Forums

Help › Forums

Where to map clubs?

Sun, Jun 14 2020 2:11 PM (21 replies)
  • GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Fri, May 22 2020 3:25 PM

Just after some suggestions on what holes to use to map clubs. I know Kiawah 1 is good for off the tee and approaches, but I'm also looking to map bunker, rough, deep rough and fescue. Kiawah only has this weird hard sand thing instead of a bunker so was looking for a good course with lots of bunkers and flat elevation?

• Cicero733
    2,290 Posts
    Sat, May 23 2020 2:28 PM

Try BPB first hole. Put some tee shots into the rough. Will give you practice hitting short irons from 30/40 and 40/50 from a flat lie.

• club578
    556 Posts
    Sun, May 24 2020 8:14 AM

try bethpage

• Robert1893
    7,646 Posts
    Sun, May 24 2020 8:42 AM

For bunker play, check out this post by ScottHope:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/79642/2575679.aspx#2575679

For bunker play, I wouldn't recommend Bethpage. If I recall correctly, most (if not all) of its bunkers are 20-25%. In other words, its bunkers are not only much different than the other courses, but they're also easier (IMO). In other words, I don't think learning how bunker shots play on BP will translate real well to play on the other courses.

Still, others might take a different view.

I think one really just needs to practice them and learn the nuances of all the courses and their bunkers as well as choose one's spots when to be aggressive. 

With bunker play, in my opinion, the key is actually course management. A player needs to know when they can play aggressively and when the best shot is center of the green and two-putt for par. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2020 11:28 PM

Robert1893:

For bunker play, check out this post by ScottHope:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/79642/2575679.aspx#2575679

For bunker play, I wouldn't recommend Bethpage. If I recall correctly, most (if not all) of its bunkers are 20-25%. In other words, its bunkers are not only much different than the other courses, but they're also easier (IMO). In other words, I don't think learning how bunker shots play on BP will translate real well to play on the other courses.

Still, others might take a different view.

I think one really just needs to practice them and learn the nuances of all the courses and their bunkers as well as choose one's spots when to be aggressive. 

With bunker play, in my opinion, the key is actually course management. A player needs to know when they can play aggressively and when the best shot is center of the green and two-putt for par. 

Just my 2 cents. 

That's a very useful link, thanks!

Looks like I'm going to be getting a lot of practice out of bunkers for the next few months. Just tiered up to legend and now struggling to reach a lot of Par 4's!

• JoanneF0bN
    1 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 11:48 AM

I can't find the map we need for the game 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 1:13 PM

JoanneF0bN:

I can't find the map we need for the game

There isn't one. The mapping referred to here is you figuring out how far your clubs go. It's called mapping them.  :-)

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 5:51 PM

I went to the source himself....young46.

tee mapping, bethpage #10

fairway mapping...to find carry, kiawah #1...left of the green, paying attention to carry.. 

figure 2k in credits for balls should have my tee, fairway/approach, around the green clubs mapped...punches.  Enough that I should be able to be reasonably close to actual numbers before adding in wind.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 5:37 AM

Edit:

I went to Beth Page and mapped Tee shots.  Went to Kiawah to map fairway irons.  

What did I discover?  Those numbers in a real round couldn't be more different, but yet I go back into a practice round, and those numbers are dead on.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 7:16 AM

pdiehm:
    What did I discover?  Those numbers in a real round couldn't be more different, but yet I go back into a practice round, and those numbers are dead on.

That would be because in a real round, the game exerts an influence brought about by VEM. Understanding how that works is part of the fun.  :-)

RSS