Help › Forums

The thrifty newbie upgrade path - first wedges & woods

Fri, Dec 31 2021 2:51 PM (52 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, May 3 2020 8:09 PM

KennyDC70:
    though the biggest social/advancement gains seem to be with mainly PC

Mobile players tend to keep to themselves more, it seems.  Some like you find your way into the forum, but mobile players have to go out of their way to try and connect.  And mobile does not allow for multiplayer games yet other than coin and practice games.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 4:55 AM

el3n1:

KennyDC70:
    though the biggest social/advancement gains seem to be with mainly PC

Mobile players tend to keep to themselves more, it seems. 

Disagree. Or at least not by choice.

You can meet people in H2H games and add them as friends. You can then play people on your friends list if they are online and in a position to accept your invitation. 

I play 9 hole rounds regularly with friends. Only issue is the 45 second shot clock. Hard to banter with it. Need a 90 second shot clock option or even a no clock shot often when playing friends. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 5:50 AM

Tony08888:
    Disagree. Or at least not by choice.

My observation is based on mobile players that join TPC and dont get involved in the forums..  Obviously players can and do play others in coin games and friends.  But that alone does not get them into forums to be more active socially. 

45s is one factor, but so is messaging on a hunt n peck keypad vs typing on a keyboard or using voice chat  during 45s games.  It isnt even easy to send a dm to a friend from mobile, some dont even know how to check messages.  

Those who do get that far, tend to be more active but they tend to be the exception not reflective of the majority of mobile players.  

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 7:00 AM

Understood.

Semantics then. “Tend to keep to themselves” sounds like the choice of a reclusive person. 

WGT really should work to put a forum button on the mobile app. It’s been mentioned many times. It would certainly make it available to those who do not know it exists.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 8:19 AM

Tony08888:
    Semantics then. “Tend to keep to themselves” sounds like the choice of a reclusive person. 

It is a generalization because there can be far too many reasons why mobile players may or may not be more active.  The one's that seem to make an intentional effort to engage into the forums just appear to be less common.  But the same can be applied to any number of desktop users as well.  

We tend to see primarily the same common names in the forums.  Sometimes you may see the rare post of someone that has been on WGT for over 5 years and they finally make a post because something didn't go right.  The regulars will often even point out -- great first post!

Getting more desktop players to engage in the forums has been a topic in TPC forums as well.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 8:29 AM

You want to see people active on the forums? Just offer a free sleeve of balls like someone did a while back. People were posting that I had never heard of before. 

The forum participation was remarkable!  😁

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 8:53 AM

GrindNGamble:

I must be in the minority but I haven't seen the benefit of paid balls so far. I've tried some lower end ones and they do slow the meter, but the release on them is a lot less which has put my irons off. I still shoot better scores with my starter ball so have kept using that for now. 

As you note, you've only played the lower-end, paid balls. I guarantee you that you would see a big difference if you played some higher-priced balls. 

I remember the first time I purchased some higher-end balls. They were the Level 71 Nike. I was shocked at the difference. The first or second round I played with them, I shot a 28 on the back 9 of St. Andrews. It was my first sub-30 score ever. 

I bet if you just bought the Level 33 Callaway, you'd see a difference.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 12:11 PM

Robert1893:
    As you note, you've only played the lower-end, paid balls. I guarantee you that you would see a big difference if you played some higher-priced balls. 

it does depend on whether he is talking about how his clubs play with sponsor apparel and without sponsor apparel.

lower end / cheap balls can play quite well and competitively with apparel.  higher end balls, require a better understanding of how the spin and distance will impact your clubs if you don't have them mapped. 

that said, as you noted, without apparel... a higher end or even med range ball can play much better with default clubs over a lower end ball.

with all the new variables with sponsor apparel and when it is in play  and when it isn't, it adds another layer to the choices people can make. imho.

• GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 12:51 PM

It's mostly without apparel but even with it I don't find the lower end balls perform any better for me than the free ball. I do notice the slower meter which can, in particular, help with lower metered clubs, such as my wedges, but in terms of scoring, I find I shoot just as well with the starter ball.

Which certainly isn't to say that a top end ball wouldn't make a difference, but in respect to OP's boost, you'd save more credits just using the starter ball rather than opting for a low end one. That's my experience at least. It may just be that I suck equally much with both types of golf balls.

• KennyDC70
    20 Posts
    Tue, May 5 2020 9:17 PM

GrindNGamble:

I must be in the minority but I haven't seen the benefit of paid balls so far. I've tried some lower end ones and they do slow the meter, but the release on them is a lot less which has put my irons off. I still shoot better scores with my starter ball so have kept using that for now. 

Interesting, besides the meter speed I personally did notice a change in spin. I can't get reverse on my wedges but I can stop them just about dead, whereas the starters always had some roll with full spin on both. If that's not the case with your play (which looks excellent as is) then it's 150cr a day saved towards any future clubs. I'd say it's worth the 64-100cr for newer (at least mobile) players just to try out.

el3n1:

It is a generalization because there can be far too many reasons why mobile players may or may not be more active.  The one's that seem to make an intentional effort to engage into the forums just appear to be less common.

I'd wager there's one fairly simple yet significant one - visibility. The forums are slotted under the typically less-oft-visited 'help' tab, rather than alone or under the (IMO) far more obvious-looking 'community' tab where users may expect it and are more likely to stumble into the forum, so to speak. Compounding that, promotion (or knowledge of its existence) to new users is literally nil. This is effectively backwards from many sites (with forums) that I've seen. I'll be honest and admit I didn't realize the forums existed from the wgt home page on my first visits - it was further google searches that led me in, and momentarily confused snooping to find the link

RSS