Forums

Help › Forums

Welcome to WGT Early Access!

Thu, Dec 14 2023 8:58 PM (1,414 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2022 11:01 AM

I don't think I have ever seen a gold sovereign Cicero. Before decimalisation in 1971 we had £1 notes and 10 shilling notes (paper equivalent of 50p).

• MioKontic
    4,587 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2022 3:10 PM

I still have a 1 pound note, the sort that was in circulation last, the smaller one.  Don't think I've got the older, slightly larger one.

The reason I've got a few halfpennies is because I made a puzzle where you showed someone the halfpenny through a hole in the bottom layer of a 3-layer wooden puzzle.  You showed them how to get it out, and then asked them to do it... and obviously they couldn't.  I thought about trying to market it, but once people knew how to do it it would become redundant, so I gave up on the idea and just 'entertained' others with it myself.  There was never any intention to keep the coins for increased value later.

I do also have one or more old (pre-1948) 2 shilling coins with the king's head, or 10p as they later became after decimalisation.  I did collect those because I was told that those with a king's head (King George VI), and particularly pre-1948, might be worth something in the future.  I still have the coins, but I've never looked into their worth any further; for all I know they could be worth nothing, or they could be worth a million pounds!

• craigswan
    30,837 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2022 3:27 PM

I have pennies from 1890 .

three pence pieces from 1950 .

They ain't worth anything unless they are in mint condition .

• HenryKawa
    1,720 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2022 9:25 PM

BOZskills:

Scott,i think wgt should pay you. Seriously you help at least as many people as they do. Which takes some pressure off c/s. Good on ya mate!

I agree totally..  Scott you are the best.   

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 1:29 AM

Thank you Henry. ; )

MioKontic:
    The reason I've got a few halfpennies is because I made a puzzle where you showed someone the halfpenny through a hole in the bottom layer of a 3-layer wooden puzzle.

Interesting, any pictures?

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 7:04 AM

Who remembers the game called shovehalfpenny ? 
    a wooden board , with lines engraved across it , used 6 halfpennies and the palm of your hand to hit the halfpennies to land them in the spaces between the lines , had to get three on each line , you chalked your scores at the edge of the board , whoever filled all the lines x3 , first was the winner. About 8/10 lines to fill , from memory.  

• craigswan
    30,837 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 9:01 AM

All explained lesley .

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 10:22 AM

Hey Craig ! That’s it exactly ! It was a big part of my childhood , good , clean harmless family fun ! Thanks for loading that video !! Lol

• HenryKawa
    1,720 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 9:07 AM

I remember

RSS