Forums

Help › Forums

Low scores getting out of hand

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 16 2022 8:31 AM (40 replies)
  • yesbeau
    7 Posts
    Sat, Feb 23 2019 4:23 PM

In the current Merion Classic so far there are 20 people with scores posted in the 50's. I have been a member for many years and I have only been in the 50's once when I was still playing the easier tees. As a lifelong golfer I find that all these ridiculous low scores take away from the game. It loses so much realism. Doesn't matter if the crosswinds are 30mph and the greens tournament 13 someone will still be in the 50's. Even though I'm a "legend" I acknowledge that these people are all better than me at playing this game but I would rather be 6 strokes back and lose to a 63 like real golf. I wish WGT could fix this because it just makes it seem like a joke. One guy posted an 18 on a best of par 3's. Had a bad day I guess. No holes in one. 

• Condor142
    218 Posts
    Mon, Feb 25 2019 9:09 AM

I read your post and agree.  But, let's not loose sight of the fact that WGT is a computer game, and some players are really, really good at it.  Just like the few really great players in other computer games.  I don't play all of the time, but when I do play I have no desire to play all of the time from the red tees.  Just had a member in my country club break 50.  He's a great player, I'm not in his league, and I don't deny that his skills are much better than mine.  I enjoy the game, and enjoy playing against others that share my skill level.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:11 PM

When I was much younger, I was playing on a course in Austin, Texas behind a young college golfer that was annihilating par - just killing it.  I did not think it was possible that he was shooting as well as he did.

After I finished, I asked in the club house - that young golfer was Ben Crenshaw.  

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:43 PM
    I agree that the scores are too low and it's all to do with the equipment. Wgt are about to remove a lot of the equipment in the pro shop and replace it. This would be a great opportunity to make this equipment not so good and bring the scores up to somewhere more realistic. The way it is at the moment takes a lot of fun out of the game. Get 1 par and you know you're no longer in with a chance. The best players will always be the best players no matter what but it would be nice to know that after you've made a mistake there's always the chance you can get back in it.
  • yesbeau
    7 Posts
    Mon, Feb 25 2019 5:40 PM

As good of a day as Ben was having I'll bet he wasn't in the 50's. But it is cool how good the pros are. 

• yesbeau
    7 Posts
    Mon, Feb 25 2019 5:45 PM

I agree. 

• yesbeau
    7 Posts
    Mon, Feb 25 2019 5:51 PM

He broke 50? My point exactly. Shooting in the 40's is very realistic. And it's ironic that WGT doesn't make any money off of the best players because they're winning credits and playing with the house's money. Oh well I enjoy it MOST of the time but I do get frustrated.

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Mon, Feb 25 2019 6:58 PM

I understand the way players think about this, but it really doesn't matter. A player may shoot 62 and get beat by 10 strokes, but if they made the game more difficult, there would only be one difference. That same player would shoot 72 and still get beat by 10 strokes (or even more now). The same goes with the analogy of "get one par and you no longer have a chance". One bogey and your chance would be gone. ...and the players that were getting that one par, would be getting bogeys.

The game is what it is, and everyone has an equal opportunity. I personally think that if they made it more of a challenge, it would separate players even more. The great players would still be great, and the bad players would play much worse.

I think most players love working their way up to the point that they can consistently break par. I wonder how many of those players would still love this game if they suddenly found themselves struggling to break 80. Making the game harder would definitely hurt mediocre players more than it would hurt the great players. At least that's how I see it.

Brett

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Tue, Feb 26 2019 5:24 AM

DAZZA501:
    I agree that the scores are too low and it's all to do with the equipment. Wgt are about to remove a lot of the equipment in the pro shop and replace it. This would be a great opportunity to make this equipment not so good and bring the scores up to somewhere more realistic. The way it is at the moment takes a lot of fun out of the game. Get 1 par and you know you're no longer in with a chance. The best players will always be the best players no matter what but it would be nice to know that after you've made a mistake there's always the chance you can get back in it.

Interesting idea, but unless you take the top shelf equipment from those who already own it you're only creating a disadvantage for those who have yet to level up and have the opportunity to purchase top level gear.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Feb 26 2019 5:27 AM

The great players in this game are always going to be great. They work hard at it and practice constantly. 

Give them or any Tour Champion starter gear and they will still shoot great scores. Thats why they are the best, and should be.

I love watching Young46 or Mag's shoot shoot, it's a lot of fun to me seeing what they do.

It's up to us to get to their level of play, not up to them to come back to us. The Best will always be the best and thats the way it is.

Happy Hitting Everyone

Don

RSS