Forums

Help › Forums

TO WEDGE PUTT or NOT TO WEDGE PUTT ?

Wed, Feb 27 2019 10:36 AM (71 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 9:11 AM

@el3n1

There's just no way I can respond to all of that. I'm sorry. I just don't have that much time.

I'll simply note that suggesting a round or match is decided by the wedge advantage enjoyed by the mobile player is classic reductionism.

A specific factor can only be isolated as a cause if all other factors are held constant. But, in WGT land, all other factors are not held constant.

Saying it's the wedge advantage that made the difference is like saying the football game was lost because the kicker doinked (or in some cases, doubled doinked, sorry Chicago fans) the last-second field goal that would have won the game. That argument neglects to account for the other 59 minutes and 58 seconds of the game.

And, of course, I was being facetious at the end.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 9:47 AM

Robert1893:
    There's just no way I can respond to all of that.

exactly, because PC players do not have a special shot they can use that mobile players can't replicate... whereas mobile players do!

the rest is simply an attempt to deflect the obvious Robert.. but -- speaking of kickers...

why do you think nfl kickers tend to use 2 different types of shoes... one on their plant foot and one on their kicking foot?  the reason … because different shoes offer a qualitative difference in their ability to control the ball!

for heaven's sake, mobile players effectively have a different shoe that allows them to control the ball with much greater accuracy...

it can and does make a difference, but it is not and never has been suggested the ONLY factor involved... 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 10:14 AM

WGT should either remove the spin from a wedge shot on the green by mobile players

or...

add the ability to use spin on a wedge shot on the green for PC users as well. 

This may be an indication that the mobile devs and the PC devs are not on the same page. 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 10:30 AM

el3n1:

exactly, because PC players do not have a special shot they can use that mobile players can't replicate... whereas mobile players do!

the rest is simply an attempt to deflect the obvious Robert.. but -- speaking of kickers...

why do you think nfl kickers tend to use 2 different types of shoes... one on their plant foot and one on their kicking foot?  the reason … because different shoes offer a qualitative difference in their ability to control the ball!

for heaven's sake, mobile players effectively have a different shoe that allows them to control the ball with much greater accuracy...

You do realize that, from the start of our conversation, I conceded the point that mobile players do have an advantage because they can add spin, yes? I specifically wrote:

So, yes, the mobile player would have the advantage.

And no offense, the reason I can't reply is that I don't have the time to read and digest all that you wrote. Again, I don't mean to offend, but I just don't have the time (or maybe I just don't want to take the time). Sorry. 

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 11:59 AM

PC players used to be able to spin the ball on the green, but then wgt removed that option. I'm not sure why mobile players have it.

I will say from personal experience, being able to use bs when chipping on the green is a huge benefit.

ct

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 12:12 PM

JFidanza:

WGT should either remove the spin from a wedge shot on the green by mobile players

or...

add the ability to use spin on a wedge shot on the green for PC users as well. 

^^^^THIS^^^^^

On the moot point of an advantage as the mobile player can use spin chipping on the green in a tournament.....I would say this advantage would perhaps occur once every 10 rounds or so at the most?

In the same 10 tournaments....I would hazard a guess the wind directions/variations had a far more profound impact on the final scores than the spin imparted on the ball.

Now I don't play mobile.....I have a decent sized phone, have an iPad.....but have never tried it, nor ever will....but many who play both platforms say the biggest advantage on mobile is the smooth meter. I am sure that is countered by other nuances...but I am happy to continue on the PC platform.....the day that ceases to function...is the day I stop playing.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 12:26 PM

Robert... what I began to find problematic is the following....

Robert1893:
    While you appear to have got the answer you're looking for, I just want to note that there is no "unfair advantage."

Robert1893:
    In the end, I don't think there's any unfair advantage, regardless of how one constructs various scenarios. 

Robert1893:
    Is there a real advantage to the mobile player? I remain unconvinced that there is.

So,  how many times are you going to keep saying there isn't an advantage while also suggesting it is okay for mobile to have an advantage, which you immediately rationalized with the suggestion desktop players have other advantages. but later repeatedly stated it wasn't an advantage...

So, I asked a simple question... WHAT club enhancement feature do desktop users have that mobile players don't...  I do not know of any... but if I am wrong then it is simply a shortcoming on my part...

But your posts are/were suggesting it is okay for mobile to have a club enhancement feature even though it "may be an advantage" but you don't consider it an advantage or do you... I just don't know... anymore... but I would hope you could see the frustration or ambiguity it creates it what you are or are not implying or suggesting.. 

I had intended to reach out privately to clear it up, but felt there may have been some value in the forum and maybe it is something WGT should look at a bit closer...  and get their attention... who knows...

I have always thought highly of you Robert and still do... I have tried to acknowledge you for you generosity and assistance … but every great once in awhile we seem to view a situation ever so slightly differently... I mean no ill will or offense either... but I hope you see why or where the frustration/confusion arose...

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 1:27 PM

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 1:36 PM

alanti:
    Now I don't play mobile.....I have a decent sized phone, have an iPad.....but have never tried it, nor ever will....but many who play both platforms say the biggest advantage on mobile is the smooth meter. I am sure that is countered by other nuances...but I am happy to continue on the PC platform.....the day that ceases to function...is the day I stop playing.

Ditto that Alan,

I use my devices for their advantages of the video's that allow me to pay for countless top end balls etc.

And as per yourself, the day this goes mobile, which it will inevitably eventually, the mobile version will take over completely, at the moment I and many feel the PC player is becoming the poor relation.

Buying hats, shoes and underwear and other 'silly' apparel items to improve your overall experience and performance.

I will cease for sure, and the likes of many others .....possibly?

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 2:33 PM

#alan #andwhy67...

I get what you are saying about mobile.. I can have a preference as well... but for those that enjoy the game, have time, effort and credits invested into it... with the availability or option of playing on a desktop PC by using a mobile emulator, I believe the game plays or seems to have the same feel as the desktop version.  at least that is my impression... we would need someone that plays regularly using an android emulator on their PC to comment but I suspect while it is technically the mobile "version" it would feel more like playing on the desktop, in part because you are...

RSS