Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • BlackCanyon
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 1:39 PM

I've found that treating each movement at about 5 1/3 feet puts me nuts on, though only with a perfect hit, any variation left to right adds or subtracts power depending on the break.

Great post though mate, hole by hole tutorial coming soon?  ;p

• CoolWind
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 4:57 PM

Excellent advice, thanks.

• lovethisgame
    8 Posts
    Thu, Jul 2 2009 6:40 PM

Thanks for your tip, Im new at this site and sure can use all the help I can get,God be with you

• billyray37
    8 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2009 3:13 PM

I've noticed that if you pull your putter back at a slow even pace you can go by the blue bars at the bottom of the screen on the swing meter.Once again though like Nivlac said it's not an exact science getting to know each hole and the spots you putt from comes into play a lot with this theory.That is what I have usually suggested to new players on the game is to pull back slow and even and watch for the blue bars to close.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2009 5:12 PM

Be careful about going back too slowly though.  If you take too long setting your power in your backswing, your forgiveness suffers.  Draw the putter back slow to 50% and notice how the forgiveness bars decrease and then stop moving once you hit 50%.  Continue to hold the putter at 50% and watch how it starts to shrink again because you're holding it too long.  All clubs on all shot types do the same thing.

My recommendation is to bring the meter out to the power you want and mark it with your eyes or put your finger on the screen.  Remember that the time it took you to find where you wanted your power is counting against your accuracy should you mishit.  Swing through the first time (or just unwind) and then quickly take a rip at it for the best (and most accurate) results.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 2:52 PM

Updated the putting guide for relevance with the new putter release including a paragraph to teach folks how to figure out their marks when they buy a new putter with different scales.

I'm glad so many people have found this useful! :)

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:34 AM

Thanks for your putting guide - VERY helpful.

Are the putting grid lines a certain distance?  One foot each?  Or what?  And how can this help in judging how to play the breaks?

• fljww
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 5:17 PM

Great info.   I wondered what the colors represented.  Now I know!  Great info on speed as well. Get the speed down, the rest will come.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 5:32 PM

MalamaMakena:

Thanks for your putting guide - VERY helpful.

Are the putting grid lines a certain distance?  One foot each?  Or what?  And how can this help in judging how to play the breaks?

IIRC... the gridlines are in 2' increments.

I could be wrong... check it out next time you have to line one up.....

• whitten1823
    84 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 12:40 AM

Does anyone know the footage on the Taylor Made Spider Putter. I just bought it and am having trouble figuring it out. Thank you for any help.

RSS