Forums

Help › Forums

PRECISION FORGIVENESS BALANCE METER SPEED

Tue, Dec 20 2022 10:53 PM (42 replies)
  • JDionne1
    121 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 12:40 PM

What does everyone base their putter purchase on from the following catargories?

PRECISION

FORGIVENESS

BALANCE

METER SPEED

I currently have a Level 70 odyssey VERSA and have been told never to part with it but was not sure if something better was available.  Replies Helpful

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 2:27 PM

JDionne1:

What does everyone base their putter purchase on from the following catargories?

PRECISION

FORGIVENESS

BALANCE

METER SPEED

I currently have a Level 70 odyssey VERSA and have been told never to part with it but was not sure if something better was available.  Replies Helpful

You have to decide for yourself what is most important until you get to the top levels where you can "have it all"!

Meter speed is very important to my tired eyes and reflexes and forgiveness also helps with unintentional misdings.  Precision and balance were not so important when I could not hit a ding!!

At this point I am maximizing them all.  I also spaced out my club purchases - waiting to get much better clubs at later levels rather than getting incrementally better clubs at a greater cumulative cost in credits.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 2:29 PM

JDionne1:
    BALANCE

This is what keeps the putt from wandering off line. I went from the higher level Versa (not available anymore) to the 101 Method I have now because of the balance increase and it was immediately noticeable. 

The Method was replaced by the 101 Spider and has the same specs.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 3:31 PM

JDionne1:

As I progressed, I watched a number of top players who each played a variety of different putters ranging from lower level to mid range to the highest level available... so it appeared high level play could be accomplished with about any range of putter.  

It was researching putting methods, ding putting, off ding putting, green reading, etc... and not putters themselves that I found to be more helpful... the challenge was matching my preferred putting speed with those methods recommended.

Beyond that... when I did finally consider upgrading... there was a very specific type of putt that led me to consider a higher end putter and that was because my putter at that time was based on 15 30 etc scales... and I wanted a higher end putter with 10 20 type scales that would allow me to hit slippery down hill putts at the desired speed without fear it would get away from me and risk the dreaded 3 putt.

To my knowledge and from what I have observed... you won't necessarily improve your putting stats if you don't learn how to make those putts you are missing.  If you are not seeing a good line now, then a better putter is not going to improve your green reading ability...

on the other hand if you are constantly putting pressure on yourself to make 15 -20 footers then maybe looking at your approach shots rather than a putter would help give you more reasonable looks at birdie.  It is just hard to tell exactly but something to think about. 

Just a few things I considered and read about.... 

• JDionne1
    121 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 4:09 PM

WOW, Great advice, thanks

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 5:01 PM

YankeeJim:

JDionne1:
    BALANCE

This is what keeps the putt from wandering off line.

Don't think so Jim. Somewhere in here, WGT have stated that balance is a parameter that links the precision of the putter (accuracy of direction) to accuracy of length. So a high precision, low balance putter would have a narrow but long spread of results. A high precision, high balance putter would give a more circular spread.

Obviously no putter parameter will affect the ball after you've hit it, so the reason for your observation is more likely to be down to the increased accuracy of length meaning your correctly aimed and powered putts are less likely to dribble short and low or scoot past on the high side.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2019 5:09 AM

fmagnets:
    the reason for your observation is more likely to be down to the increased accuracy of length meaning your correctly aimed and powered putts are less likely to dribble short and low or scoot past on the high side.

I have seen the difference firsthand and I liken it to putting with a balsa wood putter versus a machined and balanced putter. With the wood putter you would have to overcome the ball deflecting off the face of the putter by having a strong grip on it with stiff arms. You virtually would have to power through the swing.

OTOH, with a balanced, machined putter the swing arc is weighted and true and all you have to do is hang on. I think the balance spec replicates this.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2019 6:11 AM

fmagnets:
    Don't think so Jim. Somewhere in here, WGT have stated that balance is a parameter that links the precision of the putter (accuracy of direction) to accuracy of length. So a high precision, low balance putter would have a narrow but long spread of results. A high precision, high balance putter would give a more circular spread.

Maybe this?

1,788 Posts
    04-30-2010 1:34 AM

Hi Pebbles,

Balance works with the putter's precision rating and represents consistency throughout the different distance increments of your putter.  The higher the balance rating, the more you can rely on the ball consistently going the distance you've struck your putt, especially so on longer putts.  Balance also works with forgiveness in a very similar manner to help reign in the effect of off-center hits, also making them react more consistently on longer putts.

Hope that answers your question. =)

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2019 7:08 AM

DodgyPutter:

Maybe this?

Yes, that's the one.

I thought I might be able to spare us all Jim's balsa wood putter analogy by explaining to him what Balance in WGT actually is, but I see I have failed. I can only apologise to the community :-)

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2019 7:41 AM

The balsa putter would pair perfectly with the 14th century beech ball.

RSS