Help › Forums

Friends limit ... members should know

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 16 2021 4:28 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2019 8:52 PM

This is not a gripe.  I am just providing information for those who are not aware.

There is a 255 person limit on the number of friends one can have if you want to be able to message your friends.  One can have hundreds of friends if one doesn't care about messaging ability.  For club owners, that 255 limit is critical because we have to be able to message.

As the owner of a club with 239 members, this is an ongoing issue for me.  In my 255 friends, figure 2 WGT contacts, 15-20 owners and others I share information with, 35-40 for AS games (not in BD) … that means all our club members cannot be my friends as I type.

I also have to add members for certain community AS or match play tournaments where we have to friend each other to set time to play.

The first time I ran across this, before I was an owner, was when I sent a friends message to an owner.  The response was curt and essentially, "What do you want?"  I didn't get it then but I sure understood it later.

Recently, I got a friends request and accepted it (after deleting someone).  I asked what's up.  I was told just checking to see if you would accept.  Others will not.

There's a reason.  I kept her as a friend for 2 weeks and deleted her.

Tom.

• mikepool
    26 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2019 10:00 PM

maybe not the good place but need help y have 344 friends an y would like to remove many of them how can y do that.

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2019 9:03 AM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2019 9:24 AM

mikepool:

maybe not the good place but need help y have 344 friends an y would like to remove many of them how can y do that.

There is no easy way to do it. The best way I found was to go to your profile, expand your friends list, right click on one to remove and open in a separate tab. Go to that tab, delete the friend like Casey pointed out and close the page. If you don't see Remove Friend on the page, refresh it. 

The key is not having to wait after you hit the delete button to return to your profile.  :-)

• 2questions
    856 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2019 11:13 AM

jacktrade51:
    There is a 255 person limit on the number of friends one can have if you want to be able to message your friends.  One can have hundreds of friends if one doesn't care about messaging ability.  For club owners, that 255 limit is critical because we have to be able to message

Curious.

Are you deleting their message thread when removing people from your friend's list...?  

Tom, I confess I just don't have the memory I once had.   

I have very active message threads goin' all the way back to March May 2015.  This allows me to keep my FL consistently under 200,  lets me have continued communication without friend's listing, plus...

It's been great for maintaining keeping a continuous message record.  

Manage & cull the FL, but...save the message treads.

- Ty

• jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2019 7:20 PM

2questions:
    Are you deleting their message thread when removing people from your friend's list...?  

To be honest, beats me.  I don't delete friends I'm in active communication with.

Tom.

• JDGHOST
    6,770 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2019 8:05 PM

jacktrade51:

This is not a gripe.  I am just providing information for those who are not aware.

There is a 255 person limit on the number of friends one can have if you want to be able to message your friends.  One can have hundreds of friends if one doesn't care about messaging ability.  For club owners, that 255 limit is critical because we have to be able to message.

As the owner of a club with 239 members, this is an ongoing issue for me.  In my 255 friends, figure 2 WGT contacts, 15-20 owners and others I share information with, 35-40 for AS games (not in BD) … that means all our club members cannot be my friends as I type.

I also have to add members for certain community AS or match play tournaments where we have to friend each other to set time to play.

The first time I ran across this, before I was an owner, was when I sent a friends message to an owner.  The response was curt and essentially, "What do you want?"  I didn't get it then but I sure understood it later.

Recently, I got a friends request and accepted it (after deleting someone).  I asked what's up.  I was told just checking to see if you would accept.  Others will not.

There's a reason.  I kept her as a friend for 2 weeks and deleted her.

Tom.

Jack, 

Also just an "fyi" for everyone... anything "Over" 255 also will not appear on your friends list if your looking for someone in particular maybe for an alt shot game or whatever and they became a recent friend and you have say... 300 total friends. They wont show  on your list while on any wgt page....They will however show up on your homepage list with their profile picture.....

JD

• AlaskanDame
    18,958 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2019 12:10 AM

jacktrade51:

2questions:

To be honest, beats me.  I don't delete friends I'm in active communication with.

Tom.

You could though, Tom.  I, for one, would not take it amiss if you deleted me since I would understand the reason why.  Our message threads would still be available for communication.  

That is the way I handle friend requests from unknowns who might be looking to join my club.  I accept the friend request.  Send them a message asking if they are interested.  Then delete them as a friend and wait to see if there is a response to the PM.  This has the extra value of making sure they know how to find PM’s before I let them into the club.

• jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2019 4:56 PM

AKD is supposed to be on vacation and not talking for a while.

But, thank you for the help here, which also answers the question above.

Tom.

• AlaskanDame
    18,958 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2019 2:25 AM

jacktrade51:

AKD is supposed to be on vacation and not talking for a while.

But, thank you for the help here, which also answers the question above.

Tom.

Oh, I am indeed on vacation but only meant in my PM that I would not be posting in the Forum about upcoming Clashes.  There will be an occasional 2 cents on other things.

Cheers!

AKD

• PAGES
RSS