Help › Forums

Punch shot How To?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 31 2020 5:50 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • szimm29
    4 Posts
    Thu, Jul 28 2011 8:54 PM

So, I have been looking through the forum posts, trying to improve my game, especially approach shots and putting, and I see a lot of the "best" players here talk about punch shots.  Can someone give me a tutorial on the how's and when's of the punch shot?

Thanks much!!!

Szimm29

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 12:53 AM

I cover it briefly here, but here is the basics.

1. I punch a lot with wedges, I consider it additional 3 wedges, with callaway balls + backspin, it stops on the dime

2. I often punch out of the trouble

3. Basically punch shot is rated same as full shot just alot more run and less carry. It often carries less due to running into hills or other undulations.

4. Punch shot works well in wind too

It's hard to really teach that shot, just there are some holes where it can be an advantage. Heck, some folks punch putts from outside 30ft :)

-wgticon

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 5:29 AM

I tried to invite you for 9 holes there Szimm29, in order to show you when I use the punch shot. Unfortunately you couldn't play. If you change your mind or are able to play, give me a shout.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 7:02 AM

tiffer67:

I tried to invite you for 9 holes there Szimm29, in order to show you when I use the punch shot. Unfortunately you couldn't play. If you change your mind or are able to play, give me a shout.

Very kind of you :)

-wgticon

• szimm29
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 7:16 AM

Sorry I forgot to log out apparently.  I would love a lesson or 2.  I look for you when I log.

Thanks for the offer tiffer67.

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 9:11 AM

Something I can't seem to adapt to with a punch shot IS using it in negotiating wind, especially a dead-on head wind for example. Hard to estimate how much less a punch is affected by the wind. I mean that's the whole idea, right? Lower projectile and the like, right? I mean is there a loosely defined formula for that?

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 9:55 AM

AGArgent:

Hard to estimate how much less a punch is affected by the wind. I mean that's the whole idea, right? Lower projectile and the like, right? I mean is there a loosely defined formula for that?

In real golf yes that is the idea, on WGT I play a punch as often as possible from 100 yards in irrespective of the wind.

For me it's about distance control. I carry a 100 yard, a 75 yard and a 50 yard lob wedge. If I am 82 yards from the green I have 3 choices assuming no or little wind;

Go easy on the 100 yard wedge.

Try and force the 75 yard wedge with top spin.

Play the 100 yard wedge but punch it. It punches 84 yards. I am able to play that shot at  as near as damn 100% of the swing meter.

Just my opinion but if you can play as many shots as possible during your round at full power, 100%, you will have a lot greater success at landing the ball pin high. The minute you start taking 10%-20% power off a club it becomes less predictable as to how far it goes. Factor in missing the ding and playing the shot with a lot of spin, you can find yourself way short of the pin.

As for factoring in the wind, I really couldn't tell you how to figure it out other than trial and error I'm afraid. The shorter the shot in the less the wind affects the ball.

What I do know is that if you want to make more birdies from inside 100 yards, you have to become proficient at playing punch shots. Try to have as few gaps in your club distances inside this distance. eg

100 full, 84 punch, 75 full, 62 punch, 50 full & 41 punch. Other players have different set ups but the aim is still the same, as few gaps as possible.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 10:32 AM

tiffer67:

The minute you start taking 10%-20% power off a club it becomes less predictable as to how far it goes. Factor in missing the ding and playing the shot with a lot of spin, you can find yourself way short of the pin.

I have to disagree with you on this tiffer. My wedges (G10, Cleveland and Z Satin) are all extremely accurate every time with each avatar movement down. The G10 I only use 3, the Cleveland I use 5 and the Satin I use 7 down movements. Those will cover anywhere from about 122 to 20 yrds. Everything below 20 yrds I count upward movements with the Z Satin.

As for other clubs that may be the case but definitely not with the wedges. I never go below one movement down with any other clubs except my hybrid and that's rare.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 10:55 AM

Darsum I have never been able to figure out the avatar movement method of hitting the ball the desired distance. It's all white man's magic to me and I doff my cap to those that use it effectively. 

More than one way to skin a cat as far as this game is concerned, whatever works :^)

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2011 11:25 AM

lol I agree

tiffer67:

Darsum I have never been able to figure out the avatar movement method of hitting the ball the desired distance. It's all white man's magic to me and I doff my cap to those that use it effectively. 

More than one way to skin a cat as far as this game is concerned, whatever works :^)

lol Yep, I agree. I think it's however each person has taught themselves to play from the beginning. There's so many different ways to play from the same yardage with all variable added in I just try to keep it as simple as possible!

Putting is what has been KILLING me lately. I just play 18 and my average distance to pin was 8.2 ft. for the round. I was only -7. Should have been about -12.

• PAGES
RSS