Forums

Help › Forums

Club distances

Fri, May 1 2020 5:05 AM (5 replies)
  • scmelik
    3 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2020 7:06 AM

Good morning all,

i have been playing this game on and off for a few years now but just recently started playing pretty regularly. Regularly enough that I decided to buy some better than starter clubs and better than starter balls, and have sat down and started charting my clubs. Yesterday I noticed that something was off with my clubs, my distances that I had charted were all off. I have my 3 iron charted to carry 184 and it’s pretty consistent, but when I was playing last night in low wind conditions on a relatively flat hole (BPB #1) my 3 iron was carrying 190 every time. I’ve also noticed that a few of my shorter clubs, mainly my 9iron and PW are going shorter than what I’ve charted. The only thing that has changed was I went from level 42 to level 44.

So that brings up the question, Do you hit the ball farther as you go up in levels?

• Turalyon
    95 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2020 8:01 AM

No, same ball with same clubs should be consistent

• scmelik
    3 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2020 9:55 AM

thats what i thought.  The more ive played around with it this morning the more ive realized everything is different.  All my charts were made off dings and its the dings that Ive noticed are off, misses are right on. Was there possibly a mobile update that messed with things?  

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2020 10:18 AM

scmelik:
    I’ve also noticed that a few of my shorter clubs, mainly my 9iron and PW are going shorter than what I’ve charted.

I would say clubs play reasonably consistent the vast majority of the time... but you will experience shots that seem like outliers. But you will also experience shots that may seem like outliers but are more reflective how your club/ball combination plays on certain holes in certain winds... that too is something to learn.   

It can be too nuanced to try and explain every situation, but as you are doing, the key is at the very least starting with known yardages you feel are consistent.

When you experience what may be an outlier in a certain situation, take a note, but don't change anything yet.  Try to replicate it or watch for it in a similar situation.  If it starts becoming consistent, then that hole, that wind condition may play different than normal.

The game is designed to have variance, so it can make it even more challenging to figure out... also.. lower level clubs will tend to have greater variance than higher end clubs... hence the idea of getting players to upgrade.  

• pase4win
    232 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2020 10:20 AM

scmelik:

thats what i thought.  The more ive played around with it this morning the more ive realized everything is different.  All my charts were made off dings and its the dings that Ive noticed are off, misses are right on. Was there possibly a mobile update that messed with things?  

maybe they installed VEM on mobile( just like real golf )  NOT

Pase

• scmelik
    3 Posts
    Fri, May 1 2020 5:05 AM

Thanks everyone for replies.  I finally figured it out last night, it was my clothing multipliers.  I changed the clothes I was wearing and went to play our country club tournament and they don't allow clothing multipliers and all my numbers were back to normal.  That never even crossed my mind earlier in the day.  

RSS