Forums

Help › Forums

Club Mapping

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 29 2020 11:43 AM (4 replies)
  • pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 8:12 AM

i am mapping out the level 33 callaways for my level 100 Rogue's.  Currently at Kiawah #1 (0-2 left to right wind).

I have the full backspin numbers already, for example my 100% full BS 3-iron goes 216 yard plus 3 yards roll.

Since we know backspin is more effected by wind, I should also have half back and 25% backspin numbers...am I looking for the Carry number or the total number including roll?  If i am looking for the total number, then this is not the right green since there are undulations....my preference is always to play a full backspin shot because this ball won't stop on 12+ green speeds at all with out it. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 8:40 AM

pdiehm:
    .am I looking for the Carry number

Most definitely yes. Knowing the carry of your clubs is way more important than knowing the total distance with various spin setups. Where the ball actually lands is going to determine what happens next and it's different on all the courses. 

The best thing you can do is learn your clubs without spin. That way you'll understand the affect that spin actually has on a shot and it will be easier to determine when and how to use it.  :-)

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 8:44 AM

yeah, hitting shots without spin with these 33 Cally's is gathering a ton of roll...on 12 greens, I'm getting 25-30 yards of roll.  The thought process is right, but perhaps its wiser to stay with the volvik and the higher spin to allow neutral shots.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 11:03 AM

I played those same Callys for many years, it's an excellent ball. A few things that worked for me...

• Top spin into headwinds negates the wind to a large degree. 180 into a head wind, don't be afraid to top spin the 6 iron.
    • Partial  back spin into a headwind will stop the shot. Overclubbing with full bs and choking down into headwinds stops the ball dead. Use the wind as a stopping force.
    • Backspin controls that rollout in varying degrees, use it to slow the roll a little or a lot (this is where knowing club carry pays dividends)
    • I learned pitches and chips with full back spin. Then you can gauge how much to release the ball for a longer roll.

Lots of fun learning ahead for you.  :-)

p.s., The ball I use now-Titleist-is way better than those 33 Callys back then but to me, all that changed were the numbers. I still use them just like I did with those Cally's.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 11:43 AM

YankeeJim:

I played those same Callys for many years, it's an excellent ball. A few things that worked for me...

• Top spin into headwinds negates the wind to a large degree. 180 into a head wind, don't be afraid to top spin the 6 iron.
    • Partial  back spin into a headwind will stop the shot. Overclubbing with full bs and choking down into headwinds stops the ball dead. Use the wind as a stopping force.
    • Backspin controls that rollout in varying degrees, use it to slow the roll a little or a lot (this is where knowing club carry pays dividends)
    • I learned pitches and chips with full back spin. Then you can gauge how much to release the ball for a longer roll.

Lots of fun learning ahead for you.  :-)

p.s., The ball I use now-Titleist-is way better than those 33 Callys back then but to me, all that changed were the numbers. I still use them just like I did with those Cally's.

i love the level 87 Titleist...but with as much as I play it's cost prohibitive to use that ball.  Prior to the credit limits, I could get enough credits watching TV to keep my stock up.  I think I'm gonna stay with the Volviks.  It's a good ball, the spin is right...but the price point of the Cally's is very interesting if I can ever figure them out.

RSS