Forums

Help › Forums

Found a Use for the Hybrid

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 15 2020 10:22 PM (6 replies)
  • ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 10:06 AM

I know the conventional wisdom is to drop the hybrid for 3 wedges.  And to use the SE cap in coin rooms to boost driver distance.  However, I've got the L102 TS3 driver, and it's long enough for me without the apparel boost.

I've been using the apparel boosts for my L99 3-Wood (MAX Shirt) and L98 Hybrid (FW cap) in coin rooms, so my woods go 291-266-241.  I'm amazed at how often I'm using the 241y hybrid for long approaches.  It's accurate, and stops very well on most greens (1.5 spin).  I also find it easier to hit than the 3-Wood with its skinny sweet spot.

On the low end, I keep the L80 60y wedge in my bag for coin games, and use the L50 MAX Spin 90y wedge to bridge the gap to my 120y PW.  I'm finding this combination works very well.  Although I do use my regular balls with a 4.2 meter to help tame the quick MAX wedge.

That said, I still drop the hybrid for RRs.  It's just not long enough without the apparel boost to be very useful.  But in coin games, it's becoming my favorite weapon.

Has anyone else tried this?

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 9:37 AM

I love the wedges so I doubt that I would go away from them, but I like the creative thinking. I am sure there are several situations where that would be just the ticket. Specifically I would love to have that 241 Y hybrid on Merion #17 with certain winds. #2 at Congo, and a couple of the par 3's at RSG could use that club as well.

Cheers   Brett

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 3:49 AM

BPeterson8256:

I love the wedges so I doubt that I would go away from them, but I like the creative thinking. I am sure there are several situations where that would be just the ticket. Specifically I would love to have that 241 Y hybrid on Merion #17 with certain winds. #2 at Congo, and a couple of the par 3's at RSG could use that club as well.

Cheers   Brett

His creative thinking only works in coin games. clashes and practice rounds so it is really that useful? 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 4:48 AM

borntobesting:

His creative thinking only works in coin games. clashes and practice rounds so it is really that useful? 

It is in coin games, classes, and practice rounds. 😜😂

We all have different ways we like to play the game. I would compare it to teeing off with 4 or 5 different wedges in the bag. That's only useful on a par 3 course, but if that's what you're playing, it works. I personally rarely play coin games and classes, but if I did, I would definitely consider the idea. ...especially if I knew I was playing a course where that club would make a difference.

Happy hitting

Brett

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 6:27 AM

losing the 64 degree wedge means you are removing the 17 yard pitch, the 20 yard flop and the 60 yard shot out of your bag.  The hybrid is 241.  My 3i goes about 239-240 off the tee.  

Using that Merion par 3, that you referenced, at least I think it's the one I'm thinking of...it plays downhill so the 3i works well.  If its the other par3 that the flag is almost always on the upper ridge, it's a full 3W as it plays 259, maybe a touch or 2 of backspin.  If you have anything more than a 10-12 MPH headwind, you aren't getting close, I hit driver with full backspin about 80%?  I'm going long, but I'm on the upper tier in most cases.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 7:02 AM

pdiehm:

losing the 64 degree wedge means you are removing the 17 yard pitch, the 20 yard flop and the 60 yard shot out of your bag.  The hybrid is 241.  My 3i goes about 239-240 off the tee.  

...and the 7 yard chip

I never thought of that. 😉🤣 ...just screwing with you. I think I fully understand what it means. One of the many cool things about this game is that we can change it up whenever we want to and gear up for the situation. ...kind of like I described on par 3 courses with extra wedges. 

For sure you want to keep a good 64 degree in your bag if you are missing greens 20% of the time and only saving 50% of those, but that is not the case for many players. I personally think it would be foolish to play a round of golf with 2 drivers in the bag, but when Phil Mickelson won The Masters doing just that, it seemed like a brilliant idea (for him...that week).

Have fun however you play! 

Brett

• ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Fri, May 15 2020 10:22 PM

I would never part with the 64° wedge.  I clumsily called it a 60y wedge in the first post.  Sorry for the confusion.

It's the only club I pitch, chip, and flop with.  Anything longer than 20 yards is punch or full swing for me.

Thanks for the feedback. 

RSS