Forums

Help › Forums

Being moderated-my take.

Mon, Mar 21 2022 8:27 AM (137 replies)
  • Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2021 11:07 AM

pdb1:
    Other than what I try to convey is positive and helpful .

problem is you post so much wrong stuff that anything you post is suspect. 

And your posts are usually exceedingly long and hard to follow.  They are very disjointed. Ramble here. Ramble there.

The longer words are often misused.

Some people think you do it on purpose for troll effect. I personally think it's more of a comprehension issue. The synapses aren't connecting.

I'm not sure which is worse. 

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2021 1:17 PM

WORD OF THE DAY

Paul... if you want to be helpful and not just post for the sake of posting, this is the recipe I'd suggest you follow:

1. Post less
    2. Shorten your posts when you do post
    3. If a question has already been answered, don't repeat the answer
    4. If you don't know the answer to a question, or how something works, don't reply
    5. Put your trophies on people's Walls, not in the Forums

I think if you started doing all that, you'd start getting a lot more respect here in the Forums.  And it might go a long way towards helping you eventually get off of moderation.  Just my thoughts.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2021 3:52 PM

SamSpayed:
    You post tons of misinformation, and the saddest thing about that is that when you do so, you mislead new players who don't know any better.

So that's his biggest crime?  Where do you set the bar on this?  How about someone who seems to think wgt can do no wrong for example, obviously untrue but unlikely to get moderated I suppose.  I would also disagree with your apparent assumption that new players are inherently stupid.

Very few (bordering on none?) new players will read through Paul's posts (I could stop there but....) and damage their game from doing that.   I personally think that the majority on here mislead new players about vem, the new players will then see it in their game so instead of fixing what they are doing wrong they'll just blame mistakes on that.

These reasoned, and genuinely meant, posts are what a forum is about but I do think they are damaging.  I really don't think Paul's are. 

SamSpayed:
    There is an internet adage called Godwin's Law that you might be familiar with.  I am going to coin a new, similar law that I'll call "Sammy's Law".  My new law states that the longer a WGT forum thread goes on, the higher the probability becomes that pdb1 will post some utter nonsense in that thread. 

The big difference being that Godwin's Law is not aimed as an insult toward a specific person whereas "Sammy's Law" is.   The fact it's true is irrelevant, it's also true that in these circumstances the probability of you, me or anyone posting utter nonsense grows as does the possibility of us posting something to show understanding of someone who clearly has this forum as an important part of his life, although it may need to be a very long thread for the latter to happen.

I don't disagree that his posts sometimes seem random and are annoying; one long post accused me of falsely accusing someone and came with quotes from my post to show this, trouble was the quotes from my post were in fact me quoting the other person :-/.  Confusing enough to get me moderated?  Anyway the thread was frozen before I could reply (or maybe I'd be moderated now) but if it hadn’t been I’d have answered that particular post saying where and why it was wrong not join a campaign and suggest publicly that he should be moderated more.

I could point to other people that I find a waste of space and annoying, but I don’t think they should be moderated.  I can ignore them or, if in the mood for it, enjoy getting annoyed reading what they say and maybe even reply.

Yes he gets things wrong but generally he apologises and fixes things as best as he can, as you would if you repeated as fact some utter nonsense you heard about the gambling laws in Scotland ;-)

Mythanatos:

Some people think you do it on purpose for troll effect. I personally think it's more of a comprehension issue. The synapses aren't connecting.

Are you seriously suggesting that he should post less as he isn't intelligent enough for you?  Maybe he’s just not pompous enough.

The bottom line for me here is intention; does Paul try to help people or is he deliberately misleading them.  It looks to me like he's trying to be helpful and sometimes not being very good at it, other times he does help people.  If he helps half the people he tries to that'll be a lot more than most of us.

Sam the thread you linked, the one nobody replied to, what possible harm did that do to anyone?  Personally I did click some of the links and look at the threads.

Simply don’t read his posts if you don't like them, don’t try to ruin the enjoyment he gets from constructing them, that's just destructive.

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2021 9:24 PM

pdb1:

Now when somebody says something like this .

Mythanatos:

Doesn't it look more like he is trolling or not comprehending ?  It certainly does to me .

As there is no basis or evidence to that effect . Completely out of left field .

He says his nerves aren't connecting .

Paul, Mythanatos is referring to your synapses, not his.  I think he's dead on accurate.  I mean, you yourself just said:

pdb1:
      Sometimes I do have a memory problem .

And in another thread yesterday, where you were called out for yet another mistake:

pdb1:
      How about early Alzheimer's . No joke . Something I don't want to admit .

I think that may explain a lot.

My opinions on your ongoing moderation notwithstanding, I do sincerely hope for the best for you, Paul.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2021 3:39 AM

pdb1:
      Thank you . I think DP .

