Forums

Help › Forums

How to guage distance: chipping/pitching.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 16 2022 12:01 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Jazziz1
    4 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 8:15 AM

How do you accurately guage the distance of a chip or pitch shot?  The club I was using said it was good for 22 yards.  The shot I needed was 22 yards but I backed off the power guage a small bit and my shot still went 30 yards! (Why can't I have this problem with my drivers?)  If my club says it's good for 16 yards and I use about half the power guage to go around 8 yards, my shot duffs and goes about 2-3 yards or less.  Obviously, the distance on the guage (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, etc.) does not correspond with the resulting distance of any given club. I've been messing with it for some time but I just can't figure it out.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 10:41 AM
  • Jazziz1
    4 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 8:13 PM

I've seen that post but it doesn't really address the question.  If I need the distance given for a club and I use the full power meter to try and achieve that distance, it's going to go much farther so there is something I'm missing. Does the given club distance not allow for roll or something?  What if I only want half the distance of a given club for chipping/pitching?  At what point in the power meter will I achieve that?  The halfway point of the power meter wouldn't be nearly enough. It seems as if all the power for trying to finesse a desired distance is in the upper 1/2 to 1/4 of the power meter.  

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 9:22 PM

Practice and note taking is the only way to get the hang of this game. If you want half the distance from a putter say, then you'll need about two thirds of the meter. If you hit half way across you'll get about 40%. 

• Jazziz1
    4 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:51 AM

Putting really isn't that random.  With the 30 foot putter, each time the club head moves back is about 6 feet of putting distance. With the 60 foot putter, each time the club head moves back it's about 12 feet.  I think the 150 foot putter is about 16 feet for each movement of the club head.  If there's a similar way to guage the chipping/pitching clubs, I haven't found it yet.  Maybe the only way to find a pattern is to take notes.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:09 AM

Here is something I wrote a while back maybe this will help some...

There is a time and place for almost every shot on here. What Bogey wrote is to the point but I like to think that a persons short game is what makes or breaks a player on WGT. When someone starts to scream about how this game sucks the first place I go is to their stats page and look at 4 things

1. 1 putt Average
    2. 2 Putt Average
    3. Sand %
    4. Scrambling %

By looking at these stats it will usually tell you about everything you need to know about a player. While it depends on the short game shot  I almost always use full to 3/4 backspin on the shot to control the amount of roll. So when do you use each shot? I do not believe there are any set standards but here a few I live by.

1. Chip: Fringe or under 2 feet from the hole. Average roll with a chip shot with full backspin 2-3 feet on a normal to slightly up hill lie, factor in 1.5 to 2 on a 1-2 down hill lie. Anymore than that look at flop shot.

2. Pitch: More that 2 feet away from green, ball is not below where I can see the green. Average roll with a pitch shot with full backspin 4-6 feet on a normal lie, 4-5 on uphill lie, add +3 on a downhill lie.

3. Flop: One of the least valued shots on here because most do not know how to use this shot. 95% of the time you should never hit the ding line but stop it at the first marker to the left of the ding line. Doing this will force the ball to go straight where you aim rather than come off the club head to the right. Great shot 15 to 24 feet from the hole. Great shot if you have a large down hill or up hill lie or where you think the shot does not favor a chip or pitch shot. Average roll 3-4, will stop dead with callaway s ball.

4. Full Wedge: I am not sure how many utilize the 50 yd wedge around the green on short shots but I tend to use it a lot and with great accuracy on shots anywhere from 20+ when I want the ball to stop almost dead or need a good backspin to the whole (works best with callaway S). With other balls it will roll 2-3 yds depending on the lie.

While I know there are more rules these are just a few of the basics ones I use. All to often I have seen some forum trolls write that you cannot use these with any accuracy and to that I say BS! I have 55+ (94 now) holed approach shots and maybe 10 were lucky shots from long distances. I think it was Avatar Lee that once wrote the great players on this game do not always shot birdies but they rarely have bogies. Some of the best players on here have scrambling and sand %'s in the high 70's to low 80's. While I have not achieved that, being in the mid 60's has allowed me to move to legend and shot under par right away.  IMO!

• robdelahunty
    670 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 2:56 AM

Great post Ernie,most informative and very helpful tyvm Sgt!

Bob.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:09 AM

Jazziz1:
    Does the given club distance not allow for roll or something? 

No, it doesn't. Pitches roll a lot as do chips so you have to expect this and plan accordingly. The swing meter is not proportional to the distance. Half a swing doesn't get you half the yardage. In fact, swinging less than 50-60% with pitches and chips will get you in trouble, like you've seen. The upper 1/4  to 1/3 is where you want to operate. Spin affects this if you use clubs and/or balls that have it.

If you're not sure about how far the ball will run (until you practice and figure it out) use the flop shot. That is a very good up and down shot and will save you a bunch of pars.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:54 AM

For pitches, say you have 13 yard pitch shot (zatin 64 wedge) a 17 yard pitch shot & 25 yard pitch shot.( ping or zatin wedges)  The pitch shot will always travel 2 or 3 yards past pin with normal shot, maybe 2 max with back spin. (but the higher spin cleveland wedges seem to be bang on yardage wise with full backspin)

Say i had a 25 yards to pin (flat green) i would use full backspin, and maybe 2 cm's off full power, this will usually be right near pin.  If i have 28/29 pitch shot, i will use 25 yard pitching wedge and not give it spin, this will then roll to 28, 29 if i'm lucky.

(these are on tournament greens)

What you need to watch out is if your pitching to a part that's on a slope, this will cause the ball to roll maybe 10 yards past i.e Kiwah's second par 5

Remember also the pitch shot travells 50% in the air, so if i have 25 yard pitch shot, 25 mph headwind, then i would give more power, a touch under full with pings, or full with clevelands (+backspin) & this works the opposite with tailwind

For chip shot i always use back spin, and if i have 12 yard chip, i would hit a bit under full power (if chiping wedge was say 11 yards) without backspin i would expect the chip shot to travel say 13 yards.  If there is a slope, say 5ins, i would only give a touch over half way on power & full b/spin.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 6:07 PM

robdelahunty:

Great post Ernie,most informative and very helpful tyvm Sgt!

Bob.

thanks bob

• PAGES
RSS