where can I go to practice putting on this site

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 7:49 AM

Nowhere.  

• rcrazied
    6 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 5:56 AM

HELP!!! The putting in this game is hard to understand.. The grid shows the greens rolling one way and the ball goes another..It shows an uphill pin and the ball rolls well past it...or a downhill pin and the ball doesn't reach the hole...

Now before you say I'm not hitting in the right spot (which is probably correct..lol) It even happens on a dead center hit..

Is it better to move the marker and click on center or to try and click the meter at a point past / before center??

And while I'm at it..is there anyway to THROW MY CLUBS..LMAO

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 6:16 AM

The putting in this game is perfectly fine. It just needs some time to get used to. (And variable green speeds were introduced a few days ago, so you may need to re-adjust your putting habits.)

• rcrazied
    6 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 6:43 AM
    Faterson..click on my screen name and watch the vidoes... It's NOT that I CAN'T putt...I'm asking for some putting tips and suggestions..that's all.
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 7:19 AM

rcrazied:
    Faterson..click on my screen name and watch the vidoes... It's NOT that I CAN'T putt...I'm asking for some putting tips and suggestions..that's all.

Nivlac wrote a great piece awhile back on putting.  You can find it here.

Why that post hasn't been stickied I'll never know....

Peace.

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 7:29 AM

putting 101;

tip #1; the break in the last 5' of a putt is most important...for example a 20' putt that is a double breaker...slightly left breaking off the club with a slightly right break near the cup...focus on the break right at the cup....the speed of the ball off the putter will not allow the early break to alter the direction of the ball

tip#2; uphill putts break less than downhill putts...again, the speed of the ball on an uphill putt will negate much of the break until the ball slows near the cup....conversely, a downhill putt will roll slowly and be nearly doubly affected by the break.

tip #3; many players tend to not play enough break...if you tend to not ding your putts, intentionally miss the ding to the side that will help keep your ball rolling on the high side of the cup. (the old "never up, never in"

tip#4; remember to adjust for uphill and downhill when determining the power to apply.

tip#5; remember to check your max distance selector...learn to use the same distance selector for all putts within a given range...for example you might want to use the 45' setting for all putts less than 45'...this offers an advantage of repetition and familiarity.

tip#6; add 3' when putting from the fringe...it doesn't matter if the beautiful HD picture shows you 1" or 2' into the fringe...just add 3'.

tip#7; always click the reverse view...if the 2 views tell you the same break, fine...if not, play (line for) a compromise between the 2 views.

gl

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 7:29 AM

Snaike:
    Nivlac wrote a great piece awhile back on putting.  You can find it here.

Why that post hasn't been stickied I'll never know....

Nivlac's thread got a much better promotion. When you click "Putting Tips" under FAQ in the right-hand column, that thread will open.

• rcrazied
    6 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 7:51 AM

Awesome guys..thanks for the help..

RSS