Help › Forums

On the verge of just giving up

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 14 2020 8:23 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • vanmol
    35 Posts
    Sat, May 9 2020 10:05 AM

HI----My game sucks and is not improving because of my inability to putt well. I have watched almost all of the available video tutorials with very limited comprehension. I just can't figure out how to calc the moving dots or the final position of the putting  line. Is there anything out there that simplifies the process?  Thanks, Frank

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2020 10:10 AM

From my research, there is no perfect formula... ever formula has its strength and weaknesses, but it is the experience you gain using a formula that you also learn to tweak based on what you learn using it.  

You could also create a spreadsheet that compares 2 or 3 formula's to see how they compare.  I realize this may not be the exact answer you are hoping for but each formula can depend on a players preferred putting speed or how firm they hit their putts, that too adjust the line.  If your speed doesn't match that of the method you try then it can be frustrating. 

It is also why you will get the formula to work sometimes and not others, but then there could be other factors at play.  

Rather than expecting it to be perfect, if it helps you make 1 or 2 more putts over 9 holes, you are still better off than you were without it.  Over time, you learn more and more how to adjust for your style of putting and speed you are calculating to hit the putts.

-- Your proximity to the pin appears a bit high but that may not be reflective of your current stat's.

Are you leaving yourself reasonable birdie putts or just trying to attack pins and then leave yourself more difficult putts even if they are shorter?  

Another option ..."reading dot flow can give you a general idea of the break" and I have also used that to estimate a line and then see if any of Tekoma's method's line up or appear close.  More often than not, one of the aim point methods will apply … this too helps... you then need to get your speed dialed in.

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2020 1:29 PM

vanmol:

HI----My game sucks and is not improving because of my inability to putt well. I have watched almost all of the available video tutorials with very limited comprehension. I just can't figure out how to calc the moving dots or the final position of the putting  line. Is there anything out there that simplifies the process?  Thanks, Frank

First off, forget the dots, concentrate on getting your putting distance correct.  I don't(and am not the best of putters)(sometimes tho, can hold my own with the best of them, just depends on how I am seeing things)(some days putts seem to break more then others, ADJUST) use formulas for dots, I try to rely on using memory to gauge how much a putt will break based on dot speeds(remember, if playing a different speed then normal, putts will break differently)  Just try to remember what you see.  It takes time, it will not happen overnight.  But get the distance down first, then work on the breaks.

Also make the distinction between being a ding putter or off ding putter and stick with one or the other.  The only time I use off ding is for short tap ins, showing a lot of break.  If ding putter, if you are going to miss the ding, miss into the break.  That will be determined on how well you are dinging putts on any given day.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,465 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2020 2:50 PM

vanmol:
    HI----My game sucks and is not improving because of my inability to putt well.

Three people come to mind (in alphabetical order) :

G0LD, MistressCosette, and Naturali

These fellows are probably the greatest minds of the game who developed their putting formulas AND! (this is the important part) are generous enough to share it with us all. There are, of course, some others out there, but these are the ones that equally work on/for mobile (PCEA) platform as well.

Each one of these formulas, however, has pros and cons, and one tends to work better than others depending on situations you have. Most importantly, you've got to make some adjustments so that it becomes your own 'cause we all have different tendancies & styles.

Another thing worth doing is to find a putter that suits you best and stick to it all the time. According to my experiences, the most expensive and/or the highest level equipment isn't necessarily the best for everyone, especially as far as putters are concerned.

And last but not the least, PERSEVERANCE! You will get it eventually! If others can do it, you can do it too, ONLY BETTER! Good luck!

• amateur4sure
    2,187 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2020 3:03 PM

vanmol:

Or else Frank just go out there and have fun with no gimmicks or calculations, Each to their own Mate, Bottom line if you want to improve in this game then practice, Practice, Practice is the big answer and then try surround yourself with selfless People that are willing to help you ..

Think fun and you never know, It may just happen and all click into place.

• JMills3
    91 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2020 3:08 PM

bro, You've got to figure your distance..  12ft with 3in up makes it a 15ft putt and I use 12's as my basis, 75% power.. 67% power for 13's, 83% power for 11's and I just take off about 7 yds with each speed change.. Now, the line... I've not been the greatest putter either, none of us are.. If you look at peoples stats as your playing them, you'll notice very few are above 11% made putts between 5ft -10ft.. not very good numbers.. I can't really see all the breaks in the greens and the moving dots are irrelevant except they give me a visual of the roll. That's how I putt.. I visualize the speed of the putt and that will help me see the putt, just like in real life.. Unless you have hopes of being able to compete with the guys that shoot 56 consistently, just play and have fun and stop thinking so much.. feel 

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 4:57 AM

The other thing that these great players haven't mentioned....do you play on PC or Mobile?  I have played on both, and let me say they are 2 entirely different games.  Putting on the PC version is 100x easier than the mobile version.  The graphics are better, and the mini map is handy.  Mobile doesn't have that, it's extremely difficult to putt on mobile, and quite honestly the breaks aren't consistent.  One time an 11' putt uphill will break too much and dive low.  Exact same putt the next round, will hang out and you'll miss high.

I can't putt worth crap, my speed is perfect, truly perfect as I am usually 1-2' past the hole if I miss.  Like you, I cannot read breaks.  I have tried counting dots, but you can't do that with a 45 second clock... you have to eyeball it and 99% of the time, 1 dot through 6 or 8 grid boxes will determine your putt line, even if the others are doing roughly the same thing.

Its tough, and if you're mobile, hit me up for a round (pdiehm).

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 9:27 AM

vanmol:

Is there anything out there that simplifies the process?  Thanks, Frank

Hi Frank

If you are serious about trying a more simple way, send me a friend request. We can play a round while chatting on Discord or the phone, and I can walk you through my approach. I am not the best putter, but I can help you simplify, and help you eliminate 3 putts which will drastically improve your scores.

Brett

• Dex000
    109 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 6:02 PM

pdiehm:

Putting on the PC version is 100x easier than the mobile version.  

That hasn't been my experience at all. If anything, you have it backwards. I play mostly on the new version, but I had to play on Mobile for a while and I was amazed at how easy the putting was compared to PCEA and flash. On mobile it seems like all you have to do is put the marker close to the right spot and the ball drops. PCEA is not nearly as forgiving, and flash is even more difficult. And it's not just putting. The mobile game is significantly easier across the board, especially compared to the flash game. 

At least that's been my experience. 

• AndyJames123
    77 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 2:52 AM

vanmol:

get yourself some decent wedges and plenty of practise with them. off the easier tees you'll be using the wedges a fair bit and once youve got the hang of them you'll be left with much shorter putts which are easier to get

• PAGES
RSS