Forums

Help › Forums

eTour Changes for Scandinavian Mixed Qualifier

Wed, Aug 12 2020 1:28 PM (42 replies)
  • WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2020 2:09 PM

Hi everyone, 

The new eTour Qualifier, European eTour Qualifier: Scandinavian Mixed, starts on Monday and will run a little differently. 

Instead of a single 8-week qualifier to determine our top 128 that move to the bracket stage, we're running 8 single-week qualifiers to determine our top 128 that move to the bracket stage. 

How does that work? 

I'm glad you asked. 

Each 1-week qualifier will add the top 16 new players on the leaderboard to the 128-player bracket round.

Players can only qualify once and will officially qualify with their earliest qualifying performance.

Players who qualify in both week 1 and week 2 will only have their score from week 1 counted towards the next round even if their score and leaderboard placement is better in the second week.

Each qualifier will take the top 16 new players (not yet qualified from previous weeks) regardless of overall score compared to players in the other qualifying weeks. 

A player outside of the top 16 in week 1 who holds a better score than a player inside the top 16 in week 8 will not qualify. 

Once the top 128 are confirmed for the bracket stage, players will be seeded by their qualifying score. 

When two or more players share the same score going into the bracket round, seeding will be determined by (1) normal leaderboard tiebreakers and then (2) the week in which they qualified.

If 2 players share a score of 60 from the same weekly qualifier, the normal leaderboard tiebreakers will apply. (https://www.wgt.com/help.aspx#ties)

If 2 players share a score of 60 from different weekly qualifiers, the player who qualified in the earlier qualifier will be the higher seeded player. 

If you have questions, leave them in the comments. 

Thanks, 

_CHAMPION 
  • TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2020 3:42 PM

• Young46
    1,291 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2020 7:55 PM

TopShelf2010:

WGTChampion:
    we're running 8 single-week qualifiers

Will ALL of the weekly qualifiers be played at the same course? (Congressional)

Or will there be a different course each week?

Don

They will all be on Congressional.

• yede
    1 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2020 9:29 PM

Error #2170: https://sdms.wgt.com/upload/2020/3/u6813107_20200308_153322.jpg

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2020 11:41 PM

Hi Champ

This is looking quite different n refreshing.

But would you be able to take the unlimited factor out of this? If single play not possible, at least limited tries will be a looking forward great idea.

Tx

- Carl 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 5:42 AM

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 6:33 AM

Two things immediately occur to me.  The top players will be glad not to play these beyond the first couple of weeks, but I suppose that was pretty much the case anyway. If the likes of me was going to start 100 rounds trying to qualify then best play them in the last week with 112 better players out of the way. 

I wonder if participation will go up in the later weeks when folk think they've a better chance of qualifying? I'm gussing that's at least part of the idea.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 7:13 AM

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2020 5:19 AM

My initial thought was that this would needlessly complicate the seeding process for the bracket round, but I could see this boosting participation, so looking forward to how it plays out. 

Side note: I would love to see beginner clubs for one of the future tournaments (in the L30 range) to make things more interesting. The current set is basically equivalent to what I usually play and doesn't cost any shots except for some long par 4's where the shorter driver distance comes into play.

This means a live event under the usual easy settings (even lies, mod winds, 13 greens, long shot clock of 45 seconds) will be a snooze because no one will struggle to score. It also decreases the chance for weaker players to create an upset (most favourites made it through the brackets this time) when top players can play a set that very closely resembles their own.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2020 8:48 AM

birchi:
    Side note: I would love to see beginner clubs for one of the future tournaments (in the L30 range) to make things more interesting.

Some players I am sure would hate it, but those who manage the course best which is still a major factor that allows the best players to win will still be a decisive factor.

I agree, the current set is basically high end clubs.  I have observed a number of top players who don't upgrade from these irons in particular... because they learn them so well as they advance they don't see a need to upgrade.  

Another twist or layer of strategy that occurred to me... and could easily be used in the finals is where you flip a coin … the player that wins the coin toss can choose to pick the course or the amount of time allotted (30 45 60s) for example.

Some players may favor a certain course whereas some players may feel more comfortable on a certain timer depending on your style of play.  It adds a whole new layer to strategy and your choices may vary for the player you are matched up against.  I would find this layer of strategy more interesting than the previous course selection that has been used.  Just a thought / idea.

RSS