Forums

Help › Forums

Mapping Punch Shots

Sat, Jul 6 2019 10:58 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • budfan4861
    183 Posts
    Thu, Jul 4 2019 3:39 PM

Looking for some help here. I want to map some punch shots from off the fairway. I've never mapped punch shots before but have decided to do it. Can anyone suggest a fairway that would work for that. I've thought about #1 at Kiawah but I don't know. I not so much concerned with fairway to green, but rather just getting an idea of carry and rollout in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Thu, Jul 4 2019 4:51 PM

# 1 at Kiawah is a popular spot, but I would suggest starting there then using other spots with a greater slope also. 

When I did mine I start at Kiawah #1, then used #1 at Merion as it has a big uphil slope, and the first par 5 on Pinehurst with its sever dome.  I also used many greens on ChambersBay to proof the results.

Since that time we have aquired Erin HIlls and Wolf Creek. Both of these courses have many varied greens which are all going to be a learning curve for punch and pitch shots.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Jul 4 2019 6:00 PM

budfan4861:

Looking for some help here. I want to map some punch shots from off the fairway. I've never mapped punch shots before but have decided to do it. Can anyone suggest a fairway that would work for that. I've thought about #1 at Kiawah but I don't know. I not so much concerned with fairway to green, but rather just getting an idea of carry and rollout in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kiawah #1 is a good place to do that, but there is already a great table around here somewhere that already has mapped the Cleveland 64 wedge with full BS from 50% to 100% power (18 yds to 48 yds).  I can not find it at the moment - I think I found a link to it in a Young46 youtube video - maybe.  It is perfect for putting the gall on the hole when you get within 50 yards most anywhere.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 4 2019 6:17 PM

BPB #4. Plenty of flat green to work with and you can get under 50 yards out in the fairway very easily. I use the punch shot extensively and will tell you your 64w with full back spin and your ball will stop and hop.

If you use the little blue ruler above the left end of the meter, the rightmost end of it is 39 yards with full back spin. That should make those increments easy to map.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Jul 4 2019 6:21 PM

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Jul 4 2019 8:54 PM

Robert1893:

For the mapping of the 50-yard punch, see the link in the first post of this thread:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/403805/2786352.aspx#2786352

Thanks Robert.  I saved it this time!  It is deadly in the right spots.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Jul 4 2019 8:57 PM

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2019 1:07 AM
    Robert1893:

@DoctorLarry

That's the only WGT spreadsheet I use. And I use it on a regular basis.  

It is even very accurate from bunkers too.
  • Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2019 9:24 AM

DoctorLarry:

Robert1893:

For the mapping of the 50-yard punch, see the link in the first post of this thread:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/403805/2786352.aspx#2786352

Thanks Robert.  I saved it this time!  It is deadly in the right spots.

Hi,

Jo (WaLk0fLiFe) will tell you himself that if you just wanna get it close then the FBS 50 Punch is the way to go but you'll rarely hole out with FBS.

To increase your chances of hole outs then hit The 50 Punch flat but be careful on a handful of holes with drop offs behind & to the side of the pin.

Ken

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2019 11:26 AM

Robert1893:
    That's the only WGT spreadsheet I use. And I use it on a regular basis.  

WHAT?  you are suppose to be a feel player... : )  

deadly accurate wedge play can save a lot of strokes though.  Coming across the chart prompted me to consider adding the Cleveland wedge, but since it has a faster meter speed my ding rate drops and the accuracy falls off with it as well... but am sure it is well worth having handy!  

• PAGES
RSS