Does Wind Affect Putts In Any Way?

Sat, Jul 27 2019 4:06 AM (31 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 11:25 AM

YankeeJim:

Mythanatos:
    Feel putters won't see the difference

I'm a feel putter and don't actually see it BUT it does affect my thinking on the putts. On downhill putts that are fast to begin with and I have wind from behind me, I know the roll is going to want to keep going because of it. Conversely, on an uphill putt into a wind I might give the putt a little more because I know it's going to want to slow down and the wind will help that happen.

I learned from the putting CTTH that wind definitely affects long putts. 

Let's define feel (without a volume)

If anyone is feeling their way disregarding stimp then they need a feel pill and quickly. EDIT: Effectively stimp is noticeably altered on a longer windy putt......

Long putts absolutely you need to add / subtract / allow for sideways, no precise math needed to see the bull among the noisy crickets in that field.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 12:00 PM

Jimbog1964:

Determine the distance, envision the arc, make the putt. Avatar moves nail the distance on any stimp, feel comes from knowing how the putt will roll.  :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 1:05 PM

Yes:)

Can certainly write more for RL but here putting evokes enough realism I think to all much of that.

My game I will usually fire at the pin (here).  Andys #5 you can end up with long putts that way.  Now not saying other more conservatives ways to attack it, but the chances of me 3 putting were next to nil and if the approach half comes off it's more of an eagle chance than my 3rd with a wedge. 

You most certainly need the stimp calc for speed.  Personally I use the pal for meter power, but avatar moves will do the same for sure too.  

IRL any ball will roll slower as it overcomes inertia thus taking in more contours.  Full pelt it will carve through and as it slows it will again take in the contours more - obviously stimp plays a huge part.

I would say go to Beth 3 and get the stimps down in practice mode (lots of go to simple in head calcs to get anyone started or too lazy and all need anyway). After that set up a practice hole (ScottHopes way of getting there is great) and then notice what the wind does.

None of that is hard and pretty much a 150ft or more putt back at Andys #5 you still have an outside chance of eagle, but more importantly a gimme bird 9.5 times out of 10. 

Get that down and for sure also look at the very refined putting methods out there / watch vids...................I never got that far but that's me and happy:)

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 1:18 PM

YankeeJim:

Jimbog1964:

Determine the distance, envision the arc, make the putt. Avatar moves nail the distance on any stimp, feel comes from knowing how the putt will roll.  :-)

So your screen name should really be YankeeVem? 

;)

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 2:04 PM

Jimbog1964:

Feel putting simply means you do not have a system you use (like "Golds formula").

You still read the putt in terms of distance/elevation *ie weight. And you have "seen" the putt may times before, typically. You know how it breaks, and when you need to "off ding" into the break. You know if it is a "fast" downhill, or a "slow" uphill, and compensate. And, on long putts with high winds, you adjust a tad.  You read the break, set your aim, and hole it.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 2:28 PM

even a slight affect from the wind can cause a lip out, and it does

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 1 2019 12:42 PM

goldeena:
    How anyone could be offering this kind of advice in 2019 is shocking.

Shows what you know. Have a read and come back after practicing it for 10 years . :-)

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Fri, Feb 1 2019 5:18 PM

I find it hilarious when someone with horrible putting stats tries to correct how another player putts (even more hilarious when the player they are making fun of putts so much better than they do). LOL You don't need to look farther than their latest status, to know that they have no clue how to play the game. Tip for the day, YJ  ...don't hire them for your coach. ;-) 

And one more thing... I have always appreciated all the tips and help you pass along in the forum, @YankeeJim. Thank you.

Brett

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Feb 1 2019 5:40 PM

RSS