Forums

Help › Forums

The players or the equipment are getting too good.

Wed, Sep 11 2019 7:32 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Fri, Aug 30 2019 12:45 PM

How long can WGT keep improving their clubs and balls. It seems every new set is a "slight" improvement on the last, every new ball a little more distance and a slower meter.

The more the equipment improves the lower the scores are getting, 54s and 55s rather than the low 60's of a few years ago but more importantly the closer they are clumping together at the top end.

The qualifying round of the US amateur open had about 90 players separated by 2 shots which is inevitable as birdies slowly become the new par. The better the equipment gets the more this will happen, it just makes it harder to separate the players. 

Top end clubs and balls mean for the most part we are throwing darts at the pins rather than sometimes deciding to to go for the centre of the green when it's a sucker flag, and I think the game loses something because of this.

I understand WGT can't resist selling ever so slightly better clubs every so often but they really should.

I would reduce the forgiveness of all clubsets across the board by maybe 50%, the best clubs would still be the best clubs, the best players would still be the best players but just maybe a par would be good score again, you know like a par should be and perhaps the odd bogie would be something you could recover from as the scores would on average get a bit higher.

Just some thoughts I've been having about the game for a while.

• rl2203
    744 Posts
    Fri, Aug 30 2019 1:10 PM

Agree 100% but one can always try uneven lies or play with starter gear - a few years ago there were even tourneys (Tough it out ??) where the players were restricted to starter gear (and ball!). Par was a great score ...

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Fri, Aug 30 2019 3:37 PM

Jimac55:

How long can WGT keep improving their clubs and balls. It seems every new set is a "slight" improvement on the last, every new ball a little more distance and a slower meter.

The more the equipment improves the lower the scores are getting, 54s and 55s rather than the low 60's of a few years ago but more importantly the closer they are clumping together at the top end.

The qualifying round of the US amateur open had about 90 players separated by 2 shots which is inevitable as birdies slowly become the new par. The better the equipment gets the more this will happen, it just makes it harder to separate the players. 

Top end clubs and balls mean for the most part we are throwing darts at the pins rather than sometimes deciding to to go for the centre of the green when it's a sucker flag, and I think the game loses something because of this.

I understand WGT can't resist selling ever so slightly better clubs every so often but they really should.

I would reduce the forgiveness of all clubsets across the board by maybe 50%, the best clubs would still be the best clubs, the best players would still be the best players but just maybe a par would be good score again, you know like a par should be and perhaps the odd bogie would be something you could recover from as the scores would on average get a bit higher.

I'm fully agree with you...

and the fact all that top clubs, which have a ridiculous amount of payment, considering the environment (virtual),...all for play EVEN lies!, we dont even had to ''figth'' with the field in most of shots, all there is just plane, as how the gameplay becomes then, a bit less punish in the actual Uneven lies and the score whould be more ''realisitc'', ..as the same time the game simulate a bit more about what we are playing here at the end, no one doubt this game has the best graphic environment, ya..looks real...but play..whit an top club combo, as you say: darts

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 2:42 PM

Jimac55:

Top players posting 54s and 55s? LOL what year are you from buddy? Nowadays 54/55 will barely get you in top 15. 52 is the new KING. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 5:57 PM

Actually, in the recent past, most "new" clubs and balls that WGT introduces have the exact same parameters as the ones they removed from the Pro Shop.  There is that new TS2 driver that is definitely an upgrade not available before, but I don't see much really new.

They also reduce levels required occasionally for a club or ball, but with the same parameters.

I doubt WGT would reduce the parameters of clubs or balls in the Pro Shop, since they would have to also reduce the performance of all existing clubs and balls in our bags to match.

I think some players are getting better because they are just that good and of course some are building on things learned by other players before them (I try to do that!).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 6:04 PM

DoctorLarry:
    I doubt WGT would reduce the parameters of clubs or balls in the Pro Shop, since they would have to also reduce the performance of all existing clubs and balls in our bags to match.

Sure would be fun to see it happen though. LOL

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 5:19 AM

Ever watch the top professionals in any sport? They are stronger, faster, smarter than ever before. For many years the four minute mile was considered an impossible dream. Bruce Jenner (pre-Caitlyn) once held the decathlon world record at 8618. Kevin Mayer of France has taken that record to 9126.

As WGT ages the top players will continue to evolve. It is human nature. Add in real money rewards and the competition will grow and improve exponentially. So will the demand for better equipment. How low can they go? Only time will tell.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 12:42 PM

HackWilson1930:
    As WGT ages the top players will continue to evolve. It is human nature. Add in real money rewards and the competition will grow and improve exponentially. So will the demand for better equipment. How low can they go? Only time will tell.

I was a fan of "stock-car racing" when I was young, but that totally faded when the cars became so far from stock that it was ridiculous.  The horsepower wars raged until NASCAR came out with restrictor plates and other tourniquets to stop that progression.  Might WGT "throttle" the equipment?

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Sep 11 2019 7:03 AM

IMO, there's no incentive for them to tone down the equipment.

People will pay for upgraded things, not only on here but every day in every facet of life.  Wonder how many Ts2 drivers they sold.  How many iPhone 11's is Apple going to sell.

That's not a knock on WGT; they're smart to release things they think/know people will buy.

But the equipment performance levels are all relative with who is using them.  If they actually toned down the specs of the clubs and balls all that would happen is the leader boards would change relative to the club performance change.  i.e.  fmags might shoot 60, but then I'd come along and shoot 65 etc etc.

In the end we'll just end up in the same spot asking them to throttle the equipment more because 60 is now the new 52. 

• PAGES
RSS