Help › Forums

Wind strengths and distance chart...

Sat, Jan 13 2024 8:29 PM (124 replies)
  • BeachedMulligan
    1,238 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2012 12:42 PM

MBaggese:

Wrong account?...lol

Def wrong account. First post and hes responding to another one of his posts from another account. ha.

MBaggese:

All in response to the above ...and your only friend:)

^dunno what your saying here.

BM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:00 PM

BeachedMulligan:

MBaggese:

All in response to the above ...and your only friend:)

^dunno what your saying here.

BM

He's talking to the other 2 (1) and was pointing out what they responded to. Took me a minute to figure that out.

Need a scorecard here.  :-D

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:18 PM

Exactly...BM...both replied to your post in the "same person" context..."they" have seem to become quiet now.

• zzturk
    150 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:33 AM

I'm guessing that "meter tape" is slang for painstakingly printing meter increments onto a piece of tape to be placed on one's monitor (like a putter pal) but used for ALL clubs, from driver through wedges.

As for putting percentages, I read (and tweaked) a forum math set that held slow = 1.25 x, standard = 1.15 x, fast = x, Very Fast = 0.85 x,  and tournament greens = 0.75 x with x being the net distance of feet + or - inches uphill/downhill, but on slightly uphill putts, add at least one extra foot because you are fighting gravity.

The tweak I added is that on long downhill putts upto about 6 inches declination, subtract an additional foot for every 15 (Ex. 109 footer I made was downhill 5 inches. So the net was 104 which, at tournament speeds meant 0.75 times 104 =76, but 109/15 =7+ so I removed an additional 7 and putt the ball 69 foot strength, and you can view the replay on my profile page - it just kept going and going and never looked like it would get there ... but it did. The aim was (of course) dumb luck, but an experienced aim, nonetheless.

But that tweak doesn't exactly work for uphill putts, which I have yet to find a consistent formula by which to hit the correct distances on the dot, no pun intended.

If you find "the" tweak, please post it here as a reply (TY). 

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:48 AM

Just take an educated guess and smack it. This game is here to have fun not to study math. Most of us will never be as good as the top players on here for a variety of reasons. Some of you are making it too difficult as whatever your calculation the deviation and VEM will alter each shot anyway. Who's with me?

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:22 AM

I use the 60% rule, plus 'experience'. a pure headwind of 10 mph = .6x distance (100 yards, add 6 yards).  Using a clock face, 12 = headwind, 6 = tailwind. 11 or 1= .4, 10 or 2 = .2,etc. These calculations also dictate aiming left or right. that's it. I generally take a bit off of calculation for tailwinds. 

• boroJohnny
    65 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:29 AM

piztaker:

Just take an educated guess and smack it. This game is here to have fun not to study math. Most of us will never be as good as the top players on here for a variety of reasons. Some of you are making it too difficult as whatever your calculation the deviation and VEM will alter each shot anyway. Who's with me?

I am, left  maths at school just having fun now without Mr Brown(my maths teacher) just enjoy it

• pjctas0822
    4,550 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2012 5:44 PM

boroJohnny:

piztaker:

I am, left  maths at school just having fun now without Mr Brown(my maths teacher) just enjoy it

Me 2 . Who has time to sit there and go through all of that ? I guess some do and take this way too serious for my taste. Whack it and track it is my method.

• Dallas5xsb
    556 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:22 AM

Wow!..I am gonna have to take some complicated math courses to learn how to play this game...lol

Dallas

RSS