Forums

Help › Forums

** Virtual U.S. Amateur: The Final Four is Set! ***

Mon, Sep 9 2019 8:31 PM (43 replies)
  • birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 10:47 AM

To compute and to calculate literally being synonyms should be a clue imo. 

I get the restriction for live events and am in favor of it (because it makes for a better viewing experience), but the big monthly discussion about spreadsheets seems silly to me.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 11:12 AM

Yiannis1970:
    Are you supporting the first or the second version of rules? Which of the two reasons cover your sense of logic on playing an online game?

Lol Yiannis; I'd like the first but settle for the second.  However, as Young said, this is run only by WGT not Dreamhack. I doubt if even the rule of keeping the "computer is reserved for the game, client and nothing else" will stay.  I did like the nice clean screens.

I'm not sure if I got the wrong impression but, it looked like the player hitting the second approach could look at what the other person hit and how.  Was that the case?

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 11:14 AM

Yiannis1970:

Are you supporting the first or the second version of rules? Which of the two reasons cover your sense of logic on playing an online game?

I have already expressed my opinion, so no reason to repeat myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b66E2v8OeU&t=176m44s

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 11:35 AM

kavvz:

Yiannis1970:

I have already expressed my opinion, so no reason to repeat myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b66E2v8OeU&t=176m44s

Yeah my dear troll...i should be playing by my head meanwhile all the others were using the calculator!!!

Good shot, good shot... hopefully not OBS much. For the story i was calculating my putt there!!! Keep trolling!!

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 11:51 AM

By all means use that calculator, but perhaps try practicing what you preach.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 11:55 AM
    I do my dear troll, i only calculate my putts...can i do that? Or is the same with anything else?
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 12:07 PM

DodgyPutter:

re if I got the wrong impression but, it looked like the player hitting the second approach could look at what the other person hit and how.  Was that the case?

That's right. There was a big display and we could see the strokes but to tell you the truth, i have never got a peak...It was unavoidable though not to mention the big screen. No big deal.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 12:42 PM

Yiannis1970:
    That's right. There was a big display and we could see the strokes but to tell you the truth, i have never got a peak...It was unavoidable though not to mention the big screen. No big deal.

Maybe not but it seems a bit unfair and if possible would  perhaps be best avoided in this.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 12:46 PM

kavvz:

By all means use that calculator, but perhaps try practicing what you preach.

He would have liked it if calculators hadn't been allowed but it was decided they were, somehow you think that means he should have put himself at a disadvantge by not using one? 

I think I need to see the spreadsheet on that one ;-)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 1:07 PM

For someone who's that much a no tools advocate, I was surprised the choice was made to sully this beautiful game like that -- especially while being broadcast online.  I mean, that's not the way the game was intended to be played I thought.  Unless of course, it's beneficial.  

Why would your opponent using a calculator change you though?  Be pure, feeeeeel the shot.  Stick to your guns!   

Why is calculating a putt ok, but calculating a shot isn't?  Odd one there.

Not saying don't calculate your putts.  I'm saying don't harp on people for calculating other things.  

RSS