Driver - Wedges - Golf Balls {Most Common Asked Questions}

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 7 2021 10:35 PM (8 replies)
  • RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 11:13 PM

Driver – Wedges - Golf Balls

How I currently play: 

Tee = Yellow...  Greens = Fast...  Pin Placement = Medium...  Wind = Easy to Medium

WeaknessAs a novice I'm pleased how I'm playing. No, I'm not shooting low scores, although more pars/birdies. There's a hole or two that I screw up by totally misjudging a shot distance; or, not closely ensuring the club I choice to you got changed. <grin>.

Practice Focus: Short game (Sand, Pitch, Lop, Putting) 

Club Needs: Driver, 60-64 Wedge, and golf balls.

(1) Spin - What are the considerations for club spin vs golf ball spin? Personally, I shy away from spin, especially in approaches and around the green shots. It is a guess what the ball will do once it hits the green. 

(2) Purchasing A Driver

My focus is on longer driver distance (250-265) range. Dump the starter hybrid. Tee shoots are very good along with course management. Right now (At my level) the only driver that looks ok is the Callaway Rogue 10.5 (L32+). However, I will be moving up levels. Should I wait? There's always the argument about why wait because then there is another level and another after it . What driver would carry me through until the "Legend" level? See below

(A) Recommendations/Considerations

(1) Make a purchase now and when moving into "Legend" consider another driver because of tee box placement and fairway length? If not at my current level, when?

(2) Which Driver: In order of importance (Beyond distance at this time.) how does one take into consideration: Trajectory (High vs Med/High). Precision. Forgiveness. Metering (Keep club & balls pretty close.)?

Wedges

Same purchasing question as the driver: What is your recommendation? Leveling up, is there a really big difference with the wedge? Again, here's where the question of golf ball spin vs club spin comes into play. My focus is on shot placement vs the unknown with golf ball spin.

Golf Balls (What do you recommend?)

From my research everyone has their favorite. Some use lower credit balls (Cally & WGT) up to "Legend". Durability is key simply because I love to practice. I simply have to accept this will be an ongoing purchase until "Legend" (Agree?). Metering - At my level (Starter clubs/golf balls) I simply don't have a feel for any other metering. I know about metering, but that is it.

This is all I can think of at this point. I've done a great deal of research, just looking for input from the experienced players.

Note: I did post this in my new CC (Nice & Friendly) but thought I may get more feedback here.

Much thanks in advance!

~ RickinWaSt ~

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Sat, May 16 2020 8:17 PM

SAVE your credits until you reach level 58. Learn the courses 'Course Management'

know where to land your ball  to take advantage for your next shot. go to practice mode and hit into bunker just off the greans and with the 'ROCK' practice your Flop,Pitch and Punch. Use as many Mulligans as you need to perfect your shot. Chip from just off the green Take good notes.

if you master the basics,when  you reach level 58 you may have enough credits to buy a decent Driver, or putter, or maybe a couple wedges. 

Siders Best

PS: Don't buy balls either (I spent about 10K on balls) WGT likes to see them go OOB and in WH 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, May 16 2020 10:21 PM

As a Pro, the next big step will be to Master, from Tour Pro. This will elongate the tracks! Until then, you might wait and see which clubs are available in your future level.

One thrifty purchase might be a 3WD, to use as a driver, too. Double purpose, triple benefit, as they cost 1/3 of a driver.

Spin is considered a good thing, predominantly around the greens, where the roll makes precise play difficult. "Stick like darts" is the mantra! Thus, you might also add a shorter wedge (50/60 yds) to your bag.

Starter balls fit well to the Starter clubs. Thinking of custom equipment, ball spin and club spin must fit together for maximum performance. No use for high spin (and cost) balls with low spin clubs. That said, custom balls add performance and (speed) comfort to custom clubs, but they wear and get lost in water and OOB, causing a continuous leak in your purse. The "entry fee" created that way is in your control though! You will see that even the cheapest balls, e.g. B-ES @10 cr, provide more comfort + fun. Recommendations for better balls include Tour-SD, Srixon and early Callaways. High performance balls are for high performance players. Some players stick with the Starters, enjoying "cost-free" rounds while dealing with the high meter speeds.

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2020 8:50 AM

Thanks Siders Best!

Good information to know. I'm wonder what 1-2 clubs will have an impact now and serve me until high erlevels? Being patient is not one of my "strong suits" <grin>. I have been this way since a kid with ADHD.

Regarding golf balls... Right, I've come across that comment numerous times. As much as I like to practice, I would need a bank loan. However, on the other side, some golf balls will make a difference as long as you know the price of having them. 

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2020 9:02 AM

alosso...

Thanks for your input. The cost-benefit factor (and one's bank account) as to which club(s) now will have the most impact AND prove useful until Master level? One possibility is to rent a club (a wedge) and practice my short game which is darn good. Learning the green breaks are hurting me, but there are formulas that may help. 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2020 4:18 PM

if you are playing and winning coin games on mobile, then consider renting the lower end coin rental club sets... they are slightly better and they start introducing higher trajectory which while the clubs are not significantly longer, the trajectory starts helping hold more greens.

if you go through the apparel you have and match that with the rental clubs, you should be able to keep playing while earning XP to unlock better clubs that will last you much longer ...

otherwise, you start down the path of buy clubs and keep upgrading each time you see something slightly better.  - if that is what you want to do, great, but it is not the most practical or best use of your credits.  

the only exception is there are likely some decent wedges in the upper 30 and mid 40 levels that you could hold on until you upgrade to the higher end wedges.

short game, and putting will save you far more strokes than running out and buying a driver and other clubs... so take the time to work on course management and your short game and putting while you unlock better clubs.  if you have to, then try the coin rentals because eventually those coins will seem worthless and you will have little else to do with them.

• Shadowridge85
    8 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 2:57 PM

Spin for clubs and balls and equipment ........How do I match up these numbers with the club spin to performance balls and my level with the gear? Right now It seems to be ok , but due to my putting I would like to know how to connect the numbers for the best results. Also I have 58 rough power on my hat I like.....how to numbers like sand and rough power figure in all areas of the the landscape? Dirt, and brush if you have time......TY so much if you can help!

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2021 4:28 PM

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2021 10:35 PM

~> they start introducing higher trajectory which while the clubs are not significantly longer, the trajectory starts helping hold more greens.

Yet to venture into coin games, but I do have some well founded experiences regarding my club adding experiences. Most likely I’m repeating myself as to what has worked for me. 

Driver: Always my first look. Added distance which had to be significant to justify the replacement and a meter speed I can control. The top driver will not be available until L99, along with 3W. 

Wedges: Always a 64 wedge with an eye on higher spin rate to provide for more accuracy: Punch, pitch, and variety for full and partial backspins.

Iron Sets: Just completing my 1st year and on my 3rd and final set. An better iron set was my hold off and wait consideration. Like the driver choice, focus on a significant change from what you may be currently using with an eye also on meter rating. The very best appear at L97.

Study which clubs will you need upon reaching Legend and listening to the experienced players in TPC.

Good luck!

RSS