Forums

Help › Forums

WORLD CUP 2019

Tue, Jun 18 2019 8:47 PM (1,489 replies)
  • PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 6:51 AM

hey all wgt land

just getting the feelers out for my next world cup.

its going to be a shorter version as i think last year it went on just a little too long,

nico,dotty and nigel are onboard again to help me as they have the last couple of times and are invaluable to me,

we have decided to go for around 32 teams again but shorten the groups to 4 in eachgroup and the top two going through,that will mean 6weeks of league time and 8 weeksof knockout weeks just over 3 months of play,

im thinking maybe April to start and should be finished by middle June,

its open again to all clubs and there will be handicaps between tiers as i have always done but only down to tour master and as its shorter the plate will be in again,

what i would say to any clubs/captains before entering,if you cant keep a team going for the duration of the comp then dont sign up please,it will be wasting our time and yours as a captain.We will have see about these tour champs but cant see them being any different to a champ,

im away from tomorrow in spain for the new year but will check in every now and then,

Happy new year to all

finny

ps this thread will be pinned for the duration of the comp

TEAMS 2019

RULES FOR WORLD CUP 2019

AIR SHOT

COURSES/DATES/FORMATS

GROUPS/SQUADS/FIXTURES/RESULTS/TABLES

CAPTAINS

CAPTAINS DUTIES

CTTH COURSES/HOLES

KNOCKOUT STAGES

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 7:21 AM

PAULFINN52:
    what i would say to any clubs/captains before entering,if you cant keep a team going forthe duration of the comp then dont sign up please,it will be wasting our time and yours as a captain.

Hi Finny. Can i suggest that teams have a squad of up to 15 players and then pick their 8 for each match. This is a World cup after all. The football world cup teams have squads of 23 despite only needing 11 players.

• fireman33
    2,692 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 7:45 AM

Sound interesting. Posting this as I have some members who are interested in participating in this event. Would sound logical to have more than 4 so if one could not make it you would have an alternate so you could keep going. 

• PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 8:37 AM

early days dazza lol

yes we will see ok

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 9:41 AM

PAULFINN52:
    there will be handicaps between tiers as i have always done

Sorry to hear that, it's a deal killer this time around. Too many game-wise Legends hanging back.

• carlosdev
    2,526 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 9:47 AM

I will only add this. 

Try to consider career earnings when looking out for handicaps :) 

- Carl

• PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 11:20 AM

didnt take long jimbo lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 11:54 AM

Har, told ya last year. ;-)

So you don't feel blindsided and we have many months to work this out, this is what I posted in my CC forum, verbatim.............

Paul's already fishing around, he must be bored. I'm here to tell you of a stance I am taking this year that may or may not be popular but i warned Paul last year I would be adopting this pose---no handicaps.

There's too many Legends that don't belong in the Legend tier and it galls me when my primo golfers have to add that silly pressure to an almost equal, save for the tier designation.

IMO, this has turned into a superior tournament that should be played straight up by the best a CC has to offer. I feel strongly about that and am thinking I will have a lot of support outside of this CC. I intend to make it an issue and if need be, sit this one out.

That's just my side.  

Happy New Year as we get the debate rolling.  ;-)

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:18 PM

Agree with Jim. I don't see the need for handicaps. I'm not ashamed to say i lost a match to a legend who had 2 shots and he would of beat me even if i didn't give those shots. There's a lot of good players around regardless of their tier or career earnings.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:19 PM
    YankeeJim:
    MO, this has turned into a superior tournament that should be played straight up by the best a CC has to offer.
    +1

The ludicrous nature of having a handicap demeans what is such a great event this is.

The incentive must be to beat the best of the best, and I don't think it would deter any teams entering Quite the opposite, I personally would not play again this year if there is a handicap system.

RSS