Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual U.S Amateur @ Topgolf Las Vegas

Wed, Aug 28 2019 6:35 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 8:58 AM

"It’s now time for WGT to fix this issue which has been around for quite a few years, you can’t have the finalists in Las Vegas play from that tee box as it would be very embarrassing for WGT especially with USGA people in attendance and watching online"

A suggestion? Sounds a bit stronger to me.

But I know that it won't happen and see no reason that it should. Enough said.

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 9:16 AM
    HackWilson1930:

"It’s now time for WGT to fix this issue which has been around for quite a few years, you can’t have the finalists in Las Vegas play from that tee box as it would be very embarrassing for WGT especially with USGA people in attendance and watching online"

A suggestion? Sounds a bit stronger to me.

But I know that it won't happen and see no reason that it should. Enough said.

come on now, how could it be more than a suggestion, im only little old me, all i can do is suggest things, not much more :)
  • el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 9:33 AM

#Marty

Just curious... when you consider the USGA has taken a lot of heat over the last few years, especially regarding the US Open... they tend to make the courses HARDER not easier.

The US Amatuer on Pinehurst was no cakewalk either and when the US Open was held there in what 2005 the winning score was around par after 4 rounds wasn't it.  

People on WGT tend to quit rounds if they make bogey let alone a double bogey... 

If anything, I would suspect those at Pinehurst and the USGA would prefer to see the variance and difficulty increased, not made easier … the best players are striving for near perfect rounds... not trying to get through 18 holes shooting par and feeling they played well.

I understand your frustration or beef with the issue but I can definitely see it from another angle.  Not arguing or debating with you, just suggesting there may be another way to look at it. 

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 9:56 AM
    el3n1:

#Marty

Just curious... when you consider the USGA has taken a lot of heat over the last few years, especially regarding the US Open... they tend to make the courses HARDER not easier.

The US Amatuer on Pinehurst was no cakewalk either and when the US Open was held there in what 2005 the winning score was around par after 4 rounds wasn't it.  

People on WGT tend to quit rounds if they make bogey let alone a double bogey... 

If anything, I would suspect those at Pinehurst and the USGA would prefer to see the variance and difficulty increased, not made easier … the best players are striving for near perfect rounds... not trying to get through 18 holes shooting par and feeling they played well.

I understand your frustration or beef with the issue but I can definitely see it from another angle.  Not arguing or debating with you, just suggesting there may be another way to look at it. 

I understand what your saying
  • MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Sat, Aug 24 2019 3:14 PM
    el3n1:

on the subject of quiting rounds, i never do it, i need ranked rounds to move up to the next tier so i always finish what i start, just finished an uneven RG @ Pebble beach low wind and fast greens and shot a 73, must be one of the worst rounds i have played, embarrassing to tell the truth, im not sure i have ever shot over 70 in high wind uneven lies, I would rather championship greens than fast greens to be truthful, so embarrassing, its not that hard to play a round under par
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Aug 27 2019 9:06 AM

It really doesn't matter what lengths the holes are b/c everyone has to play them the same number of times and at the same length.  

It could be an 800 yard par 3 -- doesn't matter.  They all play it that way.  

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Tue, Aug 27 2019 12:49 PM
    kavvz:

It really doesn't matter what lengths the holes are b/c everyone has to play them the same number of times and at the same length.  

It could be an 800 yard par 3 -- doesn't matter.  They all play it that way.  

ok, i guess I'm alone in this one, thanks anyway for your thoughts

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Tue, Aug 27 2019 3:01 PM
    If you reduce the length for this hole, then what about Chambers #1? Both are ridiculously long and hard for a par 4.
  • MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Wed, Aug 28 2019 6:35 AM

fobby1980:
    If you reduce the length for this hole, then what about Chambers #1? Both are ridiculously long and hard for a par 4.

thats another mess up by WGT, they are good at making the odd mistake :)

• PAGES
    RSS