Help › Forums

sometimes it stops being fun

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 30 2020 11:11 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 4:49 PM

I was told by a  friend ,(who is pretty good at this game,) when I just been playing for a few months, that one can progress in this game to a point that you must shoot your average or better just to be competitive. once that point is reached you run the risk of the game losing it's appeal or to put it another way--stop being fun. I am only a Master but have reached the point where i question whether I can improve  with/without "newer and better" clubs and balls,etc..  The game is becoming as frustrating as the "real" game because I'm  automatically "promoted" in tiers just for playing.  I'm not having fun anymore. I'm not really at "master" level in my game but feel the pressure to "make my avg" when I play. Like I said in my profile--"the game was more fun as a hack".  Don t know how many out there feel this way----guess we'll see.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 5:11 PM

I have many friends. I don't know anyone having fun here anymore. The tech crew at WGT have been busy little beavers tweeking this, fiddling with that, and having fun screwing up the game to receive a paycheck and remain employed. They don't play here or even real life golf. They are the only people having any fun. I would look to the top and ask what the goal is. The game is a mess and most players are unhappy with it. It has slowly creeped into a self-centered notion that would reveal an uncaring devotion to not caring about anything but self, which won't work in a longer run. A shake up is in order with a view to the reality of a handshake between Management and customer.

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 5:29 PM

I still enjoy it but i've not been here as long as SweetiePie,  I take the game for what it is, hope for the best but expect the worst and laugh in the face of adversity i am English after all.

I think your right Tweaking and fiddling with this and that has made the game a money making monster, but thats what we have, we can stop playing but you have to agree we would miss it so we play thats all we can do.

Lucky

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 5:39 PM

I'm quite happy in that I'm aware of the shortcomings and glitches in the game, and take those precautions that I believe will mitigate the effects of these.

I still greatly enjoy the competitive aspects of the game, and as a legend do not have to care about things like averages and stats. My main activity is Matchplay Challenge, and this earns me enough to keep me in balls, and buy any new clubs that become available.

After 2 years I can't see myself stopping, the pressure of head-to-head competition and the thrill of victory keep me looking forward to the next victim challenge.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 5:40 PM

I get frustrated with this game every day, or should that be I get frustrated with myself everyday whilst playing this game? I also still get a huge amount of enjoyment from the game despite playing more rounds on my own than with other players.

I don't like the leveling system, designed to get as much cash out of players in club sales.

I don't like the price of Callaway balls, utterly ridiculous, particularly when you have an imperfect product that can see one disappear through no fault of your own.

I don't like how new players seem able to shoot ridiculous scores within weeks.

I do like the new courses.

I do still like the old courses.

I really like the people I have met through this game.

I think there is a great community spirit, plenty of players only too happy to assist others with advice and gifting.

I love that fact that certain people on here go out of their way to organise tournaments for the benefit of all, taking up a huge amount of their time for little reward.

I love the fact I can skype whilst playing with people anywhere in the world, making new friends, albeit cyber ones.

Like anything in life there is good and bad or good and not so good. This game and the community borne from it has far more good points than bad, which is why I'm still playing it everyday and still able to get great pleasure from it.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 6:42 PM

tiffer67:
    Like anything in life there is good and bad or good and not so good. This game and the community borne from it has far more good points than bad, which is why I'm still playing it everyday and still able to get great pleasure from it.

WELL SAID!!!!

• chasfly
    388 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 7:37 PM

I agree with just about everything you've posed.  Putts that should have dropped, approach shots hit on the dinger that are nowhere near the target, drives that appear to be safe, but end up in the rough or a bunker, approach shots hit with enough club to reach the target, but end up way short.  This week's been particularly bad for me, making me wonder if I should continue.  I've also had some weeks I've been dancing on air.

But I also agree with Jeff.  I can't play in real life at the level I've reached at WGT.  Yes, it's a money machine, but by the same token, I can perform in a way I could never do in real life.

Six of one, half dozen of another.  To each his/her own...

Chas~

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 8:24 PM

Don't worry about averages. That's where frustration starts. One bad shot on the 7th/8th hole of a 9 and you are hating the game because a below par round is going to be another par round.

The fun comes in friendly games. It doesn't come in losing matchplays for credits, or flunking another RG for 50 credits credit back.

Friendly matchplays, Blitz and especially Alt Shot (when WGT servers allow) are the way to go.

If you want a competitive edge find a good country club with a generous owner and some generous players that offer prizes. Or even one that has small credit comps.

I echo the comments about the game being cash driven now. Problem is there are many legends and Tour Masters with all the gear. They are not spending anymore. Thus WGT have to tax them on high ball prices.

I don't like how WGT takes a cut on the RGs and especially Country Club credit tournaments. Like many CCs I only offer up prizes now. It costs me, but my members shouldn't get shaken for a cut of the pot. Especially if they are buying balls.

Lots of tweaks and touches. I am playing fine, even very well. But lost balls in stuff like CTTH and Blitz is a bit much TBH.

Lots of very great people on the site. And lots of good players willing to play against lower tier players and give tips.

If it is not fun, you are not making it so, despite the frustrations. If you are losing balls, putting badly, can't chip for toffee, try to evaluate why. Ask in the forums. Play a legend or Tour Master. Play me or Yankee Jim or any number of others and ask for tips.

The best advice I can give. if you are really in a rut, is take a break. A day, a week a month even.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 10:09 PM

my view,  loved playing as a hack, all new to me. made amature, now worried about my "average".  to pro, gotta buy new clubs, very exciting again, now competative.  to tour pro, wangled my wife into shoping the pro store, in lieu of "real" presents.  got better clubs, balls and clothes. everything fit, was cheaper than real life, no returns, never left home.  i'm a happy man.  can beat masters, sometomes tour masters.  could've been happy for a long time, and was!  then the reshuffle, MASTER!, horrors! average jumped to 75 in 8 games!  need new clubs again, better balls, still only just competative.  QUIT, never! haven't reached the end yet!  new courses, new ways to play, better equipment,  more nice people, (and some horried ones), life can be good at these prices.  my nights out were $50 and up as a drinker.  now stay home play video golf, for pennies a day.  what more? hmmm, dancing girls and a nineteenth hole where we can go and rehash the day, sure, sounds good, count me in.....my nickel's worth.

• swdeva
    238 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2011 11:05 PM

I have been play here for almost 3 years and am having alot of fun every day I sign in. Sure their are up's and down's ,frustrations, good days bad days, but is'nt that what you get when playing real golf?...Yep!. So what's the big deal!.

In my opinion WGT is the most realistic online golf game... period!. If it wasn't why is the forum so busy with this and that.  Great work WGT.

• PAGES
RSS