Forums

Help › Forums

Average Score Calculation

Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:08 AM (21 replies)
  • cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:18 PM

The true enjoyment in this game comes from getting better, and meeting and competing against many of the great people on this site.  And what does it really mean to be a Master anyway?  I'll tell you this, it means you can sometimes shoot a 32 in the weekly unlimited 9 holer and still have 200 players ahead of you on the leaderboard!  But shooting a 32 is pretty darn satisfying in itself, isn't it?  That's a whole lot of good shots.  If satisfaction is a birdie on every hole, I know need to look for my jollies elsewhere.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:58 PM

Well Mr. Felton, I think we agree upon the origins of enjoyment regarding this game of ours. My definition of Master is one who posts every single score and obtains and maintains a score average of 66 or less while continuing to do so.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 5:52 PM

That in my opinion, would be Legends status..

I try to turn all mine in  and hoover between 73  and 68..I cant really play with about 1/3 to half the masters...thats ok..im slowly seeing improvment in my game...the scores dont always show it...but im making more 20' for par now...chipping better and hitting more greens...the scores will eventually drop...good luck on your quest

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:43 PM

The "Legend" tier sounds spooky to me by definition. I want no part of it. I want to live.

(:>))

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:10 PM

There are "living legends".    Leonard Cohen will be giving a concert in my city soon, he's one such (although he apparently suffered a stroke on stage a few weeks ago).

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:32 PM

Faterson:

There are "living legends".  Leonard Cohen will be giving a concert in my city soon, he's one such (although he apparently suffered a stroke on stage a few weeks ago).

"Forums - Welcome to WGT - Community Help - Average Score Calculation - Leonard Cohen!?"

Faterson?  Can we please stay somewhere close to the topic at hand?  That comment was so far out in left field that it's gonna have to catch a bus to get back to the ballpark.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:36 PM

The comment was a direct reaction to the one above it, so just calm down & breathe deeply.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:06 AM

SweetiePie:

The "Legend" tier sounds spooky to me by definition. I want no part of it. I want to live.

(:>))

I think "legends" would be a little... could we say , too superfluous for a name to describe the best gamers on this site ... champions would seem to me to be a more accurately descriptive title and an excellent superlative to be employed in discriminating between those of us that are only proficient to a small degree and those who are at an elite level of play ... agreed? Disagreed anyone ... ???

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:22 AM

donsprintr:
    Disagreed anyone ... ???

Always ready to step up to the plate to do that.    I believe 4 tiers are enough. The mistake probably was, that it used to be too easy (before August or so) to advance to the Master tier, and the mistake continues to be that it's possible to manipulate one's average score (by quitting every bad round) and so advance to the Master tier before one has the necessary skills. This could perhaps be resolved by WGT by redefining the Master tier; this game is only at the Beta stage, after all.

I'm afraid that setting up an additional tier might lead to excessive fragmentation and segregation of this site's users. And in addition to the dozens of repetitive forum threads asking "What does it take to get to the Master tier?", we'd also get dozens more threads asking, "What does it take to get to the Legend tier?", month after month. There would be no end to it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:48 AM

Pardon my ignorance here but would it be possible to update the golfer stats after every hole instead of waiting for the final putt? I'm trying to think of what might get in the way of that and all I can really come up with is maybe the slight lag it would cause between holes while data was transmitted.

I'm sure there's a myriad of things I'm not seeing but I'm not a programmer. I think it would radically change the whole average/sandbagging/quitting thing and really make it interesting.

YJ

The Evil Empire has successfully purchased another title. Ya-friggin-hoo (and our exact infield and 2 aces are going to be together for the next 5 years-I say $ well spent.)  For all you Yankee-haters...............

RSS