Forums

Help › Forums

WORLD CUP 2019

Tue, Jun 18 2019 8:47 PM (1,489 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 1:46 PM

Everyone is right of course in a straight up WC it would be the best team wins, no handicaps.  I have lots of other issues with it/can see places I think it could be better, too.

However we also have to remember this is Finny's tournament and from the start he's wanted less good plyers to be able to compete in it as well.  This isn't just about the Legends who avoid rr's etc, there's also those who play thier best and usually score mid-high 60's.  Maybe TM's who'd like to play too.  I thought that last year a system was put in place so the 'baggers (only used as shorthand-I blame wgt) didn't get an advantage but the less good players still did.

Maybe last years system could be improved upon and extra safeguards put in; perhaps along the lines of anyone scoring 60 or less, over 47 or beating 2 higher tiered players in mp loses their strokes.  That was an example off the top of my head but there's months to go and surely we can come up with something to let those deserving of it have a couple of strokes.

• Beryman
    9,084 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 2:20 PM

i am not a fan of a handicap either except for to those who actually need it as DodgyPutter stated, and then i prefer to give strokes

DodgyPutter:
    surely we can come up with something to let those deserving of it have a couple of strokes.

strokes is the key word there...last year we gave holes not strokes

in my club we tried out a way to give strokes in match play other than holes and it worked out great...the way it worked was on say hole #4 you would tee off with a putter set to the lowest scale and hit it like 2 inches...you would then be hitting your second shot still on the tee and teed up...a stroke handicap instead of a hole handicap

the only issue is you need to make sure you go to the lowest scale because when you select putter on the tee it defaults to the largest scale and you can hit it far enough to put yourself into some ugly chit in front of the tee box

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 2:22 PM

This is a W0rId Cup. It's reaIIy ab0ut the best pIayers fr0m the best teams. I agree with Jim and Darren.

• soliderock1
    1,550 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 2:58 PM

Agree with Jim and the others.   This is the tourney of all tourney's, and the best of the best.  Not a place for a handicap system.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 3:35 PM

PAULFINN52:

that will mean 6weeks of league time and 8 weeksof knockout weeks just over 3 months of play,

im thinking maybe April to start and should be finished by middle June,

Start of April to the middle of July?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 5:46 PM

DodgyPutter:
    However we also have to remember this is Finny's tournament and from the start he's wanted less good plyers to be able to compete in it as well

That was all well and good back when he birthed the idea. Unfortunately (or fortunately) his vision morphed into something better and stronger than players meeting players. Now it's a real challenge to outplay the competition.

Handicaps got this off the ground but it's soaring now and lesser golfers should endeavor to be good enough to compete without gifts. If they can't, see ya next year, go practice and get better. For now, let the best play the best, scratch.

• soliderock1
    1,550 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 11:24 PM

YankeeJim:

Now it's a real challenge to outplay the competition.

Handicaps got this off the ground but it's soaring now and lesser golfers should endeavor to be good enough to compete without gifts. If they can't, see ya next year, go practice and get better. For now, let the best play the best, scratch.

+1

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2018 2:38 AM

DAZZA501:

PAULFINN52:
    what i would say to any clubs/captains before entering,if you cant keep a team going forthe duration of the comp then dont sign up please,it will be wasting our time and yours as a captain.

Hi Finny. Can i suggest that teams have a squad of up to 15 players and then pick their 8 for each match. This is a World cup after all. The football world cup teams have squads of 23 despite only needing 11 players.

If i may captain...

About the squad, i would suggest:

5 players picked by year's earnings,

5 players picked with best win/loss avg in mps and alt games,

5 players by captain's pick.

I was really glad to be selected for the first time in last year's WC, even though i had a terrible last match. I really enjoyed the competition and looking forward to next year.

Cheers all!!

• carlosdev
    2,526 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2018 2:52 AM

o.... remove handicap system but World Cup is your baby, Finny !!! 

It shall continue its run by the "Best" from the Whole Big World ;) ;) 

- Carl 

• giraldin
    3,712 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2018 3:05 AM

Hello, as my English is very bad, I thought I understood that this tournament starts with the election of each CC of the players that represent it. So since I am already attached to this thread, I will wait for events, and if it is possible that I can enjoy this, welcome.

PAULFINN52, I want you to spend a few happy days in my country, and if this is where you start the new year, be careful to eat the 12 grapes as is customary in Spain, it is best to give 12 sips of Champagne

Luis

RSS