First club upgrade

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 28 2021 4:13 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RobGeorghiou
    6 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 1:36 AM

Hi,

I’m new to the game and am yet to buy any clubs. 
    what do people recommend- my feeling is I need a driver to compete.
    also, once you buy a club, is it possible to improve the distance?

thanks in advance.
    love the game!

• mrmp1
    522 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 9:24 AM

I do not remember what tier or level i was but I started looking to upgrade my driver when the starter driver could no longer reach fairway  on ST ANDREWS hole 7.I was not aware of this forum but these guys or gals could give you better info as to club suggestions 

MEL

• rabrown53
    96 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 10:44 AM

if i had it to do over, again, i would work from the hole back to the tee (unless your driver can't reach the fairway).  get a good putter, like the max control putters.  they are great and don't cost an arm and a leg.  then get the best wedges, then irons, then driver/3wood.   your average will improve greatly when you can get close to the hole using your wedges.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 10:51 AM

RobGeorghiou:
    I’m new to the game and am yet to buy any clubs. 
    what do people recommend- my feeling is I need a driver to compete.
    As a Tour Pro, you might want to start with a 3WD (replacing driver + second use on the fairway (*)), plus one or two short wedges to get more precise shots around the green.

(*) been there, did that

Reasons:

It may be only 40 games until you hit Master, taking you back to the next set of tees. THEN you will need a new driver, and you will take advantage of the levels you are gaining in between.

Have fun and hit it straight!

• gtorrealba
    49 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 12:03 PM

There are definitely a lot of strategies out there. The most "efficient" (and probably least fun) is to save your Credits until you get to some of the higher tiers and can get equipment that won't need to be upgraded as frequently as some of the lower tiers. [There's some sweet Drivers in the L70s, Vokey wedges in the upper L70s, etc.]

If you're mostly looking to increase the fun factor, Driver is where I think most players start. I was getting incredibly frustrated with the short game aspect and picked up a 64-degree wedge that instantly started shaving strokes off my game because I could knock it close inside of 50 yds. Same with putter: hated that the lower end putters could never hold a line.

Whatever you do decide: know that your trade-in value is 25% of the price you paid  so you'll want to pick equipment that you're good to hold on to.

• RobGeorghiou
    6 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 12:05 PM

Thanks both

So basically I’ll need a Driver and 3 Wood within the next 50 odd games. 
    Might just bite the bullet now!

• RobGeorghiou
    6 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 12:15 PM

Thanks. 
    So there’s no way of improving a club distance wise once you’ve bought it?

I’m tempted to just go for a Driver, 3 Wood and putter now.

Playing against someone who outdrives you by 100 yards is so demoralising!

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 1:22 PM
  • WahooSerious
    220 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2020 1:55 PM

I found this this forum thread to be very helpful - 

The thrifty newbie upgrade path - first wedges & woods
  • claude74c
    1 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2021 5:24 AM

Wow, these tables are wonderful!

saves a lot of time and allows to plan for purchases because it shows not only what we can already get but as well what we can get soon as we mode up levels . Thanks!

• PAGES
RSS