Forums

Help › Forums

Clash 107: footballs. . . AGAIN!

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 8 2019 6:06 PM (46 replies)
  • SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 3:02 AM

High winds in Clash games are probably considered major in WGT, and should be extremely challenging. Only happens every other week, and you still manage to pick on it.

• AlaskanDame
    18,876 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 3:46 AM
    7 rounds: 4 Pinehurst, 2 CB, 1 St. A's. (No Wolf)
  • jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 6:43 AM

HALFBACKFLANK:
    I don't think the people at WGT realise there is more than one type of football either.

Eons (really, like 35 years) ago, ESPN used to show Aussie football at 2 AM my time (US Eastern).  I would sometimes stay up to watch it.  It was lots of fun.

• jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 6:53 AM

Posted before: PH, SA, CB, SA, WC.

Now add: PH, SA, WC, PH, SA

So far, 4 St.A's, 3 PH's, 2 WC's, 1 CB.

I was running errands when we had Chambers so I had the luck of missing it entirely.  Given high winds, that would suit me for the rest of the clash.

As I said above, 1 problem with high winds, especially on higher wind courses, so much is luck of the draw.  The 3 times I've played St. Andrews, I've had winds dead into me on #14 (the par 5).  I had no chance on 2nd shot of crossing the junk in the middle of the fairway twice.  Had I gotten the same wind helping, I would have been on the green (or just over) in 2 without a problem.

Tom.

LATER EDIT TO INCLUDE 9th and 10th matches.

• AlaskanDame
    18,876 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 8:38 AM

jacktrade51:
    1 problem with high winds, especially on higher wind courses, so much is luck of the draw
    That is so true, Tom. When I hold single-play special club tourneys (that have nice prizes), I always make "heavy wind/slow greens" for one of the 4 rounds --- but I use "easy -- or medium -- tees" so that the (bad) luck of the draw does not take someone out of the running completely.

We've now added our 2nd time at St. Andrews --- which I much prefer to Chambers in high winds (except for the exciting chance for eagle on No. 8 CH, which I've managed twice this Clash, lol).

10 rounds: 6 Pinehurst, 2 CB, 2 St. A's. (No Wolf Hunting yet. I guess it's because same-day-airborne hunting of them in Alaska is illegal, and we certainly are airborne today!)

• jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 5:11 PM

BD never uses high winds on high wind courses (SA, RSG, CB, PB) for premium club tournaments.  On occasion when we do, it's for fun on free tournaments.  

More generally, we are about 45% low winds, 45% medium, and 10% high winds.  On green speed, we run about 60% tournament 12, 35% VF10, and 15 % champ 13.  Since we are open to all skill levels, we have to think about the Pro-TM.  But I justify the heavy tournament 12 use since all the upcoming players have to aspire to Legend.

For me personally, with all the AS and match play, not to mention WGT tournaments, I am more than familiar with champ 13 and 14.

I edited above post to incorporate matches 9 and 10.

• jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 7:26 PM

Our 11th match was PH.

So the final total was 4 St.A's, 4 PH's, 2 WC's, 1 CB.

To repeat what I said earlier, high winds (or champ speed on Merion, Oly or CB), really penalize players below TL and clubs who cater to all skill levels.  If I see either any time soon, I will recommend to my club we sit out the entire clash in protest.  It won't slow us from starting when I am asleep at 3:30 AM, but when I tell our members to shut down they will, subject to lag in hearing it.  I have plenty of custom course builders, not to mention tee markers.  We do clashes for fun, not to torture 50% of our members.

I have also been upset forever about the 100 cr xp discount on playing in club clash vs. regular round.

Tom.

P.S.  We are 39,000 xp points from 200 million for BD.  We will hit level 20 next year with our without club clashes.  It might just delay us a few weeks.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 7:30 PM

Agreed, if you boycott, give me a shout,  I'll recommend my team do the same.  

• AlaskanDame
    18,876 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 7:46 PM
    Our 11th match was our first/only round at Wolf Creek. (and I was terrible --- no practice!)

How about adding Championship greens at Erin to your list, Tom? Ugh.
  • jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 7:50 PM

AlaskanDame:
    How about adding Championship greens at Erin to your list, Tom? Ugh.

Not that greedy in preferences.  Also not sure if Cong. or EH or Oakmont is next on no 13 green speeds.  Trying to think like a TM or Master, not like me.  

RSS