Lol, I know what you mean.

Paul I'm not going to say you're always right on point or whatever, you're not, but I do believe you are trying to help/inform and that's a good thing.

Your right to post is, and should be, the same as everyone else's.  Whether you should be in moderation I really don't know but I think for others to suggest to you in an open forum that you should be moderated more is, I feel, wrong.

Sometimes I read your posts in detail, sometimes I skim them and sometimes I ignore them, that's my choice the same one everyone has. 

pdb1:
    DP I do not remember when I or if I challenged you . It must have been as you said . I probably should have stayed out of it .

The case I was referring to you had posted many times earlier in the thread and you seemed to understand what was being talked about/what the evidence was but in your last post as well as suggesting wrongly I said things to someone (I in fact quoted them saying them) you asked what the evidence was (it was in the first post and often talked about).  If you can find the time try to read through the whole thread and maybe you'll see what I mean.

I do think that recently you've been worse at remembering things.  If you're seriously worried about memory loss please get it checked out there could be many reasons for this, vitamin B-12 deficiency and sleep deprivation being two, other than Alzheimer's.

To me the main problem here is is how wgt apply moderation,  the way it works helps nobody.  First off you see moderated posts asking questions about how to download, how to get credits and generally fundamental enquiries that are approved but not answered.

Why would that be? Is it a wgt employee reads them and doesn't answer ("that's someone else's job, I'm not doing it") or is the whole system automated in some way?  I can't see the latter being the case.  I did spend a long time on moderation and, like you, couldn't figure out why some posts went through while others didn't.  I too would keep them and look back mystified,  I even wondered at one point if it was that every third post was blocked.

As well as the above a moderated persons posts are slotted in to a thread at the time they were submitted and as that can happen days later (when the thread has moved on)  leading to confusion and repetition for everyone, not just the moderated poster.  You can also edit your posts (say what you like) without moderation so really overall what's the point in it.

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2021 11:45 AM

pdb1:
    Neither of you are qualified to make any diagnosis on anyone .

I think everyone here is qualified to say that you are nuckin futz.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2021 4:49 PM

I am trying to be thoughtful and considerate here, I hope it is read with that intention.

pdb1:
    And what business is it of yours

Sometimes Paul - you make it our business by merely interjecting into as many forum threads as possible.  That does not mean you have not tried to have good intentions, but it also does not mean you have never written something wrong or inaccurate.

It is just as reasonable to slow down - be concise and ensure accuracy rather than rush to get in yet another post. 

I am not saying some responses to you are completely justified, but I also have observed people attempting to be cordial and respectful yet you still remain defiant on some topics where others are more knowledgeable, even when they are trying to be helpful.

Increasing the Quality of your post versus increasing the Quantity of them could possibly help.  You alluded to rushing or not paying close enough attention - well that can be part of the problem.  Take the time to confirm or verify those things.

---

As Dodgyputter noted - the false statement you made in that thread, which I also participated in, before it was closed - was also what rubbed me the wrong way - because once it was closed no one was capable of correcting that statement and it could be one of the last things people see and assume there was some merit to it - if they did not follow the entire thread.

It was after that - I started paying attention to a few of your post and there were at least 3 or 4 recently that I felt were not quite accurate - but I had not been in all of those threads or discussions so I left it for others to correct.  I did not  feel it was my place to correct you - because it was not a thread I had any vested interest in or been involved in that discussion already - and I would have been interjecting just to correct you - that would have felt like I was targeting you and looked like I was making an excuse just to point out where you were not being accurate or making a false claim.  

I have learned quite a bit in my relatively short 4 1/2 years - but I still don't claim to know everything.  I still consult others whom I think may have a better understanding of something than me - and I will do that before I post sometimes - if it is important - I may even ask someone to review a post before sharing it in the  open forum because I am thoughtful enough that I don't want to come across as overly harsh or a bully or a troll. 

That does not mean, some people will still think or feel that way, but I genuinely try to be considerate.  Also, sometimes, it is the people that care enough to say - hey - you don't quite seem like yourself  lately, have you checked in with anyone about that?  Family members, friends, or even a doctor?  

This is not a judgement or a diagnosis - its a reflection based on observations of the exchanges you have had with others.  

For what it is worth - I lost an uncle to Alzheimer's - it is not fun and it is also hard on friends and family members.  If this is a diagnosis and not just suspected then - make sure you are getting some help - don't live in denial it is not going to get better. 

Find a support group - learn what you can to manage it as best you can - You can have good days and bad days - but if you are not careful - you may drive us crazy as well as feel like we are driving you crazy.  

Please - take care of yourself!  We can't do that for you - you have to. 

RSS