Forums

Help › Forums

Is this game fixed

Thu, Apr 11 2024 2:30 AM (113 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2021 7:27 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Sorry for derailing, but I often hear "are" in lieu of "is" when you Brits refer to an entity. Any reason why or just the way it is in proper English?

I Googled it and found a nice overview on English Stack Exchange. 

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1338/are-collective-nouns-always-plural-or-are-certain-ones-singular

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2021 9:25 AM

Greynurse0:

I couldn't agree more, BrianCheese. Unfortunately, WGT has fallen in with the worst things that have destroyed gaming today. In this case it is the construction of the game to "reward" you by parting with your money. No spend, no reward. And the cost of items is, let's face it, for the cashed up working class who love on line golf. 
    I'm a level 91 tour pro with an average of 67.8. I've 4 credits to my account after I bought 20$Aus worth of credits to buy a 240yard driver and a set of Ben Hogan irons. That was it. My pension won't allow me any more "luxuries". I'm fortunate to be able to, on occasion, tp beat players ranked above me. Heck, I even beat a Champion on a 3 hole H to H. But more often than not, I'm pitted against players with 40+ yards over my driver and balls that slow down the meter and also produce good back spin. That puts me at a considerable disadvantage. I'll never be able to afford those things. I just rely on trying to memorise the best areas to aim for on fairways and greens, while hopefully hitting as straight as I can (which is not as often as I like).
    If I win a major lottery, I'll upscale everything to get my own back on those rude so and so's who cannot win graciously. Until then, I play as well as I can and dream of that day. 

WGT is like any other hobby or pastime...It is a "for profit" business which actually charges very little given the enjoyment they provide.  Additionally, there are ways to obtain better equipment aside from your credit card. There are videos you can watch to accumulate credits; else take advantage of a few giveaways like Xmas in July (run by Robert) or the 12 days of Xmas. Both initiatives strive to provide needy players with better equipment and balls.

ct

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2021 11:33 AM

Robert1893:
    Nevertheless, as far as "letting it go," we weren't the ones who resurrected a dead thread. We had "let it go."  

When I said let it go I meant saying about him being a multi.

I looked through both threads and can see why you thought it possible but I thought to mention it again after his explanation was unnecessary at best. 

Robert1893:
    And also to be clear, at no point did I accuse him of having multiple accounts. What I wrote was, "some of the stuff he posts leads one to believe he might have multiple accounts."

That's not an accusation. It's an observation. That's a distinction with a difference. Moreover, while I termed what he posted as "stupid," I never used negative terminology toward him (such as calling him an a-hole).

I realise it was sort of about you but my response wasn't directed, even indirectly, to you.

So to also be clear what I was responding to was "You attacked Robert for suggesting that you might be a multi then virtually admit to being a multi in another post! ".

Where I personally am less keen on what you actually said;  "Posting stupid stuff? That deserves to be ridiculed." More as there were other similar posts, if you were him what would you be feeling at that point. And you did apologise for that.

As to the cause for these comments "spend $100 on WGT and suddenly you shoot 52s instead of 67s." Is that really so ridiculous? To me yes the actual numbers are (I don't know if I've ever shot 52), but the range?  If I scored 72 with starter gear I'd be pleased, I'd be similarly pleased with 57 with the stuff I have. A better player would possibly hit the numbers posted, to me the main the mistake was $100 as that wouldn't be enough to get you more than a top range driver and  putter, maybe more like $250 in total.    

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2021 12:37 PM

DodgyPutter:
    I realise it was sort of about you but my response wasn't directed, even indirectly, to you.

I didn't think it was. I just used your post and point to reiterate that the thread was old. In other words, I don't understand why it was being brought back to life. But since it had been resurrected, I thought I might as well clarify what I wrote.

The rest I sent in a PM to you.

As always, I respect your thoughts. I hope nothing I wrote suggested otherwise.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2021 1:13 PM

Nicole161106:

It's to do with plural and singular, e.g.-

Simon is posting on this topic

Simon and Dodgy are posting on this topic

Ummm... Not exactly what I wanted as an answer but thanks anyways, Nicole.

Robert1893:

Nice find, Robert. 👍 I see, I see... Still sounds very weird to my ears though... Thank you, sir. 🙂

ct690911:

WGT is like any other hobby or pastime...It is a "for profit" business which actually charges very little given the enjoyment they provide. Additionally, there are ways to obtain better equipment aside from your credit card. There are videos you can watch to accumulate credits; else take advantage of a few giveaways like Xmas in July (run by Robert) or the 12 days of Xmas. Both initiatives strive to provide needy players with better equipment and balls.

ct

Very well said, ct. Couldn't agree more.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2021 1:29 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Nice find, Robert. 👍 I see, I see... Still sounds very weird to my ears though... Thank you, sir. 🙂

You're very welcome. My pleasure. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2021 3:56 PM

Robert1893:
    I didn't think it was. I just used your post and point to reiterate that the thread was old. In other words, I don't understand why it was being brought back to life. But since it had been resurrected, I thought I might as well clarify what I wrote.

The rest I sent in a PM to you.

As always, I respect your thoughts. I hope nothing I wrote suggested otherwise.

I did reply but as ever wrote too much and confused myself :-/  I never have any problem with you, we sometimes disagree but I always find you reasoned and civil. 

I do agree with Brian in this but, like him, realise it can never be for free.  There could be a discussion around the prices, £50 for a virtual driver etc, but is that even where we are now?

When was the last time a there was a new club (I'm certainly not complaining here) that was better then what we have?  All I can remember for ages is rebranding with, fairly small,  price hikes attached.  Now if you want more length you get shoes, hat for spin etc etc.  I don't know about this stuff but my impression is the prices are lower initially but there are many increments and you can't play with the starter hat for ages the buy the best one, you need to get all the ones in-between before the go 400yd special. 

Perhaps wgt decided pushing equipment prices even further wouldn't work with the new, younger, audience they were looking for so the main income sources are now (still) balls but then apparel, clashes and turf wars.  Those that stay for a long time will obviously want better equipment too.

• Greynurse0
    37 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2021 7:51 AM

On the topic of videos, what videos? I play on my PC and there are no videos in the tab.I took part in the questionares initially, until my inbox was so flooded with difficult to unsubscibe spam that I scotched that method. Besides, I heard the videos are only worth 2 credits a viewing. Pretty lousy, really. So far, to be fair, I've taken adantage of the free club hire periods. They're good.
    Could I suggest a couple of things? In the head to head rooms, is it possible to better match players based on their clubs? Paticularly driver and wood distances? And, despite WGT being a "for profit" organisation, could you PLEASE bring the price of balls to within reach of more players. Especially as they have a finite life. Actually, this is one area where WGT has the physics of wear and tear on balls right. But in reality they are a very affordable item.

• Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 9:01 PM

Wutpa:

BrianCheese:
    What are peoples thoughts on WGT being weighted in favour of people who spend money on their product?

Cause and effect. Of course having better equipment will help you achieve lower scores.

BrianCheese:
    I've played the game for many years, but have never had the inclination to spend money on it because it lacks consistency; doesn't work the same on differing machines and in my opinion prevents you from scoring low unless you've spent money on WGT products.

Why on earth would expect to get the best scores with inferior equipment? Do you expect to win the Monaco Grand Prix in a Trabant?

I can also ask, how good those equipments should be, that game starts work propely?? And what level/tier it might happen??

• Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2021 8:24 AM

Have to say, this game blow up my nerves!

How it might be possible to leave putt on edge, 0.2 inc and upper side of hole. Its not be possible, in my opinion!! 2-3 times at round.

RSS