Forums

Help › Forums

Wind strengths and distance chart...

Sat, Jan 13 2024 8:29 PM (124 replies)
  • DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2012 5:34 AM

DarSum:

It is actually a pretty good starting point for new players that have no idea how much a head or tail wind is going to affect their shots. GIve it a try and manipulate the yardages to suit your clubs and balls. 

FFS, where in my original post do I say anything about this being absolutely the nuts?

I posted it to give NEW players a little help.

• meetnutz
    9 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2012 8:23 AM

I play the game with a paper scale I calculated on the bottom of my 24" monitor. I ajust the screen size of the golf playing field so that the ding power bar is 10" so I know 1" is 10% power on the ding meter.  this is also a great tool putting so that I know on my 25 foot putting meter 1 inch is 2 1/2 feet roll length...  think of what a piece of paper and 10 hash marks can do for your golf game folks....

from the golf'in master on WGT...  MeetNutz..  

the Nose Knows..  

I got my "Nose" on you !!!

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2012 8:54 AM

For anyone who starts a game and gets bad wind chew on one of  these babies.

• meetnutz
    9 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:12 AM

Walker314:

Theres only so much you can do with Python.  Sometimes an 11 mph wind will barely affect theball...other times, a 13 mph wind will push your ball 30 ft or so.  Not the best programmers working on this project.  Youd think they would want somebody who knows something about physics to help program with all the revenue they generate from balls, clubs, etc.  Go buy Tiger Woods for PS3.

not true, on st andrews, an open course, the cross winds really moves the ball great distance...  on bethpage, not really as much, so i think they do take it into consideration..

the ball moves a ton on cross winds when pins are at the edge by the water holes ..   right?

the king of puttin..  MeetNutz

the " Nose " Knows......

I got my " Nose " on you!

• Mesmorizer
    614 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:44 AM

Surprised to see anyone questioning the valid points of this chart. I found it as a pro and still refer to it when looking at charts, only wish Darsum made it up to 35 Mile an hour winds for quick referance lol.

This chart will get you close everytime when you get use to your clubs, simple as that. Like has been said you need to know you clubs and how they react but once you got that part figured out if you ding the ball and follow this guide you gonna be within 4 yards all the time. This come with experince as this is only a "General Guide" and works as such.

Use it or dont use it but helps as a guide and I still use it as a Legend today!

Thanks again Darsum,

Mes.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:11 PM

It is a decent starting point, but not the total answer.  Your chosen ball will affect it because of differing coefficients of lift and drag.  Your particular clubs will affect it according to whether their trajectory is medium or high.  

Further, not just the distance, but the maximum range of the club will affect it.  A 9-iron hit 100 yards will be in the air longer (and affected more) than a 3-iron choked back and hit 100 yards.

• bittydog
    623 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2012 3:13 PM

genorb:

YankeeJim:

IMO, if one is  calculating yardages this tight you're just setting yourself up for a rant or something. I mean, 1/2 a yard??!! C'mon. With the deviations built into this game that's just crazy. 

Hi Jim,

I guess those numbers were not all obtained from experiments on the course, otherwise you would not get such a perfect linear relation with a constant factor like 0.584.

One knows that wind affects distances, the simplest relation one can come with is a linear relation. You know that for 0mph wind, the distance is not affected. You try, from experiments on the course, to guess what happens for a perfect headwind of 20mph. Then you do the same for 10mph. From these 3 points, you can get the best linear relation and hope it works for other speed of the wind :) .

All these numbers above are summarized in the following formula: if D is the distance from the ball to the hole (I am talking about approach shots) and if D' is the distance corrected for the wind (I am talking about perfect headwind here), the formula which encode all those numbers above is

D' = D (1+V / 171)

where V is the speed of the wind in mph. 171 is the magic number found by the original poster. All linear relation between speed of wind and the additional distance you need to add can be written under this form (edit: only the magic number, 171 in this case, will be different).

Linear relation means that if you double the speed of the wind, you double the distance to add (it's not obvious that this relation is linear!). Indeed, the relation I wrote above can be written as

deltaD = D' - D = D V / 171

deltaD being just the additional distance. Written like that, if you double V, you double deltaD.

Regards.

Holy cow! Half way through reading this my brain fogged over and I forgot I was reading about WGT and thought I had stumbled on to a NASA web site and the formula for getting the Mars Rover to land where they wanted it to. LOL.  It's awesome information and all that but I most likely will continue to Tee it up, Remember what the ball did last time in relation to the wind, and hit it! Now if somebody could come up  with a fool proof formula  to hit the dinger that's another story....

• s0niido
    25 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:36 AM

Doah.....clearly your IQ is low and your not capable of making simple math :)....+ in time, as you get better, you will make quick moves like in putting, and you will pin point with accuracy the exact yards, that math will be way back in your head, doing it unconsciously.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:24 PM

I wouldn't say his IQ is low.  Anyone that can instinctively judge the wind as well as another who calculates it probably has a higher IQ.  I would tend more to look askance at the IQ of a person who has yet to be able to distinguish between your and you're.

RSS