Forums

Help › Forums

Short Greenside Bunker Shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 10 2019 8:22 AM (39 replies)
  • Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2018 10:05 AM

I’m still relatively new to WGT, but am getting my feet wet. The one shot I cannot wrap my head around is the short greenside bunker shot, those ranging in length from 8 to 12 yds. I am using a 60 degree lob wedge. My shot meter displays a range from 77 yds down to 0.  In hitting these shots if I choose 25% power I will move the ball, distance dependent upon the lie of the ball, but in all cases the length of the shot is greater then I need. When I power down below 25% the ball either advances 3 or 4 yds or not at all. I have watched more advanced players hit those shots within a yd of the hole. Is there a trick, formula, or magic spell that I am unaware of? I have practiced as much as I can, but am making no progress.

• Beryman
    9,084 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2018 1:38 PM

trash the hybrid and get a good 64 degree wedge...then flop it about 7 more yrds than you see listed

• Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2018 1:54 PM

My wedge is a Taylor ATV 60 degree “lob” wedge. I used it for 4 months now...don’t think I want to trash it. I’ll try the flop idea again with the 7 yd adjustment and see what happens. Somewhat easier in the real world where you can adjust the distance and flight characteristics by varying the club face and the amount of sand hit.

• Robert1893
    7,654 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2018 5:39 PM

Beryman:

trash the hybrid and get a good 64 degree wedge...then flop it about 7 more yrds than you see listed

+1

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2018 8:19 PM

Beryman:

I will have to keep this in mind.  I play them here as I do in real life, just get out of the bunker and worry about the next shot LOL.

To the OP, welcome to the game.  I suggest keeping notes.  I've been here just a few days longer than 9 years and still refer to the notes I started back when I got my first Cleveland 64 degree wedge.  I use an excel spreadsheet that I update periodically and even email to my work email for when I sneak in a round or four at work.  If you aren't very familiar with excel, keep at it.  Playing WGT has a funny way of improving certain computer skills. LOL

**Edit

been here 9 years and 1 week lol.  Time friggin' flies.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2018 9:17 PM

Beryman:

+1

I highly recommend the L80 Cleveland. A good 64 degree wedge is a must.

Additionally, not all bunkers are created equal. You have to learn which bunkers to avoid at all cost. If you have green to work with and the pin is uphill or flat, bunker shots become fairly easy. However, if you have little green to work with and the pin is downhill, then you need luck more than a wedge. 

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2018 11:25 PM

Cicero733:
    I have watched more advanced players hit those shots within a yd of the hole. Is there a trick, formula, or magic spell that I am unaware of? I have practiced as much as I can, but am making no progress.

As a general guide a wedge from 30-40% and 40-50% sand requires another 8-10 yards with full bs. Of course outcomes will vary according to clubs and ball used. The shape  and elevation of the green needs to be considered as well, in addition to breeze, when deciding to add a few yards or take a couple of yards off.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2018 12:00 AM

When you flop out of a trap, do you use the common WGT method of 'hitting early' or do you move the aim proper to adjust for the flop which kicks right and ding it?

all suggestions are welcome

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/120094.aspx

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2018 7:45 AM

BPeterson8256:
    Additionally, not all bunkers are created equal. You have to learn which bunkers to avoid at all cost. If you have green to work with and the pin is uphill or flat, bunker shots become fairly easy. However, if you have little green to work with and the pin is downhill, then you need luck more than a wedge. 

+1000

• club578
    559 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2018 9:24 AM

a 64 wedge is good add 5 to shot plus or minus elevation and wind should get you close

RSS