Help › Forums

Merion 15

Tue, Feb 19 2019 10:38 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Feb 16 2019 9:40 PM

Nope I did, thinking of #16...

Just left of pin and behind a hair, might snuggle up close....bit of a break in putt....not really alll that tough of a shot, short is dead as you said, some think the chip up is easy, not I.....

kavvz:

Have I got my holes mixed up?  Lol

If you land short on Merion 15 with front pin it rolls off the green no? 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Feb 16 2019 10:48 PM

Well FWIW I checked some old notes.  Both pins are an abomination LOL - IMNSHO:)

The front pin particular will pulverise a round if on high stimp value and much left or right or high.  Short at least it leaves a chip or probably more reliably a pitch for an outside bird chance if it rolls back.

IMO the approach should be played with a punch where possible - a HL wedge is v accurate and I will go for the "reduced risk" of a WD on that basis (far from infallible).

I just went to check that out through Scott Hope's very fine hole selector................Gosh the amount of times I prayed for that and never happened in a RG LOL.   (EDIT: punched shot and Obv can roll up the distance a tad as know.......)

Never father away than a very makeable bird, which was the real aim I will admit LOL.

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:54 AM

Merion 15 the short pin:

Often you will roll of the green short left. You can say direction is 7PM. Most likely you will end up 5,8Y away from hole.

If you have top gear and top ball the following shot will often make a hole-out for you:

use a 17Y pitch shot, 52% power, 25%backspin and aim 0,5 hole left of pin (players view), with a ding its a hole out in 40% of the tries

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2019 7:17 AM

@duffputt

Thanks for the tip! 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2019 7:57 AM

Yes yes ty Dp.  Always appreciate little tips like that will remember it for sure.  Cheers!  :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2019 8:32 AM

duffputt:
    use a 17Y pitch shot, 52% power, 25%backspin and aim 0,5 hole left of pin (players view), with a ding its a hole out in 40% of the tries

Totally agree with the exception of the spin. I use CG 64W, fbs and I know that the shot will stop and dive left a foot at the end. The challenge is getting the strength right and the masking tape ruler does that just fine.  :-)

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2019 10:38 AM

duffputt:

Merion 15 the short pin:

Often you will roll of the green short left. You can say direction is 7PM. Most likely you will end up 5,8Y away from hole.

If you have top gear and top ball the following shot will often make a hole-out for you:

Thank you for the great tip!

• Stobsbee
    4,784 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2019 10:39 AM

fobby1980:
    AFAIK it’s the only hole in WGT that plays shorter for Legends than TM. 
    St.Andy's 11th, is also shorter for Lengends. TM tee is 182 compared to 180 for Legends and above. And, possibly BPB 1st is a little shorter on the back tees but I'm not 100% on that one.

• PAGES
RSS