Forums

Help › Forums

Backspin

Sun, Jul 14 2019 5:30 PM (7 replies)
  • jarikuri
    46 Posts
    Tue, May 7 2019 7:58 AM

Hi guys,

hope anyone can deal with me his experiences with using spin and adding or subtracting right yardages. I'm back after longer break, upgraded my irons and balls etc...suddenly I'm fighting with spins..once too short and other time way too long..

I play with R11 irons and use balls TP5x (L81+) with distance 5 and spin 4. Can anyone write what he normally adds/subtracts with playing spin with face or tailwind?  

Million thanks in advance fellas

Jari

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Tue, May 7 2019 9:57 AM

If you use fbs on the longer irons, try adding 5 yards to distance calc.  Only full back spin, not any other % of spin.

That number works most courses, except Wolf Creek.  I find there mostly adding 7-9 yards depending on hole into a wind.

You need to play around with distance with that ball a club combo when using fbs.  The shorter irons in that set tend to play closer to correct when using fbs.

You won't stop the longer irons, you have to play rollout also, and that will change depending on landing.

EDIT... nevermind most of the above, that applies to the RS2 irons, I thought you had those.  Never played the first RS irons with that ball combo, or the nike the TP replaced.  This is from menory, try using the level 34 cally and they play pretty close to calculated distance.

• DufferJohn7
    3,561 Posts
    Tue, May 7 2019 10:39 AM

The only way to really know your club/ball combination distances with/without backspin is to set uo a practice round and use up a sleeve of balls. Use the mulligan feature to hit and map shots from tees, fairways, rough etc. Then make a simple chart for yourself. This can be as simple or as detailed as you like.

When you're finished with all that then start to factor in and fine tune your wind corrections.

Have fun and hit 'em straight,

John

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Tue, May 7 2019 6:19 PM

DufferJohn7:

The only way to really know your club/ball combination distances with/without backspin is to set uo a practice round and use up a sleeve of balls. Use the mulligan feature to hit and map shots from tees, fairways, rough etc. Then make a simple chart for yourself. This can be as simple or as detailed as you like.

When you're finished with all that then start to factor in and fine tune your wind corrections.

John

Do this mapping first with as little wind as possible.

Then you will have to work out distances for the effect of wind and spin also.  Basically, with a tailwind, BS will make the ball fly further before hitting.  Top spin will fly less in all cases.

With a headwind, you may still get more carry with BS, but not near as much (as found from the earlier mapping).

I also find that full spin either way reduces the amount of side drift due to cross winds.  In my case, I found that the side drift for a full topspin or full backspin was about 80% of that for no spin.

It takes a bit of practice and also recording what happens during play (notes) to work this out.

• jarikuri
    46 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 9:27 AM

Thanks guys for your advices.

Good luck around.

Gr, Jari

• BaggerPantz
    55 Posts
    Thu, Jul 11 2019 3:01 PM

Not sure if you’re only asking about carry, but the slope of the green you’re hitting into has a huge impact on roll.  Most greens have 2 feet of elevation change front to back.  More than that and you’ll see the ball back up.  Less than that and you’ll see more roll.

• BOZskills
    388 Posts
    Sat, Jul 13 2019 5:19 PM

+1,DJ

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Jul 14 2019 5:30 PM

DufferJohn7:

John

+1

RSS