Forums

Help › Forums

Am I about to be a sucker or just living in an expensive city?

Thu, Dec 12 2019 11:46 PM (41 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 4:12 AM

Alright, I'm about to ask something that has nothing to do with the game and/or golf. My apologies.

I've been searching for a place near my neighborhood where I can get my new car stereo installed and found a place so I called, asked him how much I should be expecting for his service and he asked for 180 bucks (USD 135)!! Now the thing is I already have this new double-din unit purchased a few days ago so it just needs to get wired up and installed in my car. Is it a reasonable service charge or is he trying to rip me off? Can't tell as I'm still new to the town... to be honest, I was expecting the price range to be below $100. 

I was thinking about doing it myself but I'd be certainly better off leaving it to a professional's hands with no worries of messing it up and buying all those additional tools like wire stripper, crimp caps, electrical tape, trim removers, etc., etc.

How much would it be reasonable for this kind of service? It might widely vary depending on where you are but in general...

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 4:33 AM

it sounds a little high to me. About 4 years ago I bought a new car stereo with installation for less that what he is charging just for the installation, 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 5:01 AM

just a guideline here, but I figure it might take about 3 hours of labor ( you didn't say how old the vehicle was, (as it's a different ballgame if you have an electric car) .  Multiply your own wages by 3, then figure in the cost of the tools, face plates needed, etc ( as u would have to purchase them ) then the fact that he is now responsible for his work,  I would guesstimate, that he's only charging you, about 55 us dollars ,  not bad. Remember he has the knowledge, that's worth something, and you aren't going to get dirty, or crawl around , bending etc.   go get breakfast come back and enjoy your ride.  This is just the way I look at things.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 5:24 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    he asked for 180 bucks (USD 135)

I think that's ridiculously high. I've installed many stereos in the cars I've driven over the years and have never taken 3 hours to put one in. It's not rocket science and I'd be willing to bet if you can read directions, you could save yourself the money and do it yourself.

Online resources are insane these days and you could probably find a how-to on Youtube.  :-)

p.s., You're only dealing with a 12 volt system so the worst that could happen is you blow a fuse. It's not like you're going to electrocute yourself.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 5:33 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    I was thinking about doing it myself but

If you can do it yourself, then just ask yourself, would you rather do it or is the time and hassle worth spending the money for someone else to do it?

AKA   hire it done.   Me personally, I enjoy that kind of stuff and would just DIY and the money saved would probably just go toward the beer I drank while doing the install myself. LOL

Guess you could try to get other estimates if possible.  Also, older car or newer car?  Is there room for a double din unit or will it require some fabrication?  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 5:42 AM

hpurey:
    Is there room for a double din

What is a double din?

($135 worth of beer to install it?!!)  LOL, that's you.  ;-)

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 5:48 AM

Sounds like a crazy amount, Simon!

May be you should ask couple of other guys n stuff. Iam not an expert but if you can find a YouTube video or something that is close n similar, you can do it yourself, I guess.

Again not sure about the do n don'ts installing it self, but won't be a big deal as the worst case scenario is mentioned by Jim :) :) 

Once all done n set, Happy listening n music to the ears !!! Laaa Laaalaaaa Laaa lol  ;) ;) 

- Carl

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 6:02 AM

I don't think 135 is outrageous,  espically when some idiots will pay at the very least that amount, to go to a ball park, and watch a bunch of elderly adolescents play a game.    lol

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 6:33 AM

also beware, if u have a hybrid, voltages can average from 150 to 300 volts dc.   some go as high as 600 .   Automobiles have come a long way since the model Ts.  

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 6:34 AM

YankeeJim:

hpurey:
    Is there room for a double din

What is a double din?

($135 worth of beer to install it?!!)  LOL, that's you.  ;-)

LOL Jim.... "Din" is the size basically.  So if the vehicle already has room for a 2 or "Double" din radio then it shouldn't be as hard.  Now if there isn't room then who knows what's needed to get one to fit as each vehicle could and should be a different can of worms LOL.

Related image

And NO, even for me, a lot of that $135 would be going toward install materials (brackets, pigtail adapters, solder tape etc)  .....So maybe $90 or so for beer and then a little to buy band-aids  and cleaner to deal with any spills LOL.

RSS