Forums

Help › Forums

So, what's happening around here?

Wed, Apr 8 2020 8:57 PM (37 replies)
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 11:54 AM

Greetings all who remember me. Some of you know what happened to me last Summer but most probably don't and those that do probably don't know the full story so, fill your glasses and sit back to hear my sad story.

On August 14th 2019 I went for a ride on my mountain bike and tried a new route I'd walked a few days earlier. Well, apparently I did, I have zero memory of that day. Or the next few days.

Apparently I skidded off the trail and fell about 100 feet, completely smashing my C6 vertebrae and breaking my T11 and T12, along with several ribs. I had the incredible good fortune to be seen falling by a woman on the other side of the Rhein who immediately called the rescue services. After several hours searching I was hauled out by a mountain rescue helicopter and taken to an island in the Rhein where I was transferred to an air ambulance and then to Mainz where I was operated on. In all I had 3 operations over the next 6 days, not that I can recall any of it. After 15 days I was transferred to a rehab clinic where I spent the next 4.5 months.

I now have about 20 screws, 4 rods and a metal vertebrae in my back and neck but I can walk with assistance and am pretty confident I'll be rid of this wheelchair one day soon. My hands are pretty badly effected but I have hopes for them too. Without hope, what have we got?

I hope to be able to catch up with many old friends here and have a game and a whisky.

Or 4...…...

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 12:05 PM

Wow.  100 feet.  You are lucky to be alive!

Many who have never mountain biked will never understand just how easy it is to fall and get injured or worse.  Even on relatively easy terrain, one small technical mistake or error in judgement can send you to the hospital.  It's happened to several of my friends as well as myself.

Best of luck to you as you continue to recover... and welcome back to WGT.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 12:29 PM

Welcome back Damien and enjoy your return.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 12:40 PM

"Me, me, me, me....."  never changes does it?* Hahahaha!

Superb that you've made it back here as promised, Damian.

Friday night foursomes are most defo getting closer. 

Catch you on the mobile thingy, bud.

👍

*D gets it, don't fret folks.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:03 PM

I GOT FIRST DIBS ON DAMIEN!!

Oh man, so great to have you back, D. Got just the place for your rehab, too. We'll be leaving a light on for ya.  You can commiserate with BigCountry-he managed to roll a Jeep while you were out (literally) and got a bump on his head, knocking himself silly.

He's fine now so you two can do your thanks to the higher power on the 19th.  ;-)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:07 PM

Had read here about your accident and have thought of you often, wondering how you were doing.  So glad to hear from you, D.  

I know your rehab has been and continues to be very tough, but sounds like each day is a little better than the previous one and that you're making tremendous progress.

Whenever you're ready send me a pm and we'll hook up for some alt and/or mp and do some catching up.

All the best, my friend.

• bigcountry317
    4,269 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:09 PM

Heck of a nice surprise to see you around wgt today bud.....sounds like a nightmare of a wreck, prolly a good thing you don't remember it!

Best wishes on a complete recovery and I will be looking forward to a round with you soon!

edit: Just saw Jim's post

YankeeJim:
    You can commiserate with BigCountry-he managed to roll a Jeep while you were out (literally) and got a bump on his head, knocking himself silly.

I've already told my wife and kiddos that I must be Bald Thor......but feel free to take on the mantle of any of the rest of 'em, Damian lmao!  With all the new metal bling you are sporting, Iron Man seems pretty appropriate to me. :-)

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:16 PM

O my!

First thing I hear of your accident - good to read you're on your way back!

Gute Besserung - I'm pressing my thumbs for you!!

• callaghan159
    6,214 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:19 PM

That's some incident Damien. Good to hear you are on the road to recovery. Sounds painful, what you have endured. Hope you are back to 100% soon. Taking care of yourself is first priority.

• mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:30 PM

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery

RSS