Forums

Help › Forums

Average Score Calculation

Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:08 AM (21 replies)
  • joma1108
    42 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:49 AM

Hi all, I was hoping for some info, i am trying desperately to get to master level and was wondering how ave is calculated, i read somewhere that it is your last 14 rounds or something like that,

I am currently 69.21 which was achieved posting a 2 under and moved from 69.61

Basically what i am asking is the threshold 67 i.e 5 under on Kiawah and 3 under on Bethpage or is it 3 under irrespective of course?

Just need to know whetehr to attack pins at that or play safe, strategy eh!!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 6:06 AM

I think the current Master threshold is 66 or lower, and I don't think it's tied to any specific course. It's a weighted average of your most recent 14 rounds, giving more weight to your very last few rounds.

• joma1108
    42 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 6:43 AM

Thanks Faterson,

When you say this is a weghted average do you mean its weighted against each course, as if i shot 67 on BP it is very different from shooting 67 on K I

Reason i am asking is that if i am 3 under on BP (which is 67) do i need to keep pars and would achieve master eventually or do i need to go for birdies and risk bogeys to lose my chance.

also that woul mean sticking to BP as would technically be easier to shoot 3 under there than 5 under on KI

Confused i am now!?!?!?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 7:09 AM

joma-I made master back when it was a bit easier. I think it was based on average like you're thinking but I'm not sure. I just woke up one day a master. I used to shoot 31-32 at BPB pretty regular from the white tees and I think that's what got me there.

Over the summer it got considerably harder to get to master after one of the updates. What I think happened, and this is only a guess, is that WGT decided to factor in more than just the weighted average of a number of rounds. Like maybe tournaments entered, score history or any of a bunch of possibilities. Sandbagging scores to keep the average at a certain point was a consideration so I think they realized this and can tell from their data on a golfer what is going on. (Doing something about that is not the topic here.)

Trying to force your tier status by playing to a specific score might be the wrong way to go about it. Enter the tournaments and score well; play scored rounds and post them; practice your rear off!

When you do make master be prepared-the game changes considerably from the blue tees.  GL

YJ

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 9:22 AM

joma1108:
    When you say this is a weghted average do you mean its weighted against each course, as if i shot 67 on BP it is very different from shooting 67 on K I

I don't think it's that kind of a weighted average, but YankeeJim really said all that needs to be said on this topic. It's no good trying to "force" one's way into the Master tier. You'll be naturally upgraded to that tier when your play and results indicate that you're ready to advance there.

• joma1108
    42 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 9:59 AM

EH?? What sort of comment is that!

"its no good trying to force your way onto the master tier You'll be naturally upgraded to that tier when your play and results indicate that you're ready to advance there"

Of course i am trying to force my way onto the master tier, i didnt realise it was invite only or eliteist.....

My question relates to what consistency i would need to reach to achieve the master status and if that is forcing my way then so be it.

I am sure that the masters who are already in that bracket forced their way to that level

anyway thanks for bot Yankee Jim and Faterson for their replies greatly appreciated and hope to see you in the master level sooner rather than later

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:06 AM

joma1108:
    Of course i am trying to force my way onto the master tier, i didnt realise it was invite only or eliteist.....

You misunderstand. It's possible to lower one's average score artificially, for example by playing the easiest 9 holes more frequently than others, by only recording your good rounds and quitting your bad rounds, etc. In fact, there are no doubt Master players on this site who only became Masters thanks to employing this tactics. That can be considered "forcing one's way" into the Master tier unnaturally.

PS: You'll only meet YankeeJim on the Master level; I'm just a Pro. My average score used to be at around 67.8x back in those days when we had the August All Ladies tournament, but I recognized back then that wasn't a true reflection of my skills in this game.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:40 PM

Listen to Jim and Faterson.  Its important to understand how the system works so you don't get caught up in artificially advancing to any tier before you are ready (The reverse of sandbagging).  It is easy for the ego to get caught up in that.

I agree, always play your best and post all your scores, even the bad ones.  if you do that, you'll play in the tier that is best for you.  Then, if and when you advance to Master, you'll be ready to play in that pressure cooker with the best gamers in the world (IMO), and these guys are really good.  And yes, it is a much harder game from the Blue tees.    

To answer your question, I made Master at around 65.7 mid/late Sept.  Like pointed out above, it was probably easier to get your average lower then.  Playing the BPB (Par 70) lowered my scoring average more than playing K (Par 72) with similar scores.

Joey

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:23 PM

Hi Joma! By all means, listen to the sound advise that has been given. The game is such,  that most of us are in for the long term. That being the case, the optimum of enjoyment one can receive from the game is by savoring each tier slowly and completely. If you do so by simply posting all scores, the good, bad and ugly, you will advance naturally and develop a sound, well rounded game along the way, that will allow you to be ready for action, right off the bat when the advancement takes place. It is the journey, not the destination that provides the pleasure...That is my viewpoint. Being ranked a Master has nothing in common with playing like one. Our top Master Players are not fooled or intimidated by ANY shot. It's a simple fact of life. ~SP~  

• joma1108
    42 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:08 AM

Good sound advice from all and thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am posting all scores good bad and ugly and boy are there some ugly ones.

my main reason for asking was to find out the level of consistency required to achieve the master level which i gues is around the 30 - 32 mark which i am about 2-3 shots off now.

what i didnt want was to have to attack a pin i dont need to, this is exactly how pros play in PGA and Euro Tour.

i would guess that TW would play a percentage shot to a difficult pin on 18 if he was 1 shot ahead and would play a very risky shot if he was one shot behind which could net him the title, and that is the focus of my question.

I take on board what you say about shots intimidating you however that is not in question no shot really is that bad that i wont take it on 'if i have to' sometimes playing the percentages is not a bad thing.

anyway i will keep plugging away and see what happens, again thanks all for the advice.

RSS