Forums

Help › Forums

Switching from Ben Hogan PTx 75+ to Callaway Apex 19 85+ ?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 31 2019 3:52 PM (2 replies)
  • DVC2112
    299 Posts
    Sat, Oct 26 2019 4:15 PM

I am currently using the Ben Hogan PTx L75+ irons and love the accuracy, high trajectory, and distance breakdown.  The killer is the Forgiveness and Meter speed, since I typically use the Callaway slow meter 3.5 balls (the most credits I can justify for balls) and a slight miss of the ding can mean a lost ball due to that lack of forgiveness.

Have been feverishly working to get to L85 and try out the Callaway Apex 19's, which have more forgiveness and a slower meter, most else being fairly similar.  Has anyone already made this change?  If so, how do like the Apex's compared to the BH PTx?

Any input is appreciated.

Thx, in advance!

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 2:21 PM

No doubt you should switch to the 85 Apex (formerly Rogue). Better stats all around, and no more awkward yardage spread for 8-9-PW. 

PS: I find it odd that you didn’t enjoy the PTX/Cally 3.5 combo. I used to have the same clubs/ball setup, and I could ding my shots very consistently. 

• DVC2112
    299 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 3:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, fobby...

I do love these PTX irons, and they are solid with the Callaway balls.  I think it might just be the variance in the speed of my other clubs that is causing a bit of goofiness in my ding placement now and then, beyond just the normal.  I'm a little over an hour away now from getting to L85 so I should find out tonight how the Apex 19's work out,  Very hopeful!

----------------- EDIT 11.1.19 --------------

Made L85 and got the free rental on the Aprex's.  Great irons!  Traded in the BH's and bought them.  A lot of rounds since and no complaints... quite the opposite.

RSS