Forums

Help › Forums

Wind strengths and distance chart...

Sat, Jan 13 2024 8:29 PM (124 replies)
  • Ryanbard33
    9 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2020 4:48 PM

Man-  11 years later and I just found this and it still works great!  Posted a 60 at St Andrews...lowest score I’ve shot so far.  Copied and saved!  Cheers!

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2020 6:23 PM

Ryanbard33:

Man-  11 years later and I just found this and it still works great!  Posted a 60 at St Andrews...lowest score I’ve shot so far.  Copied and saved!  Cheers!

I have that chart, I copied it a few years ago. Have helped many players with it

• Alpick1
    69 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2020 11:01 AM

For me I simply use the rule of 3 and its pretty accurate for any wind circumstances :

1) Take your yardage to the pin = (A)

2) Use the first wind number (EX. if wind shows 13-15 Mph you take 13)

3) ** Take the 13 Mph wind and adjust it from where it stands in the wind indicator (see explanation how to do it below) = (B)

4) Multiply (A) x (B) = (C)  

5) Divide (C) by 200 where's the WGT algorithm for wind is bases on 200Yds distance.

6) The result will give you the amount of yds to add or substract from the shot.

7) Adjust for slope.

** To find (B) This is based on the following  wind strenght pattern : from 12 to 3 O'clock ,from 3 to 6 O'clock, from 6 to 9 O'clock or from 9 to 12 O'clock, there is always 5 wind positions.

So for example starting where 12 O'clock is Headwind and 6 O'clock is Tailwind :

12 or 6 O'clock your multiplyer number will be +/- 13 Mph,

1st position of wind after or before this (left or right from 12 O'clock or 6 O'clock ) will be +/- 11 Mph

2nd wind position will be +/- 9 Mph

3rd wind position will be +/- 7 Mph,

4th wind position will be +/- 5 Mph

5th wind position and the last one (Close to 3 O'clock or 9 O'clock) will be +/- 3Mph

*So for each wind position you will add or substract 2 Mph on any wind conditions.

Let say you have a 172Yds shot, Wind blowing at 15-17Mph from 6 O'clock (Tailwind) at 3rd position (Wind triangle will pointing on top corner left or right into the wind indicator). So that means you take the 15 as the wind factor and your Wind multiplyer will then be11Mph.

So 172 Yds x 11 Mph = 1892  divided by 11Mph = 9.46 Yds to substract from the shot witch will be a 163Yds shot to the pin.

Have fun with it and hit them str8 !

• Flatearth777
    267 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2020 10:10 PM

I need simple caluclation

• 1969DodgeDartGT
    64 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2020 8:16 AM

Very helpful!

• DanL24
    61 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2020 1:00 PM

the thing with any wind calculation is that it is greatly changed by spin on the ball.  If you play full backspin on a shot, the ball will have a higher flight and be in the air longer and subjected to a larger effect from the wind compared to neutral back spin or even full top spin.

More back spin = have to allow for bigger effect of the wind (both left to right and upwind/downwind).

For example, if I am hitting a 200 yard iron shot into a 10 mph wind (I use the midpoint of the range 9-11) with neutral backspin I might add 5 or 6 yards to the shot distance.  With full backspin I might add 10-12 yards to the shot distance, although that also depends on the spin level of your irons and ball.

• ScottHope
    10,015 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2020 1:41 PM

Alpick1:
    So 172 Yds x 11 Mph = 1892  divided by 11Mph = 9.46 Yds to subtract from the shot which will be a 163Yds shot to the pin.

This part doesn't make sense to me Alpick1. To get 9.46 out of 1892 you need to divide it by 200, which is a figure you mentioned in part 5 of your post. Is that correct?

Another part that doesn't quite add up for me is your example.

Alpick1:
    Let say you have a 172Yds shot, Wind blowing at 15-17Mph from 6 O'clock (Tailwind) at 3rd position (Wind triangle will pointing on top corner left or right into the wind indicator). So that means you take the 15 as the wind factor and your Wind multiplyer will then be11Mph

You state that each wind position after|before 12|6 O'clock subtracts multiples of 2mph from the wind speed.

Using that in your example where the wind speed is 15-17mph and the tailwind is at the 3rd position from 6 O'clock. Shouldn't the wind speed of 15mph have 6mph (not 4mph) deducted to bring it down to 9mph (not 11mph) to use as the multiplier? 

• NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2020 6:29 AM

I add or subtract yardage based on the direction of the wind and it's strength at a one to one ratio.  True 5 mph headwind means the shot is playing 5 yards longer than normal.  True 5 mph tail wind the shot is playing 5 yards shorter.  If it's a true crosswind or no wind at all that means no yardage adjustments due to wind.  Then, which is most often the case, everything in between is a percentage of a true headwind or true tailwind.  At a 45 degree head wind at 16 to 18 mph I use 8 yards more are needed.  If its 30 degree its about 5 yards longer.  The opposite for tail wind.

I am not sure if this is the proper way to compensate for wind, but it works reasonably well for me and I used it with other games as well.

• DanL24
    61 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2020 1:22 PM

NickolasMagos:

I add or subtract yardage based on the direction of the wind and it's strength at a one to one ratio.  True 5 mph headwind means the shot is playing 5 yards longer than normal.  True 5 mph tail wind the shot is playing 5 yards shorter.  If it's a true crosswind or no wind at all that means no yardage adjustments due to wind.  Then, which is most often the case, everything in between is a percentage of a true headwind or true tailwind.  At a 45 degree head wind at 16 to 18 mph I use 8 yards more are needed.  If its 30 degree its about 5 yards longer.  The opposite for tail wind.

I am not sure if this is the proper way to compensate for wind, but it works reasonably well for me and I used it with other games as well.

you definitely have to account for the length of the shot and elevation change.  The effect of the wind is dependent on how long the ball is in the air.  A 50 yard punch shot will be less impacted by the wind than a 225 yard 3 iron with full back spin, or a 200 yard shot playing 80 feet downhill.

Uphill shots have less wind effect than downhill shots.  Long shots have more wind effect than shorter shots.

• Agassi1991
    777 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2020 2:17 PM

Hi

Good information :)

For me after 9 years of playing on WGT it all come down to putting,

focus and not playing, when I am tired.

Peter

RSS