Forums

Help › Forums

WORLD CUP 2019

Tue, Jun 18 2019 8:47 PM (1,489 replies)
  • Tiewaz
    1,281 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2018 9:41 PM

G'day Finny,

I'll definitely wrangle a Squad together from AAA mate!

Handicaps or not - we'll be there!

Side note from my experience last year.....

- In regards to the handicap system & being a legend who hadn't played much matchplay before entering the WC, I welcomed & appreciated the handicap system that was in place....

I was drawn against Champions who had amassed $20,000 + in earnings....I was freaked out & yet eager for the challenge knowing that I had a handicap in place....

These people played some absolutely outstanding golf, which was a pure pleasure to experience & if it weren't for the handicap system being in place, the enjoyment of being in these matches would've ended much sooner....

I felt at some points as if I may have an actual chance of winning the match....I let myself down on some occasions & got up in others....All in all, I had garnished a wealth of new experience & have met a bunch of cool people from taking part in the 2018 WC competition for which I am forever grateful....

With all that being said - In 2019, I'm happy to go with a no handicap system in place!

All the best for your New Year everyone...May it be a prosperous & safe one!

Cheers,

Waz.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 1:23 AM

I don't think the handicap system makes a difference one way or the other. I actually think it was handled well last year when a handful of "sandbagger" legends were not eligible for the 2 shot/hole advantage while the rest had an additional motivation to play as Tiewaz pointed out. But let's be real when we're talking about the "best battling it out", there's not going to be one result between a truly excellent player and a "normal" legend tier and down that's going to be close enough so that the 2 shots would make any difference. 

Is the format staying the same as last year or will there also be UEL and alt shot rounds this time around?

Good luck with the next round of your tourney, Finny, and happy new year to all.

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 1:50 AM

Fairway Fanatic's Will have 1 team for sure. Will start the chat on our forums and we should have enough for 2 teams. 

As for handicaps, if they are in then they should be done more on player ability and not just tier but of course that would take alot of time to sort out. Plus with the new tour champ how is that going to work? we all know if wgt had put the correct people into that tier then they could of given 1 shot to champions and 2 to legends etc but they filled it with alot of people who would still lose to a master let alone a champion. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 5:43 AM

birchi:
    there's not going to be one result between a truly excellent player and a "normal" legend tier and down that's going to be close enough so that the 2 shots would make any difference. 

So you're OK with finishing the 17th AS and having to concede the 18th for a loss?

I think not.

• PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 6:49 AM

Now now jimbo lets not get into a heated debate i am on me hols but still checking on in ive got a feeling with the comments coming in that handicaps are not wanted or needed,i will make decision when i get back ok 👌                                                                                            Plus itvwould make our job so much easier lol                 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 2:31 PM

birchi:
    I don't think the handicap system makes a difference one way or the other. I actually think it was handled well last year when a handful of "sandbagger" legends were not eligible for the 2 shot/hole advantage while the rest had an additional motivation to play as Tiewaz pointed out. But let's be real when we're talking about the "best battling it out", there's not going to be one result between a truly excellent player and a "normal" legend tier and down that's going to be close enough so that the 2 shots would make any difference. 

Simon you are right it wouldn't make a difference against anyone in the teams that'll fight this out but where it may make a difference is against the likes of me, and it has.  I think that's fair enough in the interests of an inclusive competition and I think Tiewaz wrote a great post.  Him and his team were great for the competition last time and some players getting two shots probably did make a difference to how far they got in it.  It'll make the biggest difference to the honest TM's and legends feeling they can at least put up a fight.

We had a TM in our team last time; any of them this time will (?) be off the same tees as a TC, faster greens than he's used to and with lesser equipment and no strokes, level playing field?

I'm not complaining, if I'm playing in it I'd not be getting shots from anyone.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 3:46 PM

That puts it right back in Paul's lap, he said he'll deal with it.  He has to decide what's more important-his vision of kumbaya or a serious competition. 

• TdotDoba
    2,154 Posts
    Tue, Jan 1 2019 12:13 AM

YankeeJim:

That puts it right back in Paul's lap, he said he'll deal with it.  He has to decide what's more important-his vision of kumbaya or a serious competition. 

Can it not be both?

I will start by saying I'm no fan of handicaps, wait, it's not the idea of a handicap, as I have given many holes in mp and alt when the teams seem very mismatched. So better to say I'm no fan of handicaps not been used as intended. Tiewaz has reminded me of how it should be used, I thank  you waz for that, well stated mate!

I remember finny stating somewhere that he started this tourney because of his experience of higher tier players not wanting to mix or play with the lower tier players, and we did, and it was fun, I remember having to give up 6 strokes to someone and thinking on the 1st tee, geez what have I got myself into.... I ended up beating that player but made a new friend and was so impressed with their good nature and respect of the game that I ended up joining that club.

It has really been fun being involved with this tourney, it's been wonderful to see it grow/evolve and where it is going. Some amazing cc vs cc matches, but there is nowt wrong with remembering the grass roots meaning of why it was created, to get us out of our CCs, meet new players, have some fun and give a chance for all the tiers to mix it up... oh and of course some bragging rights.

So should we drop handicaps? I think we should keep them and continue as we did last year to make sure they are being used as intended. There were a few legends last year that stood up and said yep, don't want one and golf clap and respect to you. And there ones that took advantage of it, Maybe we don't limit ourselves to guidelines on who gets them and who doesn't and we ask them to stand up and say not needed. The ones that do not, it could be on a case by case basis, a panel that will look at avg. mp stats. credits made or whatever is needed to weed out the ones that are taking advantage before it starts.

However it comes out this year, it will be fun to continue to watch this grow and finally find it stride, because to me, there in no better fun then a bit of good old cc vs cc competition.

Cheers all for caring enough to voice how you feel and help us grow this tourney.

Dotty aka DotBot lol

EDIT: Just wanted to add that once the round robin is done, I would like to drop all handicaps for the knockout rounds.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Tue, Jan 1 2019 2:20 AM

YankeeJim:

birchi:
    there's not going to be one result between a truly excellent player and a "normal" legend tier and down that's going to be close enough so that the 2 shots would make any difference. 

So you're OK with finishing the 17th AS and having to concede the 18th for a loss?

I think not.

I wasn't talking about the mathematical possibility of this happening. 

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Tue, Jan 1 2019 2:36 AM

As of right now, Ranked rounds  to Tour Legend is not 500. Probably 250, 300, 350 ? 

So I suppose, certain number of legends will be definitely TL in coming days. ;) ;)  

If then somebody says, we don't play strokes, then this is not an Alt Tournament to start with.. :D :D 

Another reason to take off "Handicap" 

- Carl

RSS