Forums

Help › Forums

Wind strengths and distance chart...

Sat, Jan 13 2024 8:29 PM (124 replies)
  • DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:39 AM

TheAceFactor:

Spin alone with a Callaway i(s)  can make that chart look completely foolish. I'm talking any wind on the chart  and  yardages being manipulated tremendously...10 / 15 yards.

Gamers.....

You should always compensate the yardage the amount of spin takes off along with the wind compensation.

For instance I know my 7 iron will go around 163 with no bs. I can adjust to full bs and it will go 151. And you have everything inbetween full bs and no bs. So my 7 iron with 1/2 bs goes 154. 1/4 bs goes 158 and so on.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 9:46 AM

YankeeJim:

IMO, if one is  calculating yardages this tight you're just setting yourself up for a rant or something. I mean, 1/2 a yard??!! C'mon. With the deviations built into this game that's just crazy. 

Hi Jim,

I guess those numbers were not all obtained from experiments on the course, otherwise you would not get such a perfect linear relation with a constant factor like 0.584.

One knows that wind affects distances, the simplest relation one can come with is a linear relation. You know that for 0mph wind, the distance is not affected. You try, from experiments on the course, to guess what happens for a perfect headwind of 20mph. Then you do the same for 10mph. From these 3 points, you can get the best linear relation and hope it works for other speed of the wind :) .

All these numbers above are summarized in the following formula: if D is the distance from the ball to the hole (I am talking about approach shots) and if D' is the distance corrected for the wind (I am talking about perfect headwind here), the formula which encode all those numbers above is

D' = D (1+V / 171)

where V is the speed of the wind in mph. 171 is the magic number found by the original poster. All linear relation between speed of wind and the additional distance you need to add can be written under this form (edit: only the magic number, 171 in this case, will be different).

Linear relation means that if you double the speed of the wind, you double the distance to add (it's not obvious that this relation is linear!). Indeed, the relation I wrote above can be written as

deltaD = D' - D = D V / 171

deltaD being just the additional distance. Written like that, if you double V, you double deltaD.

Regards.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 11:38 AM

Good explanation, Gen, but your observation of "it's not obvious that this relation is linear!" is where it all breaks down. Up until the CGs, none of the clubs in play had a linear relationship from swing strength to distance. I would think it safe to assume this non-linear trait would extend to the other factors in the game, like wind speed. If that were the case then the charts would be just an educated guess. 

In my layperson mind I see VEM as the vehicle that makes computing exact mathematical results and expecting them to act consistently virtually impossible (no pun intended.)  Charts like above would give you a good benchmark to work from as DarSum did but what did he wind up doing?~making his own charts. His best guess based on experience.

Heh-I'm in Ace's camp, not being a gamer. See the ball, hit the ball, go find it and hit it again.  ;-)

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:40 PM

YankeeJim:

Good explanation, Gen

Thanks Jim

YankeeJim:

Charts like above would give you a good benchmark to work from 

That's the point. When you first start to play this game, you have no idea what could be the impact of the wind on your shot. Those kind of charts give you an idea. But it depends on other parameters, like the club and balls you are using, the amount of spin or the topography of the landing area.

Regards

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:52 PM

WOW this game is way to technical for a beer drinking virtual golfer. I'm just going to keep checking the wiggle pin in my wobble shaft on my R11 and hoping it hits the fairway. I plan on working on my putting soon so please tell me what affect morning dew has on the green speeds vs 10:00 am dry greens. Just having fun guys, don't kill me please.

Ren

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 3:00 PM

So guys how does this math work for everybody, are you nailing the pin on every shot, say within 2-3 yds from the pin. I use a % system, gets me close most of the time if I can hit the ding. How do you calculate cross/ quartering winds from the front/rear? I think after you play awhile you get a feel for it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 3:30 PM

Yappy22:
    I think after you play awhile you get a feel for it.

A big BINGO there, Yappy. This is exactly how I play. The wind is going to push the ball one way so aim the other-a lot for a big wind, a little for a breeze. Know what headwinds do to high shots-they stand them up so hit it further. Hitting with a tailwind?-back off or drop a club. Stuff like that. Thinking like that and playing to your instincts will get it done with a lot less stress.

This is not to take away from the efforts of those that get off by charting and computing. Most that do that could probably have my lunch. Then again, maybe not.  ;-)

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 3:45 PM

Yappy22:

I use a % system, gets me close most of the time if I can hit the ding.

First of all, I emphasis that I have nothing to do with the formula I wrote above, I just explained to Jim that the huge list of numbers given above by Darsum, who took it from someone else, could be sumarized by a short formula, as any linear relationship. By the way I do not really agree with that formula...

Using such a formula is the same than using % as you do. Indeed, the formula reads

D' = D (1+V / 171)

the factor (1+V / 171) is related to the %. For example, this formula says that if the wind is 17.1mph, then this factor is 1.1, this means that you have to add 10% of distance (adding 10% to a number or multiplying this number by 1.1 is the same).

Yappy22:

How do you calculate cross/ quartering winds from the front/rear?

For pure cross wind (really perpendicular to your shot), I do not add distance (or just a few), so no computation needed for the distance. For aiming, I just use what I could call "pattern recognition" based on visual memory. So it's similar to what you call "having the feel of it". So no computation for aiming also (at least for me, I do not know how others do).

Regards

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:28 PM

My brain hurts :-(.....lol

Tee it up and smack it i always say

• manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 10:10 PM

If you have a tee surrounded by trees does that affect the wind?

RSS