9:01 AM

MarchieB , thanks for clarification I had never appreciated the difference , I see that it is important to get the terminology correct.

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2020 10:51 AM

You haven't played much so first thing is to get you distances worked out, google wgt putting and look at images.

You'll find a lot of scales for putting distances, they are quite simple to work out. On a standard speed green the 30 ft scale if you hit full power goes 30ft if you hit it one 10th along the power line it goes 3ft, 50% power goes 15 ft. So first thing download and print out a putter scale sheet.

Now look at  the elevation of the hole, the rule of thumb is add or subtract one foot for every inch the hole is above or below the ball, obviously add a foot if it's uphill take away if its downhill. That will get you to the hole so it's a good idea to add a foot just to make sure you get past the hole, nothing worse than an online putt that stops short.

The easy practice putting green is good for getting distances right. The other two greens aren't that useful if you ask me, the hard one is so extreme it's not very useful for learning and the medium one has a lot of double breakers which is not what you'll be playing most of the time.

Now the hard bit, how far to aim to the side so the ball drops, that you'll have to either just use experience or one of the counting techniques or probably a combination of both.

When you have control over your distance search the forums for dot counting for advanced tips.

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2020 8:07 PM

Jubsnut7:

I really need putting lessons. I get on the green easily and can't sink a putt if my life depended on it. The videos I watch don't help. Please help

These 2 videos will give you a good idea of putting speeds which is priority 1 when learning your way around the different greens.

https://youtu.be/px84yknwRrA

https://youtu.be/1BXnfpyWVEQ

Both are excellent tools and should help you get better!

BABZ

• Atki2021
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jul 5 2021 4:17 AM

I find that when in reverse angle I am trying to putt against a fast-moving or large break from the other/wrong side of the hole that it is impossible to counter the break to any degree no matter how much you aim wide or ding late.

Any tips?

RSS